12 replies to this topic

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:56 PM

Hello there, it's me again!

With Screenshot of the Week 791 up and running, we're over the halfway point of Screenshot of the Week's schedule for 2023! In some weird way of symmetry, SotW 791 is the 20th Screenshot of the Week for the year.

Three months ago, I ran a poll about changing the schedule back to a weekly one, and while the weekly format has been successful, I'm still looking at ways to improve the contest format as a whole. My main concern for a while has been the amount of unique users submitting for the contests - that is, people who aren't regulars. I've even distilled it into a pie chart!

pla1Ea7.png

Some facts about this rather disorganised chart chart:

• The data used is based on people who submitted starting with SotW 772 (the first one this year) up to SotW 791 (the most recent)
  • Across 20 contests, there have been 30 unique submitters.
  • The top 5 submitters are Architect Abdiel, Feenicks, Twilight Knight, Joelmacool, and a tie for fifth place between Mitchfork and I.
  • Out of the 30 unique submitters, 16 have entered Screenshot of the Week 2023 just once. That's over half!
  • Another 5 have entered Screenshot of the Week 2023 twice - which combined with the 16 one-time entrants, takes us to 21 - or over two thirds of the unique submitters for Screenshot of the Week 2023.

With this rather broad look at the data, I want to ask some questions of the community:

• What would be a better way to encourage more people to submit screenshots? Currently, I do regular updates in the PureZC Discord notifying everyone of how many submissions we have. Depending on what's been submitted, this can range from two to three updates a week. Should I be looking to tie these into the announcements thread more, or do you have another suggestion about what might work?
  • If you've submitted once or twice, what do you think's something that would make you want to enter Screenshot of the Week more often? Honestly, I just want to see everyone submit their screens - win, lose or draw. I appreciate the people who have submitted multiple entries so far this year - without you, the contests wouldn't be happening on this regular a schedule - but I'd absolutely love to see more one or two-time entrants entering on a semi-regular basis!
  • Alternatively, if you haven't entered Screenshot of the Week yet, what do you think would be something that would make you want to enter? You've voted, you've left a nice comment, but maybe you're just not sure about entering a screenshot - what can we do to encourage you to enter?

I've really enjoyed running this rebooted version this year and I'm glad the feedback and response from everyone in the community has been positive as it has been! At the same time, I want to keep improving the way the contest is run to have the best iteration of it possible. :)

• Anthus, Shane and Joelmacool like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:32 PM

Cool chart, but I'm surprised I've only entered three times in the last six months lol.

#3 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 22 August 2023 - 12:09 AM

Cool chart, but I'm surprised I've only entered three times in the last six months lol.

it's also worth noting that it was fortnightly up to june, whereafter sotw went back to the weekly format - i.e. seven SotW contests were held over a three month period, whereas we've had tthirteen in nearly the same time frame since. so... the results get a little bit skewered when you consider that the bulk of submissions have been in the last three months.

in saying that, please absolutely submit everything you have that you think might be good because the more the better pls thank u

• Anthus likes this

#4 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:34 AM

My lack of entries is simply due to an overall lack of inspiration. Take that as you will, but I suspect a lot of peoples' minds are dulling over time.

I'm trying to actually play quests, so I can see whats been done and develop ideas again. The chart shows a lot of people have only entered once. Maybe people are "taking their last swing".

I am interested in participating though, as ZC is starting to get a number of new features that should jazz things up.

Edited by BigJoe, 22 August 2023 - 03:47 AM.

• Taco Chopper likes this

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:14 PM

I need to get more shots. My banked shots are starting to run out.

#6 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:31 PM

I need to get more shots. By banked shots are starting to run out.

You're down to your last eight - I'm shocked that your banked shots are in single digit territory!

#7 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:43 PM

I haven't been submitting a whole lot because I want to avoid submitting stuff that's not part of my quest projects and I have a lot I am keeping under wraps.

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 22 August 2023 - 11:30 PM

I haven't been submitting a whole lot because I want to avoid submitting stuff that's not part of my quest projects and I have a lot I am keeping under wraps.

I relate to this, but also figure it's good practice to do mock screens every now and again - especially in non-GB tilesets. Keeps the skill set sharp and all that.

