Sonic Mania

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#46 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

I grew up with PC games, the Genesis (all Sonics), the Playstation, and the Gameboys.  We got a PS2 later.  I played the Nintendo home consoles at friend's houses, like Mario Kart or GoldenEye on N64.  I didn't HATE the N64 graphics, but the blurriness made my eyes hurt, because they're trying to focus the textures in vain.

Edited by Koh, 26 July 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#47 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

Isn't this CRT discussion kind of a moot point anyways? Sure it affects old consoles and ports of old games, but I'm sure games designed for modern TVs can create whatever visual effects they want.

• Shane likes this

#48 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

For those curious about the dithering effect, compare these images:

http://retro-sanctua...ransparency.gif

http://retro-sanctua...ransparency.gif

Source and more examples: http://retro-sanctua... differing.html

1st image Clearly shows how the effect was programmed and the second image gives you an idea of what it looks like on a lot of CRT TV's with either RF or Composite A/V cables.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 26 July 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#49 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

Yup, exactly as blurry as I remember it being, lol.  But hey, it's fine if other people like it, but my poor eyes just can't take it for too long XD.  

#50 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:59 AM

Yup, exactly as blurry as I remember it being, lol.  But hey, it's fine if other people like it, but my poor eyes just can't take it for too long XD.  

If the blurring could be only applied to the parts that need it in order to look correct, that'd be awesome but yeah I agree about the blur, I hate it too these days. The comparison image with the blur I believe is simply applying bilinear blurring to the image which is worse than what it'd look like on a CRT with a RF or Composite A/V cable. I hate bilinear filtering and scaling with a passion, it's like smearing Vaseline on the computer display.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 27 July 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#51 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

One thing I have to say, after seeing more gameplay of this, is I really hope they upgrade the tilegraphics too at some point.  Sonic's got all new sprites with more colors and such, but the Green Hill tiles, for example, look copy and paste, so the contrast in detail is a bit jarring.

#52 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

We only saw a glimpse of Green Hill, and the background looks more detailed than the original in the shot of Sonic fighting that ball thing. I suspect we'll see some other minor visual improvements, and there are likely already subtle things in there that are hard to notice. This is minor but I kinda hope there is an option to turn off Sonic's trail behind him. That effect can stay with the GBA games.

#53 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

From this.

#54 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

The Green Hill graphics looking so similar to the original was intentional. If you look insanely closely, there are some differences. For instance, if you look at the background, there's a small stream on the mountains that was originally a tile error in the original. There are also some additional shadows added in, but nothing that you'd notice in a casual glance. You'd have to know every pixel of the original by heart, so needless to say, the guys at Sonic Retro have already pointed out most of the callbacks and differences in even Green Hill Zone.

The fun thing is looking at their thread on Studiopolis Zone, and seeing all of the callbacks and references there. There are a ton of really insanely subtle ones that nobody would ever know of. For instance, the Popcorn machine is based on an actual Sonic popcorn machine in Japan. There's a tiny blue logo on the part that Sonic exits through along with the popcorn, and that logo was originally from Wing Fortress in Sonic 2. The scaffolding used on the platforms came from a canceled game called "Sonic Crackers". The radio-broadcast effect from the truck is made to reference the "teleporters" in Death Egg Zone from Sonic & Knuckles. The logo on said truck came from the Game Gear. The logo on the "EGG NOG" sign in the background uses tiles from Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2.

• Anthus likes this

#55 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

Interestingly, I thought Studiopolis Zone was just a made-up and Sonic-sounding stage name, but apparently Studiopolis is actually a voiceover studio in LA, responsible for the English voice dubbing of, you guessed it, the Sonic series, at least since 2010 anyway.

#56 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

So what I'm taking away from this is that they hired the biggest Sonic nerd in existence to make what's essentially a company-funded back-to-the-roots fan game. I have zero complaints with this.
  • SpikeReynolds and Anthus like this

#57 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

I just noticed the spinning island in the background on the title screen is Sonic's head.

And Kurt, are you sure you're not secretly Christan Whitehead? :P
  • SpikeReynolds likes this

#58 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

I'm fairly certain. For one thing, I can't program worth crap. :)

No, I just go on Sonic Retro all the time, and the people there are absolutely insane about this kind of stuff. Same way as if I asked on this site how many carrots Epona uses on average to get from Lake Hylia to Death Mountain in Ocarina of Time to deliver the eye drops before they expire, somebody would probably be able to tell me.

Edited by kurt91, 27 July 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#59 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

It takes about 17 carrots if you don't use the last one, and make them take longer to refill :blah:

#60 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, it'd be great it the N64 had an option to turn off the blur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users