Photo

If immortality was harnessed...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Random Poll

If immortality was discovered, would you take advantage of it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

I have always wondered.

I for one would not, because of my Christian beliefs (let's leave that statement at that) because I believe that it would be selfish to live forever while other people in the past have died so young...

I'm not saying this is even possible, so let's not debate that, but don't think too logically. Just answer the question, and give an explanation, if possible.

#2 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

If it means immortality on earth as it is right now, I'll pass. I kinda consider one lifetime to be like one day: You wake up (birth), you go through your day with its ups and downs (albeit a bit shorter, since one day only allows so many ups and downs. icon_razz.gif ) and at the end of the day, you start winding down (retirement). After going through that day (lifetime), you're going to want that well-earned rest.

#3 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

No, I wouldn't. Not for any religious reason, but quite frankly, I'm not scared of death. Whether there is or isn't an afterlife doesn't scare me. If I were to die right now, I'd be just fine with it.

Don't ask me any questions, I've always been this way.

#4 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

I wouldn't because I believe that there is a way better place beyond called heaven. Living here forever would be miserable.

#5 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

I would. It'd be awesome to go insane and stuff. Wait, would I be vulnerable to injuries of the flesh and disease? D:

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Majora @ Jan 2 2008, 01:52 PM) View Post

I would. It'd be awesome to go insane and stuff. Wait, would I be vulnerable to injuries of the flesh and disease? D:
Probably... you just wouldn't die.
I wouldn't. Because eventually, they'd catch me and lock me up in a place for eternity. And THAT would suck.

#7 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I null'd.

I can't really decide. If it means living the same life for thousands of years until something universally radical happens, then no. NO. I know I should be grateful for a lot of things in my life, but still... NO.

However, if it meant to be an eternal adventure travelling through planets, dimensions, just like all good videogames merged together, then... YES. I'd want to learn magic, go through dungeons, decide the fate of planets and meet incredible situations.

However, I believe see that we just reborn upon death, so that's already eternal life, not? Anything you believe in, you need to admit that the death of the body is nothing if your soul lives forever, then you live forever. Immortal. Bring on the girls!

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

My response is a resounding No.

Immortality would end up being more of a curse than a blessing after a while. What happens when you eventually finish up doing everything in the universe worth doing, etc.

#9 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Assuming it means I never grow old, I'd take it. I believe we don't go anywhere when we die. Life can be hard sometimes, but living is much better than.. nothing.

Edited by Joe Dirt, 02 January 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Joe Dirt @ Jan 2 2008, 09:06 PM) View Post

Assuming it means my body will never grow old, I'd take it. I believe we don't go anywhere when we die. Life can be hard sometimes, but living is much better than.. nothing.

This is the thing I completely reject. Not wanting to convince you, just telling that my nulling was also powered by thinking that A bad life is "minus/negative" and nothing is "zero". "Zero" is still better than "less than zero". It's good not fearing the death.

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jan 2 2008, 02:08 PM) View Post

This is the thing I completely reject. Not wanting to convince you, just telling that my nulling was also powered by thinking that A bad life is "minus/negative" and nothing is "zero". "Zero" is still better than "less than zero". It's good not fearing the death.
That's my rationale... compounded with my belief of the afterlife, of course.

#12 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

No. The only thing fair about life, and I mean the ONLY thing, is that people die at some point. It's not fair to live forever, and if I wanted to die, I wouldn't have the option if I was immortal--a scary thought.

#13 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

I say no. I'm a Christian of course but even if I wasn't I would not want to live forever. Your body would still age and I'd rather live a productive life (working) and die young than live to be over seventy years old and shrivel up to the point I can't work like I used to.

And living while those around me (humans and pets) die would be Hell.

#14 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

A never-ending life full of sorrow... dang. I'd be searching for a cure for immortality, then. And that's just assuming the biological clock stops. Anything else added to it would be unbearable, indeed.

#15 Echo Blade

Echo Blade

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

I would take a shot at immortality. So many possibilities can arise from eternal life. That and you kan keep a close eye on your kids and their kids and so on. Ha ha ha overprotective parenting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users