Metroid: Samus Returns

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

So my nice uncle Reggie was able to help me out with an early copy.

8PC2AXx.jpg

Don't worry, I plan on buying it legit when it actually comes out, but I'm getting started now.

EDIT: okay, wow this looks great. It really is the game we've been asking for for over a decade. I will gladly buy it, and show support.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#77 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

It's apparently at 88/100 on Metacritic, which is a nice surprise considering the development team of this game (and I more mean Mercury-Steam than Sakamoto). So I'm glad to see some critic love, especially for a Metroid game.

• Anthus likes this

#78 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

OMG you're a Fils-Aime?

• Anthus likes this

#79 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

OMG you're a Fils-Aime?

I don't like to tell a lot of people, but if my hairy knuckles are any indication...

So far, this is really good. I'm not gonna spoil stuff, but let me just say that this is a Metroid fan's Metroid. At least from my initial 90 minute impressions. Once you get the parry mechanic down, it's really satisfying. I haven't fought any bosses yet, but I have about 9% of the map filled in. I'm not very far at all. There are a few subtle mechanical changes that fans of the 2D games will notice, but I'm hoping this game will go on to become it's own thing, and not be compared so much with other 2D Metroids, cause the 3rd dimension, and all-direction aiming really make it feel like a different style. As far as comparing it to AM2R, well, it's hard to say so far.

#80 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

I've been playing it at pretty much every opportunity since the digital version had a midnight release on the eShop, and my opinion is that both this and AM2R are good experiences in their own ways.

I did kind of fumble around the controls for the first portion of the game since I'm used to having jump and shoot on A and B thanks to all the Virtual Console stuff I have on my system (including GB Metroid II), but the only thing that's bothered me so far is an inability to strafe (likely due to the Old 3DS not having enough buttons, and the additional buttons/stick on the New don't do anything); it's not a necessary thing, but there have been more than a few places where it could have been helpful.

Edited by Espilan, 15 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#81 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hello game...

...goodbye life....

(In all seriousness, I'm only about an hour and a half in and I'm enjoying it, especially the enhanced graphics and all of the new stuff. I won't offer any details yet, to avoid spoilers.)

• Anthus likes this

#82 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:27 PM

I got it today, and wow. I've never fully finished (or even owned) a "2D" Metroid game...only played the Prime trilogy. Amazing so far. I'm HOOKED. And also lost. Just like I was on the VC version of Metroid II. :P

• Anthus likes this

#83 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:22 AM

Can the controls be configured? If not, I'll pass. Excluding emulation where controls can be reconfigured however you please, I hate the default button configuration and physical button layouts that they go with for all the games excluding the SNES (I can reconfigure the controls!) and NES games.

#84 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Can the controls be configured? If not, I'll pass. Excluding emulation where controls can be reconfigured however you please, I hate the default button configuration and physical button layouts that they go with for all the games excluding the SNES (I can reconfigure the controls!) and NES games.

No, you can't. This is a Nintendo game after all. For what it's worth, I think the controls work really well here. My only minor complaint is that I wish the instant morph ball could be triggered with a button (ZL or ZR) instead of tapping the map. I think that was an after thought when they saw AM2R. :P

Made it to what I think is the second to last area. That is, unless this game pulls a Zero Mission and adds stuff after the original ended.

Edit: I'm not sure if I even need a hard mode. This game is not exactly easy.
  • Jared likes this

#85 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Made it to a boss, and wow, this thing is harder than anything I've seen in a 2D Metroid. I'm taking a break and going back and getting as much stuff from previous areas as I can.

Aeion/Puzzle spoiler:

Spoiler

Edit: Only 3 Metroids to go. This is getting intense.

Edit 2: Made it back to my ship. Hoooo boy.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#86 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Nintendo is a company that rarely does remakes. I'm trying to think how many they've made. There's Zero Mission, there's Samus Returns obviously, but that's not developed directly by Nintendo are there any others? I don't like to call graphical updates remakes, because they still feel like the same engine and levels for the most part.

Let's see...

Hmm, the point of trying to list all that (and I'm sure it's an incomplete list) is just because this game got me thinking about Zelda remakes, specifically Z2, but also Z1. I do often ponder why Nintendo doesn't do that many full-on remakes.

#87 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hm, there's also Super Mario Bros. DX for the GameBoy Color, and a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the GBA called Nightmare in Dreamland which are both made by Nintendo. EDIT: There's also a remake of Kirby: Super Star for the DS.

#88 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

You're forgetting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokken Tournament DX, Super Mario Maker 3DS, Hyrule Warriors Legends, LTTP + Four Swords, and all of the NES Ports on GBA. They aren't exactly light in the ports/remakes/remasters.

#89 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

Made it to a boss, and wow, this thing is harder than anything I've seen in a 2D Metroid.

I'm pretty sure I know the boss you're talking about here, it hits really hard even through the upgraded suit's damage reduction.

Spoiler

Hoooo boy.

Spoiler

• Anthus likes this

#90 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

Spoiler

However- i am hoping for a Super Metroid and Fusion remake now because of the cliff hanger at the end of the game remake..*

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 18 September 2017 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users