Photo

Screenshot of the Week 359

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 359 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Jared - I guess it's designed well, but I've never really cared much for this tileset. It all... seems to blend together too much. I dunno, I guess I prefer design over graphics, and as far as design goes, well, it's not bad, but it's not the best of the entrants thus far.

William - Easily the best shot of the bunch, no contest. The design is wonderful, perfect, and nostalgic, the clouds give a new layer of feeling to the shot, there's pretty much nothing wrong with this shot at all.

Twinblake - Eh... I don't really like it. The palette doesn't feel right, and some of the tiles (mostly those rocks) suffer as a result. That, and the tile variation of the desert floor looks awkward, but I guess that's the set's fault.

Dragonite - Looks very, very good, I can't really point out anything I'd change about it, except it has maybe a little too much grass, but since there aren't a lot of walkable tiles, I suppose this is forgiven.

#17 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Jared icon_confused.gif
Though the graphics in this screen are pretty, the screen itself is a very generic one. If you had placed something unique and memorable in it (like something capable of bringing back my childhood,) I would have voted for this. You must not rely solely on a tileset to net you victory. icon_confused.gif

William icon_biggrin.gif
Do you know what that smile means, William? It means I voted for your screen. Your screen has a nice house in it and some pretty clouds that are transparent. The fact that it does not use a popular tileset is also a plus. icon_biggrin.gif

Twinblake icon_unsettled.gif
It is your typical desert area, so it does not strike me as original in any way other than having the Labrynna Past palette. icon_unsettled.gif

Dragonite icon_unsettled.gif
I have seen plenty of screens like this one before in quests. I do agree with CastChaos on the fact that the classic tileset does have potential (especially if it makes use of 8-bit mode,) but this screen just doesn't stand out to my eyes. icon_unsettled.gif

#18 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm sad because I know that Jared's screen is going to beat Dragonite's in the end. And if that happens I will probably rage so hard I'll die of being too angry.

Dragonite 4 life.

#19 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I voted Dragonite I liked the overall layout. Very good!

The others, good job but they didn't catch my eye at all this week.

#20 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

I just realized the trees in Jared's shot aren't quite used right either. The tree is shorter than the mountain but the tree top overlaps it...

#21 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

There is a three-way tie now! I hope William wins, because his screen is the most inspired.

#22 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

I'm rooting for Dragonite because William's shot is nice but the trees clash and his link tiles are really weird...

Also let it never be forgotten that at one point in time, a classic shot was in the lead.

#23 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Looks like William won this week, great job! icon_smile.gif

#24 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool considering how I checked this thread this morning and was actually losing by a couple of votes. Great shots this week, guys! Closest SotW I've seen in a long time. Four shots with ten or more votes! icon_smile.gif

#25 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'd hate to echo most of what's been said, but that's difficult to do when it's taken me so long to reply to this. :B

Jared: The design is alright, but not too exciting. I'm not a huge fan of the tileset, either. Everything blends to an extent where it's difficult to distinguish the subject unless you know what you're looking for. (...If that makes sense.) Overall, though, not bad.

William: In comparison to Jared's, I have the opposite problem, here. Again, the design is pretty fine, but this tileset doesn't flow. There's style clashing, and everything in general looks a little off to me. Those tall trees drive me insane, and they don't really work with the smaller trees in the bottom right; the house sticks out like a sore thumb, too. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I feel like I would absolutely love this shot were it in any tileset but this one. icon_confused.gif A good shot, nonetheless.

Twinblake: My vote went here. It has it's flaws, but it's my favorite of the four. The dirt piles look a little odd in comparison to everything else, but I'm not really sure what could be done about it. The flatness of the land seems kind of boring at first, but it gives it a nice desert-y feeling so I'm not complaining. icon_thumbsup.gif

Dragonite: No complaints! Since you're using Classic, I don't think so much grass is necessary, but it's really a matter of opinion. I just think my eyes would get tired if I saw that much on every screen when playing an actual quest. Good job!

#26 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

I voted several days ago, but didn't get around to posting until now.

Jared - A-
Very nice. That couldn't have been easy to make either. I have no criticisms, because I can't think of any. My vote went here.

William - B+
Seems like you got a project going with Chain of Destiny tileset, considering this is the second one you submitted. Again, not a tileset among my favorites list, but the screen design is very sound.

Twinblake - B
Not a screen to drool over, but it works well for a desert screen. Great gameplay elements being seen. Quicksand or conveyorsand? Did I just make up that last one?

Dragonite - B
Similar evaluation to the one above. Nothing to drool over (hey, it's classic), but it works well, and is thus an above average classic screen.

#27 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Mar 18 2012, 01:21 PM) View Post

Nothing to drool over (hey, it's classic)

Just to clear things up, you don't mean to imply that a screen being made in the classic set makes it inferior automatically, right?

#28 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Mar 14 2012, 10:25 AM) View Post

Jared icon_confused.gif
Though the graphics in this screen are pretty, the screen itself is a very generic one. If you had placed something unique and memorable in it (like something capable of bringing back my childhood,) I would have voted for this. You must not rely solely on a tileset to net you victory. icon_confused.gif

And I'm supposed to know what was in your childhood, right? -__-

#29 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

Jared - 16 votes = 27.12%
William - 17 votes = 28.81%
Twinblake - 11 votes = 18.64%
Dragonite - 15 votes = 25.42%

Total Votes: 59

William
IPB Image
Link leaves his secret house, secluded in a mountain range, and heads to the enemy-occupied town near the old Hyrule Castle.

Congrats William! icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users