Photo

Screenshot of the Week 123

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 123 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 123

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

Not the best of weeks... nothing really outstanding... but I voted for Radien's. I think the graphics looks great, love the walls... Serena is a bit big though... looks like she'd have to duck through those doors. I think if you were going to use a bigger player sprite you'd need a whole lot of new tiles, since the tile database is built for 16x16 player sprites.

Speaking of the doors though, I noticed you've got those pillars on each side of every door... maybe you could bend them in a bit to fit with the doors perspective? It looks good anyway, but just for that added polish icon_wink.gif

#17 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:56 PM

nothing really outstanding, I null voted. But I would vote for the one Gashin offered for 124, if it were entered in 123 though. Too bad it wasn't. It'd get my vote.

#18 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

haha, you flatter me, DFW. I may submit a simmilar shot next week, depending on my homework load after tomorrow

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(Firefly @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM)
{no caps allowed}radien:
Great shot, I love the walls, too bad they're incomplete in DoR v0.9.

View Post

Incomplete? To put it mildly. What I included in the DoR set was just a loose tile submission recolored for DoR. It wasn't even combo'ed; I just figured it'd be nice to have there. What you see used in this screenshot required about 10 times as many tiles. Seriously.

For those of you who have issue with big Serenia:

I defy you!! icon_wink.gif

I remember back when I was first drawing the original Serenia tiles. I felt so limited by the 16x16 tile frame. I had to squish her, and squish her, until I could hardly see any of her body, and there wasn't even one row of "shadow" pixels separating her feet from the ground. In the small tiles, her head is bigger than the rest of her body combined. From the bottom of the tile to the top, there are only 5 rows of pixels allocated to her body before her chin starts. In the "up" facing tiles, I've always found it amusing that you can't see anything but her hair. icon_lol.gif

Serenia's 17 years old, guys. She is at least 5'0." I may make her sprite a little bit shorter than the you see now, but not by much. Or, I might attempt to "rotate" the perspective to seem a little bit more "overhead." Her current size is about the same as LTTP Link, and the walls and other elements of this dungeon use the exact same scale as LTTP, so I don't buy the statement that the dungeon is out of proportion. As it stands in ZC ver. 2.11, Serenia would look odd next to some of the humanoid enemies, but none of the enemies in this particular screenshot are out of proportion. If big enemy tiles are supported in a future version (and I have reason to believe that they will be), I won't be changing the size of the Zols or the Keeses.

I really think that most of you are simply too used to ZC proportions. 16x16 is a very strange size for SNES-quality sprites, unless they are zoomed-out map sprites that are only about 6 pixels wide (like in Chrono Trigger).

In any case, I WILL be using the extended sprite tiles, but don't expect to see a final version of DoR which has any weird-sized humanoid sprites. I will change the size of all the NPCs to match Serenia, and I expect I'll eventually be able to do the same with enemy tiles. As for the dungeons, I think they're fine the way they are... for the most part.

For those of you who don't want to see 16x16 Serenia disappear completely, well, I do have a use for them: kid Serenia. All of her childhood flashbacks will use the original "chibi" sprites. icon_smile.gif The jury is still out on whether I will use Link Tile Mod to have Serenia be playable in a flashback.

#20 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

I voted for Linkus Mastii. That screen would be simple, but the tiles are so good, that it's the speciality.

Mighty Darknut: good spaceship.
Radien: Wow, extended "Link"! Good screen, very good.

#21 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

that and the current release of the DOR tileset has some horrible palette issues regarding boss monsters, namely digdoggers and gleeoks to name a few.

#22 Pol's Voice

Pol's Voice

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:55 AM

Linkus Mastii.....quite a cozy little house you got going there.

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ May 24 2006, 07:33 AM)
that and the current release of the DOR tileset has some horrible palette issues regarding boss monsters, namely digdoggers and gleeoks to name a few.

View Post

...And now you FINALLY reveal the problems you had...? Really, DFW, why so unspecific up until now? You never mentioned these problems to me while your quest was in progress, and even in your review you didn't specify what kind of palette problems. If you had mentioned it, I would have fixed the problems, reuploaded the tileset, and sent you fixed palette files so you wouldn't have had to do it yourself.