The chart shows a lot of people have only entered once. Maybe people are "taking their last swing".

I think it's closer to what Orithan's suggested - i.e. keeping projects under wraps, as well as what you've mentioned about having the motivation, or even the time to make a screen with work/real life commitments being taken into consideration. A good example of this are SotW 779 and 780, where we received a massive influx of 1SG screens - one from each of the main contributors - ahead of the quest's release.

I think the whole "last swing" thing goes hand in hand with "ZC is dying" - which I don't agree with at all - but that's not what the discussion in here is about.

#9 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 23 August 2023 - 03:17 AM

On a personal level, there have been negative sentiments in the past (we may be talking years) that has put me off from entering screenshot contests. Kinda ruins the fun, you know? But the actual reason I haven't submitted much is more I haven't been using ZC to make screenshots at all. I'd like to change that though. :P

I don't think ZC is dying either, but I do think the past expectation from SotW made it harder to enter. It was either the extreme end of expecting your submission to be from an actual project or use an obscure tileset. Being in between really got you a lot of scrutiny and I think those sorts of entries died out. Though, from observing the past few discussions in SotWs, I do think people have gotten lighter on such expectations. Hopefully it will benefit the longevity of SotW. :)

Also, I do feel it being biweekly did hurt the contest. Ironically, I get the feeling people were more comfortable with not submitting as quickly because the waiting time was longer.

#10 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 23 August 2023 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, I think the scope of feedback has shifted from personal attacks to constructive criticism, which is super positive! I've read over a few older contests to satiate my curiosity and the takeaway that really, until a few years ago, there was a degree of feedback that was more detrimental than anything.

I think the coming and going of people in the community - for better or for worse - has contributed to that change of approach in a good way. If we really wanted to break down the numbers, I'm sure the average age of PureZC's userbase is going up as well; so maybe a more older, slightly less obnoxious and teenaged demographic is at play too?
I definitely haven't seen any problematic issues stemming from this year's contests, which is great. It feels a lot more chilled out all around. I've loved seeing people make suggestions on how to improve entries, which has been followed up by said contestants posting revised screens too! It's good vibes all around.

You're correct about expectations too - I think that's shifted as well. One of my Screen Rebirth entries aside, all the shots I've submitted for contests this year have been mock-ups - nobody's really approached said entries with "wow WTF NEW QUEST" or "THREE CRESTS JAJAJAJAJA"... or the fact that they're mostly GB for that matter lol.
Again, I think that's also attributed to a general shift in the community of who is and isn't around.

I think the schedule's erraticness didn't help the contest over the last year or so, and making SotW weekly again was a mid-term goal I had when taking it over this year. Safe to say that it was a successful goal, but my next goal has shifted to maintaining it for the rest of the year (for now), so we won't need to consider going back to a biweekly format. Hopefully annoying you all on Discord with three pings a week encourages more entries!
  • Shane and Aevin like this

#11 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 24 August 2023 - 12:20 PM

Hopefully annoying you all on Discord with three pings a week encourages more entries!

personally i appreciate this bc it's the only way it gets me to participate, reminders are good

#12 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 24 August 2023 - 01:05 PM

You've been doing a good job. I'm glad to see SotW up and running again.

I participated in a few screen rebirths because I think I like how there's a prompt, means I can make a screen in a vacuum which is helpful since I'm not working on any projects at all and so I don't have screens sitting around.

slightly less obnoxious and teenaged demographic is at play too?

Fortunately I'm only one of those things now.

Also quoting this part for no particular reason:

all the shots I've submitted for contests this year have been mock-ups - nobody's really approached said entries with "wow WTF NEW QUEST" or "THREE CRESTS JAJAJAJAJA"... or the fact that they're mostly GB for that matter lol.

• nicklegends and Taco Chopper like this

#13 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 24 August 2023 - 04:33 PM

You're down to your last eight - I'm shocked that your banked shots are in single digit territory!

Has a lot to do with free time. I technically have free time, but it’s limited and I’ve been playing through some games lately in what limited time I’ve had.

Lots of mystery games like Danganronpa, Obra Dinn and Ace Attorney.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users