Having lots of features not equal quality

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

I'll stir the pot a little: Chart of items/enemies/obstacles etc. NOT included in Mario Maker.
http://www.destructo...er-309123.phtml
https://i.imgur.com/eDoFVeM.jpg (Full size image of chart)

A crap ton of things from Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World aren't included, and those 2 games are probably the most popular and most loved games in the entire Mario Bros. catalog (3rd best very obviously being Super Mario Sunshine).

They just can't be bothered to ever bring back the hammer suit, can they?

#32 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

Also, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. graphics themes but no terrain slopes!? What!!!?

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 September 2015 - 11:09 AM.

• Jared likes this

#33 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

crazy that people are worried about mario maker getting stale... i personally think zelda classic is stale and has been for years. yeah scripting creates potential but the vast majority of quests are just the same 2d zelda tropes being trotted out infinitely with minor adjustments. i think i mainly feel this way because i've been a part of the community for almost 15 years now and not because of any inherent flaw with zelda classic. familiarity with a thing tends to breed a certain level of boredom. if you're already familiar with the idea of fangames, maybe you'll find mario maker boring too

mario maker isn't aimed at people who have known about fangames for years, it's aimed at people for whom the idea of making their own mario game is a novelty. y'all ever consider you might not be in its target audience and that its relative simplicity actually might be welcoming for those people?

the amiibo crap is crap tho

Edited by Rambly, 04 September 2015 - 11:31 AM.

• Tabletpillow likes this

#34 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

crazy that people are worried about mario maker getting stale... i personally think zelda classic is stale and has been for years. yeah scripting creates potential but the vast majority of quests are just the same 2d zelda tropes being trotted out infinitely with minor adjustments. i think i mainly feel this way because i've been a part of the community for almost 15 years now and not because of any inherent flaw with zelda classic. familiarity with a thing tends to breed a certain level of boredom. if you're already familiar with the idea of fangames, maybe you'll find mario maker boring too

mario maker isn't aimed at people who have known about fangames for years, it's aimed at people for whom the idea of making their own mario game is a novelty. y'all ever consider you might not be in its target audience and that its relative simplicity actually might be welcoming for those people?

the amiibo crap is crap tho

The amiibo stuff is great though.

#35 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

The amiibo stuff is great though.

amiibos are cool in concept but aren't they just essentially DLC?
idk how i feel about DLC being planned from the beginning for a $60 game... but... ehhhn
it's not the worst thing in the world either

not sure how i feel about the time-limited content either... if people don't get the game at exactly the same time certain people are gonna be locked out of having the same experience just cuz they got it a bit later or whatever, and i just don't like limiting things in games that are essentially editors, it'd be like time-limiting features in mario paint
again, though, it's not the worst thing in the world? it's not like it irredeemably ruins the game and 9 days isn't THAT long of a time lol

Edited by Rambly, 04 September 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#36 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Mario Maker alone is making me wanna get a Wii U lol. I watched the NWC match with it and fell in love instantly. I'd be all over the SMW set.

#37 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

amiibos are cool in concept but aren't they just essentially DLC?
idk how i feel about DLC being planned from the beginning for a $60 game... but... ehhhn
it's not the worst thing in the world either

not sure how i feel about the time-limited content either... if people don't get the game at exactly the same time certain people are gonna be locked out of having the same experience just cuz they got it a bit later or whatever, and i just don't like limiting things in games that are essentially editors, it'd be like time-limiting features in mario paint

They've become overpriced microtransactions, really.

#38 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:31 AM

You can unlock every single Amiibo costume by playing the game. If you scan the Amiibo you have, though, you can unlock them early.

• Shane and Haylee like this

#39 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

Except these "microtransactions" aren't just restricted to one game. Amiibos can work for multiple games, so of course they're "overpriced". Plus they're cool to have on the shelf. So that comparison does not work for me. Plus, if we can unlock every single Amiibo costume in the game, I don't see the big deal here.

• Dawnlight and Jared like this

#40 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

I got it preordered I'm picking it up after work on my way home ( I live literally a 45 second drive from GameStop). But it looks like the common complaint is the nine day wait to unlock everything. From what I been reading Nintendo listened to the criticism and released a patch removing it

#41 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

What was the thought process behind the 9 day waiting period anyway? That just seems like an idiotic, arbitrary decision.

That being said, I think this game looks cool. I'm not really a gamer anymore; I usually just play old emulated games, and the newest system I have is the PS2. This game almost makes me wish I had a Wii U just to try it out.

• Daniel and Anarchy_Balsac like this

#42 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Note on that unlock process: The feedback was so negative that Nintendo listened!

http://arstechnica.c...y-unlock-cycle/

• Anarchy_Balsac and Eddy like this

#43 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

I'm still contemplating picking it up...not sure yet!  xD

I do like the idea of creating my own Mario type game.  Something new I could LP on my channel!

#44 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:35 PM

Note on that unlock process: The feedback was so negative that Nintendo listened!

http://arstechnica.c...y-unlock-cycle/

I still don't like Mario Maker, but I gotta give them credit where due.

• Hergiswi likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Having, lots, of, features, not equal, quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users