It would have been nice to have known, because I had been relying on people using the set to actually contact me when something went wrong. I do it that way because it's nearly impossible to find ZC tileset beta testers who actually DO something besides play around in the tile and combo menus. icon_sweat.gif I generally get a note in my email one day later that says "sure everythings fine no bugs release it!! icon_thumbsup.gif"

QUOTE(NoeL @ May 23 2006, 09:04 PM)
Speaking of the doors though, I noticed you've got those pillars on each side of every door... maybe you could bend them in a bit to fit with the doors perspective? It looks good anyway, but just for that added polish icon_wink.gif

View Post

Just noticed this post...
Sure, it's a possibility. icon_smile.gif I'll see how well the pillars respond to a simple realign.

I'm not too worried about that, though, as standard 2D Zelda perspective usually renders it much like those pillars.

#24 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

My shot looks extremely dark on my school's computer; does it look that way to anyone else?

#25 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

Radien:
I think your idea to go with the more overhead (notice, I said more) overhead) Serenia will be a good move. Not only will it be less work to try to make the enemies look good next to her, but it won't look as odd seeing her (or any sprite that's top-down) go through any door except the top wall's door. That's something about LttP and LoZ and every other 2-D Zelda game that's just bugged me: They look so odd walking through doorways. And, if this is a 2-D equivelant of a 'mature' Zelda game like, OoT, MM, or Twilight Princess, then that'd be the best way to go.

But, you're the quest maker. Everything of DoR I've seen to date has blown me away. I have no doubt that whatever you do will work.

icon_smile.gif

(EDIT - Post didn't look aesthetically pleasing to me. icon_lol.gif )

Edited by Reflectionist, 24 May 2006 - 12:51 PM.

#26 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Reflectionist @ May 24 2006, 10:48 AM)
Radien: I think your idea to go with the more overhead (notice, I said more) overhead) Serenia will be a good move. Not only will it be less work to try to make the enemies look good next to her, but it won't look as odd seeing her (or any sprite that's top-down) go through any door except the top wall's door. That's something about LttP and LoZ and every other 2-D Zelda game that's just bugged me: They look so odd walking through doorways. And, if this is a 2-D equivelant of a 'mature' Zelda game like, OoT, MM, or Twilight Princess, then that'd be the best way to go.

But, you're the quest maker. Everything of DoR I've seen to date has blown me away. I have no doubt that whatever you do will work.

icon_smile.gif

View Post

Thanks a lot. icon_smile.gif I've mainly been having trouble altering her head to look more "overhead" -- the rest is no trouble. Perhaps it will look better in time.

You're right that 2D Zelda games with larger sprites have always "fudged" it a bit with the doorways... but it's a compromise, I imagine. After all, the same Link sprites are used outdoors, and out there the landscape's perspective is not perfectly top-down; it's at about a three-quarters angle. Too much overhead would look weird.

But then, you did say that only a certain amount would look good... so... yeah, I'll just make it a judgement call, eh?

#27 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

although Im sure radiens new Serenia sprite is big news, its pretty badly made, pillow shading, bad selout and anti aliasing, the dungeon tiles albeit repetitive like any zelda game are nice.
Mighty Darknut's screen is nice, but the ship's perspective just doesnt work.

so Im voting for Linkus Mastii, nice sprites and tiles, and a nice change for once icon_smile.gif

infact, Im not quite sure whats the deal with the new version of ZC, but if you can have sprites with more animation frames, I'd recommend using the old serenia sprite more fluidly animated

Edited by .TakaM, 25 May 2006 - 01:42 AM.

#28 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

TakaM:

Like I said, a work in progress. I've already made some more changes since the posting of this submission (to my sprites, NOT the screenshot). And like I did with the original Serenia sprites, I will probably evolve them as I go along, making minor changes whenever I feel like dabbling.

In any case, if somewhere around 40-50 sprites are going to be necessary for the new player character tiles, don't you think it's a bit hasty to make a recommendation based on one sprite?

For the time being I'm probably going to go back to doing SOTW entries with the old Serenia, though, just to prevent running commentaries over a relatively small screenshot element. icon_razz.gif

As for the dungeon tiles, thanks. I may have some wall ornaments or somesuch, but as for the repeating floor... well, not every room in this dungeon is going to be a rising/falling peg puzzle.

#29 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

Radien wins this week, but not by much. great shots by all, I must say

SotW 124 will start tomorrow

#30 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

My goodness, you three are killing me here! I see three very high quality screens, almost dead even with each other in quality.

It took me several minutes to make a decision. I love Mighty Darknut's ship and Radien's walls and monsters. In the end I chose Linkus Mastii because that looks like custom work at its best. I love every little thing about that screen. That must have taken a very long time.

EDIT: Sorry about being late on the voting. I must have overlooked this entire week. Well, it doesn't change the result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users