Sword of Ruin

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Ok guys. I've made the decision that Sword of Ruin (the demo in my signature) will DEFINITELY be my next quest. So why not share what I've been doing with you guys?

Story: Essentially the main plot is that Link is given a mysterious sword by an old man named Abei claiming to be the Sage of Time. Link is tasked with using the sword to destroy 8 triforce shaped rocks and collect the 8 pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom. The twist here is that every time one of the rocks is destroyed, colossal damage is done to the nearby area (hence the name Sword of Ruin). I haven't yet decided whether to go with the obvious cliché and make Abei the villain or not as of right now.

Screenshots:
IPB ImageIPB Image
Beating dungeons makes changes to the overworld!
IPB Image
Rather nifty classic dunegons!
IPB Image
"Epic" custom bosses!
IPB Image
Ruinous swords that can destroy rocks!
IPB Image
Custom potions!
IPB Image
Bullets you should fear!

Notes: This quest is meant to be a challenge. If Link's Quest for the Hookshot gave you trouble, you might not enjoy this. Also, I'm making it my goal to use a grand total of 0 scripts while making this and relying merely on 2.5 tricks.

Demo: Demo 3 is here!

I would also like to thank Koh for posting those Link sprites in the database. They're so much better than the old tubby Link!

Edit: Show your support with the new Sword of Ruin support banner!
IPB Image

CODE
[url=http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47840][img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5269/sorsupport.png[/img][/url]

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 22 January 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#2 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

I'm going to love this icon_biggrin.gif well done!! I am achieving the 2,5 madness goal too good luck.

Edited by Midnight_King, 10 December 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for your support, Midnight_King. Hopefully I'll survive my constant struggle with overworld design. I freaking hate overworlds. It's even worse having to make every overworld TWICE!

#4 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

You might remember I tried this demo and got stuck in the Armolor boss battle. I could only get to the third one without dying but seeing this thread again thought I would try the demo again only to get stuck in the same battle by a clock, an unending clock. Well the good news is I can't die and the bad news is neither can the enemy hehehe. But really my question is: Is this the same demo download or a new updated one?

Edited by Mister Snooze, 12 December 2010 - 06:03 PM.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

It's the same demo as before, hence the old link tiles and no boss health bars. I may release a demo up through level 2 since this one didn't really showcase the overworld changing aspect.

As for the strategy to defeat Arement, what seems to be the problem? Are you at the part where he shoots fireballs from his shield or the part where all 3 heads detatch?

#6 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

What do I do next?

IPB Image

Edited by Mister Snooze, 12 December 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hint: The solution is at the top of the screen a little bit to the left of your sword. Yup. Use that.

#8 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

I love the screen design!! The blue dungeon is awesome for a classic dungeon!! AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif

#9 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

And he walked out side...oh no , I want more!!

Edited by Mister Snooze, 12 December 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

More you shall have. I have a new demo that features some of the ruin features and goes up through level 2 before you can't proceed any more.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 15 December 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#11 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Downloading now gonna make a good review icon_smile.gif in the meen time just wait as I play it.

#12 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Man this is going to be good
can't wait!! icon_drool.gif

#13 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

This looks promising. I don't have time to download and play the demo, but I can offer a good suggestion.

In my opinion, there's barely any difference between the normal area and the ruined area in your first pair of screenshots. You should try to make the original landscape more lush and the ruined one more uh, ruined I guess. The change should be a lot more drastic. That way, when the player leaves the dungeon the fact that the whole area is in ruin will be more of a shock. Also, I feel like adding those dots on the ground don't really convey the feeling of "ruin." I know it's classic and you can't really do too much with it, but maybe it would be a good idea to try making some stumps and crumbled structures.

So yeah, that's my two cents. When this is released I'll definitely give it a try.

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for your input, Zeeb. One thing I forgot to mention about the ruin feature is that the ruin effects are supposed to intensify with each triforce piece you obtain. Death mountain is only slightly changed because its an early area. The major changes are pools of lava and enemy difficulty spikes. I'm going to have lots of fun destroying the later areas. I should also mention that this quest's overworlds are HEAVILLY influenced by Castchaos's Ballad of a Bloodline (it's my favorite quest of all time), so expect similarities. One might even speculate that it takes place in Ellevania. If it's OK with Castchaos I might implement that into the story...

#15 Isdrakthül

Isdrakthül

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

It looks promising, but you've kind of mixed graphical styles in a few places (e.g., the ALttP Armos Knights in a Classic quest).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users