Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

What would you like to see tutorials for?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hello, everyone! I'd like to ask your opinion on something important:

What types of tutorials do you want to see more of?

Is there anything in specific you feel needs instruction on, like setting up proper combo cycling? Perhaps specific scripting topics, such as ghost.zh or Tango? Maybe there's an old tutorial you feel needs updating to 2.5 features, or is missing pictures that will help? Let us know what you want, and we'll ensure tutorials on the subjects are made. If you feel like making a tutorial on anything in the list, please feel free to do so! :)

Current requests:

-Comprehensive Tango tutorial

-An in-depth FFC tutorial

-Combo Cycling tutorial

-Palette tutorial

• David and isilmo like this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

I'd love a Tango tutorial. That thing needs more exposure, and we can only have that if there is a proper guide to using it. Like, really, that thing can make custom subscreens and yes/no choices a breeze.

A Ghost tutorial would also be helpful for those who want custom enemies and don't know how.

Finally, an in-depth tutorial on FFC's would mean people don't have to learn it by guessing, like I did.

Edited by Dimentio, 10 November 2015 - 11:39 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Rambly and David like this

#3 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

I'd love a Tango tutorial. That thing needs more exposure, and we can only have that if there is a proper guide to using it. Like, really, that think can make custom subscreens and yes/no choices a breeze.

A Ghost tutorial would also be helpful for those who want custom enemies and don't know how.

Finally, an in-depth tutorial on FFC's would mean people don't have to learn it by guessing, like I did.

We actually do have a tutorial for ghost.zh right here, but apparently, Lejes intends to update it in the future. I hope it helps you well! :) For the FFC tutorial... When you say "in-depth", do you mean just the base features, or literally everything about FFCs, including how to properly set them up with scripts? Just want to be sure I list it all down correctly.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

A very basic FFC tutorial for beginners would be good. Using FFCs as tiles you can place freely for whatever purpose, maybe making a basic LTTP-style cannonball kind of thing, you know. Something with a goal to it. For many, FFCs are overlooked when even without scripting they can do some cool stuff. People seem to think they're just for scripts.

• Rambly likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:02 PM

Everything somebody would need to know about FFC's. How the movement and velocities work for them, how only damage, freeze, and warp combos work with them, and how the A1 and A2 variables work  (because I sure don't).

I didn't know there was a ghost tutorial out there. Thanks!

• Aquamentus (Facing Right) likes this

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:57 PM

My biggest lack in making new stuff in Zelda Classic comes in two areas, which I don't think I've ever seen tutorials for.

The first is creating/adjusting palettes. There are a lot of tilesets with different palettes and CSets, but I've no real clue how to make my own or alter the ones that already exist. Some of my attempts to add things to my quests have looked somewhat off as a result.

The second is how to use Combo Cycling and what can be done with it. I understand the basic concept, but I'm not sure what it's limits are or what the possible bugs that can occur when you use it might be.

A more thorough Tutorial on FFC set up and use would also be good in my opinion, since there are certain things which don't always work the way you might think that they should when it comes to FFC's.

• isilmo likes this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

A palette tutorial, that covers CSets, LSets, and 8-bit ripping all in one, would be fantastic. It would be even more brilliant, if you made that as a general Wiki tutorial page. I'd be more than happy to incorporate it there.

I started a Tango tutorial about a year ago, and I had to stop, as I'm including example code, and I wasn't quite ready to make some of it. I did however, make a few font-related things, including a full Katakana font, that I was going to include with that, as a package.

An ffc tutorial is the Devil's playground though, as you need to emphasis the difference between normal ffc movement, and scripted control; including issues with attempting to simultaneously use both.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 10 November 2015 - 12:44 AM.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Y'know what might be interesting? A "Basic Troubleshooting" guide. It's certainly far from a tutorial, but it would be extremely useful for people who are just stuck.

Things like "Why isn't my undercombo working?" or "why are my warps not working?" Just common little things that people ask about. I feel like a cursory glance at the ZQuest Help forum could uncover lots of potential questions and answers to summarize there.
  • coolgamer012345 likes this

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

Y'know what might be interesting? A "Basic Troubleshooting" guide. It's certainly far from a tutorial, but it would be extremely useful for people who are just stuck.

Things like "Why isn't my undercombo working?" or "why are my warps not working?" Just common little things that people ask about. I feel like a cursory glance at the ZQuest Help forum could uncover lots of potential questions and answers to summarize there.

That sort of thing belongs in the manual. Oh right, we only have a very short text file for that... :P

It's something I may one day sit down, and write; or blend with the Wiki; or both. Naturally, with an editor as complex as ZQuest, it can be a fair pain to preempt the types of troubleshooting topics that a manual needs.

I also like the idea of actual video tutorials, being a thing that we can use as a genuine resource, but someone would need to dedicate a fair amount of time to making something like that, as a full series.

#10 ZCnoob

ZCnoob

• Members

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

I'd like to know how to create a border around a string, so it's easier to read without changing the text color. I'm sure this already exists but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

#11 ALinkToThePast1992Canada

ALinkToThePast1992Canada

Link Is Linked To His Past

• Members

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

I wanna post a new topic on starting a new Full fledge 2.50 Tutorial for new people & advanced users, using custom tile sets (not the NES one) How to import & create scripts, custom enemies, bosses, all from start to finish, in a written guide with screen shots. But, i can't seem to post "New Topic" anywhere without an error with driver & database popping up. Is there anyway i can fix that so i can post a new topic? & does the size of the message count, like if it's 5000 letters, you can't post anything unless it's smaller?

Can you imbed screen shots and or Word Documents to posts/topics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users