Photo

Disney to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd.; Episode VII aiming for 2015

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

Many of you have probably heard this by now but since no topic's been made yet...

http://thewaltdisney...e-lucasfilm-ltd

It's not a joke. And I'm honestly not sure what to think of all this. I mean, clearly Disney's ownership of other major corporations (such as Marvel) hasn't ill effected them at all. Quite the opposite, actually, if you consider the recent success of Marvel Studios films. But I'm unsure what this means for the Star Wars franchise in general. I may have missed something, but does this pertain to the video game company LucasArts as well? What about the Clone Wars animated series? The books and comics and other media? And will Episode VII suck like the prequels, actually be pretty good, or just be some garbage cookie-cutter sci-fi plot?

I'm just confused right now as to the fate of the entire franchise, and hoping it doesn't degenerate with Disney's apparent desire to make an Episode VII. Something set just after the original trilogy, or far after? And will it, like Clone Wars, totally chew up and spit out the canon established in the expanded universe? (Though as far as Clone Wars goes, if it ends up on Disney Channel, then it's a perfect fit, since Disney Chanel is the home of shitty shows now. icon_heh.gif )

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Oct 31 2012, 12:17 AM) View Post

And will it, like Clone Wars, totally chew up and spit out the canon established in the expanded universe?

Let's hope so. I've read enough wiki articles to know that Disney could write a much better story than that.

Anyways, yeah. Interesting. Hey, more Star Wars. And while I have nothing against the man (believe it or not), I'm sure plenty of people are glad that somebody besides George Lucas is handling the series now. So yay.

#3 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

And now, a look into Disney headquarters...

President: Well, we've just announced plans to develop a new entry in the Star Wars franchise. Has anybody here watched the Star Wars movies?

(everybody starts to shake their heads)

President: None of you, huh? Hmm... Well then, do we have any ideas on how to approach this script, then?

Lackey No. 01: We could watch the films first and get an idea on the general plot.

President: Are you mad! There's like, six of the damned things. That would take far too long! Any other suggestions?

Lackey No. 02: Well, we could always skim through the Wikipedia article. That should give us a general idea on what we're working with.

President: Ugh. Too much reading. I'm nixing that one. Anybody else?

Lackey No. 03: Hire a consultant? We find somebody who's watched all the movies and use them to bounce ideas off of.

President: Remember what I said earlier? There are six movies to have to deal with. There's no way we'd find anybody obsessed enough to know all the details to that much screen time. God, that has to be the dumbest idea yet!

Lackey No. 01: I bought my kid the Star Wars Kinect game. He never touches the thing, so I could bring it in tomorrow and we can look off of that.

President: Brilliant! We'll go with that!

(The next day...)

President: Hmm... There appears to be a dance version of this on here. Well, High School Musical was a big hit. Let's design the movie after this...

#4 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hmmm. I actually heard about this from my older brother. A Star Wars film made by Disney huh? Could be interesting.

#5 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Star Wars: The Musical is all I heard when I read this. Star Wars: Enchanted? Star Wars: Beyond the Galaxy Far, Far Away? Star Wars: War of the Stars?

Eh. The film will be what it will be. I wonder when they will start on Star Wars additions to Disney World. icon_blah.gif

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

It'll have to be added in Tomorrow Land.

#7 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I was genuinely shocked when I heard this yesterday. Like, wow.

I thought I'd stopped caring about Star Wars years ago and yet I find myself really, really intrigued by an Episode 7 not led by Lucas himself. It's... maybe not necessarily that I want to see the movie, at this point, but that I'm just really curious as to how they go about making the thing. The potential is endless! As are the ways in which this can turn out terribly! But however this goes, good or bad, I am interested.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

For the record the only Disney I've ever liked was the John Carter film (well that's not true there were some fun
comic books starring Mickey and friends). The point is, I really dislike Disney, but Disney also owns Marvel so
I'm not going to say that just because Disney owns something that it is going to be ruined.

My cynical side says that the series was already ruined by the prequels and can't get any worse.
It's going to take a truly amazing movie to get me to care about Star Wars again.
I know the series was originally a 9 movie story, but wasn't that also when Return of the Jedi
would have been the 9th film? I'm not sure about that, but I was under that impression.

That's going to be the real difficult part, making a movie without the Empire or the Sith.
I'm sure the gajillion books have plenty of other villains, but will a general audience buy it?
I've always wanted to see an older Luke and Leia as Jedi Masters in charge of a growing school,
and it might be very interesting to see how Han Solo's character changes with age.

EDIT: I don't think we need the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, and Qui-Gon to reappear,
but it's interesting just knowing that those actors are still around (well the newer versions anyway).

Edited by Cukeman, 31 October 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#9 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hey, they can't do any worse than Lucas did. I welcome our new overlords!

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Star Wars in the next Kingdom Hearts game, anyone B)? Lightsaber Keyblade...

Edited by Koh, 31 October 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#11 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 31 2012, 08:20 PM) View Post

Hey, they can't do any worse than Lucas did. I welcome our new overlords!

My thoughts exactly. I just don't understand the plethora of upset fans--although the concerns about milking the franchise for merchandising are legitimate.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Disney-Hands-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-to-the-Writer-of-Toy-Story-3

Hell... yes...! Now I'm freaking excited about this movie. Get a solid director for the spectacle and this may very well be the best Star Wars yet - yes, even better than the original trilogy. I went there.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'm waiting for the director announcement myself. I'm not too thrilled about the writer... but I've only seen Toy Story 3 and none of his other works, so I'm not very familiar with him. Hoping for a good director. The director will make or break this project, or at least this first installment of the new trilogy.

#14 Happy

Happy

Sprotret

• Banned

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Nov 11 2012, 01:24 AM) View Post

I'm waiting for the director announcement myself. I'm not too thrilled about the writer... but I've only seen Toy Story 3 and none of his other works, so I'm not very familiar with him. Hoping for a good director. The director will make or break this project, or at least this first installment of the new trilogy.

I've seen all his works, the only good thing he's put out is Toy Story 3. That said, I'm still going to watch this film. There's no way it could possible be as bad as the prequels.

I'm actually looking forward to Episode VII (or whatever it'll be named), I have a feeling it'll be great. Don't let the fact that Disney bought out Lucasfilm bother you much. Everyone went nuts after Disney bought out Marvel, and just look at The Avengers.

Edited by Happy, 13 November 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I heard they're bringing back the Vader. Didn't he die or something? [/notafan]

What is interesting about this whole thing however, especially for fans, is that Disney loves releasing 'original', but remastered copies of classic movies. Meaning we might get to see the old Star Wars-movies without all the shitty things they've added to them since release.

Not that I personally care, as I said, I'm not a fan of Star Wars. But for fans of the franchise, I suppose this is good news... ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users