MC Tileset

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#106 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

So, just so people know- certain enemies, like the digdogger kids are dropping a lot more frames than others (thus no eye tracking). It's not that its animation is any different than the ZC enemy, it's just that my script isn't compatible with the default enemy type, so I'm dropping frames because I'm not enough of a scripter to script enemies from scratch. I'm being as faithful as I can given the tools at my disposal. I just want to head off design complaints because it's not my animation or graphics skill that's limiting the animation- it's not knowing how to script enemies with multiple rows of tiles.  :shrug:
   I also don't want it to sound like I'm complaining, I've gotten a ton of scripting support, and that's been an enormous help getting me this far. It's not reasonable to expect scripters to script tons of enemies, they have other stuff on their plate too.
   Anyway I'll keep at it, and if an opportunity to improve certain enemy animations appears I will be prepared to upgrade them.

EDIT:
 Enemy update

Edited by Cukeman, 28 July 2016 - 10:19 PM.

• Sheik and Naru like this

#107 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:17 AM

<- Screenshot Update #4

Screenshot Update #5:

Rope extravaganza! So, equipped with a new script (thank you Lejes!) I can now have any Rope I want dash at any speed. I used this to make alternate versions of the default Rope that dash at MC speed (I've already posted what they look like), but I've also applied it to some other enemies that have the Rope-type movement pattern.

Helmasaurs are another dashing enemy type, the before and after phases are both working; they're not connected to each other yet, but I'm hoping we'll get there:
30vf2h0.jpg

These Spear Moblins charge at Link, and they use their spear as a shield:
1zzm813.jpg

Archer Moblins:
2zfod9h.jpg

All 3 levels of Leever (now in Desert Yellow! :P ):
dpvj80.jpg

I've been working on Wall Master, but it ignores HitXOffset- likely because it's designed to be 2 tiles away from the screen edge (NES dungeon walls are 2 tiles wide), so I may have to compromise. It also doesn't like me to enlarge the sprite, displaying an extra 1x1 sprite on top of the enlarged 2x2 sprite so... it's just being difficult and contrary.  :whap:

Screenshot Update #6 ->

Edited by Cukeman, 30 July 2016 - 09:57 AM.

• Shane, Sheik, Jared and 1 other like this

#108 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

Impressive update. I have a weak spot especially for the Moblins. I take it you are covering all the default Z1 enemies + tMC enemies?

Something else just occured to me, concering the items. Do you use a scripted shield that the player has to equip or the default one that is always active? The former would of course be more faithful to tMC.

• Cukeman likes this

#109 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

I am using the default shield that is always active.

Although I have worked on a Helmasaur, and I did add a wall climbing script, these are just optional things for fun. I'm not trying to recreate anything MC has that ZC doesn't (unless I'm just doing it for my own amusement and it's something optional that the user can ignore). Any non-ZC enemies I make might be available separately just because tile space is so limited.

I like the Moblins a lot too, they're so iconic. And the WW/MC Moblins are so much fun to look at. These don't have any halting animation, and the archers don't hold up their bow to aim when they're firing. I did sprite all that, but don't know how to apply it, so those sprites are just extras in the external graphics pack for now.

Edited by Cukeman, 30 July 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#110 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

<- Screenshot Update #5

Screenshot Update #6

I'm really excited about this update! I'll start off simply with some Bubbles:
52dick.jpg
Right now these two colors are all I've got. I thought about using green and purple fire to differentiate Item Bubbles from Sword Bubbles, but green = shielded in OoT and the purple kind in ST just has a defensive fog that needs to be blown away. Maybe it would still work, or maybe it's not important to have more colors- What do you think(?)

Moving on to more exciting territory we have Level 1, 2, 3 and BS Patras!
I made these by combining and recoloring Vaati's eyes with Pesto sprites:
2ugjxc8.jpg  23lgmxf.jpg

2yypocy.jpg  e9f81k.jpg

What would Manhandla from Z1 look like in Minish Cap graphics? According to zeldawiki.org/Manhandla, the original Japanese manual describes it as a big four-headed Piranha Plant, so let's go back to this enemy's roots (unintentional pun).
   Starting off with the FS Manhandla boss:
qq32gh.jpg

and Moldworm from The Minish Cap:
28iun1v.jpg

I put a lot of work into making the final versions of Manhandla seen here, and I am super happy with the results!!
25pn80g.jpg  oieryw.jpg

14t7r02.jpg  520yf8.jpg

This is what really excites me! Making new custom enemies for Z1 in the MC style :D As you can see, as the plant matures its spots become brighter and more pronounced, it sprouts sharp teeth, and its small bud blossoms into a large flower. Also the blue type's base has more of a jungle-green/bluish tint, while the ginger- I mean, red-headed plant's base is more of a forest green. Unfortunately Manhandla's animation in 2.50.2 is glitchy, but that's not my fault. This enemy isn't even scripted.

I would also love to show you my custom Nayru's Love sprites, but as an animated effect with simulated transparency, screenshots can't do it justice (but you can test it out if you're interested).

Screenshot Update #7 ->

Edited by Cukeman, 10 August 2016 - 01:50 AM.

• Anthus, Shane, Sheik and 3 others like this

#111 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

Go ahead and add the green and purple ones I'd say. ...thinking of it, in Skyward Sword purple is for jinxing enemies, which affects the sword I believe. So maybe you could go with that?

Also, nice work on the bosses. What do you plan to do with Aquamentus and Gleeok? The latter could use some of the Gleerok tiles, maybe.

Edited by Sheik, 30 July 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#112 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

Blue and Red are the standard, aren't they? I kind of have troubles liking things that don't work out with the actual zelda canon, but I think green, yellow and purple are nice additions and a short look into the interned gave me the info that the games are not too bound to certain colours regarding bubbles. I think I have seen yellow before as disabeling other items beside the sword, purple as movement jinx (there is even that default option in the enemy-editor for jinxes) and you could make easely a green bubble that tribbles between a flameless beatable and a green-flamed invincible enemy. Some special stalfos that go over to a bubble on death is also something I want to see foe sometime, Stalfos that break down for some time to be vulnerable to bombs is also something I have seen only once (Avataro) so far here.

I personally think the blue points on the small manhandala look a bit pale and the ones on the big one are a bit too white, but not sure if I dislike that. But I think you really schould animate the middle part of the big manhandla a bit.

#113 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:40 AM

Well, I decided to just go with a gentle color shift towards orange and purple, since their purpose isn't all that different. Kinda don't want to differentiate between temporary and permanent jinxes though.

Also decided to make a green bubble that's shielded:

2agnpna.jpg

Maybe I should go with a lighter blue instead of a purple though? Purple = evil in so many games that it kinda just says "don't touch", whereas blue is usally not a violent color like red, etc.

Also, nice work on the bosses. What do you plan to do with Aquamentus and Gleeok? The latter could use some of the Gleerok tiles, maybe.

No specific plan, but same stategy: research official artwork, sprites and models throughout the series and see if FS/FSA/MC has anything similar, then edit that or create new sprites until I get something that looks good.

...you could make easely a green bubble that tribbles between a flameless beatable and a green-flamed invincible enemy.

LOL I had the same thought and did just that :D

Stalfos that break down for some time to be vulnerable to bombs is also something I have seen only once (Avataro) so far here.

I should go back and put collapsing Stalfos in my Z3 quest (I just increased the stun time) but- doing other things RN...

I personally think the blue points on the small manhandala look a bit pale and the ones on the big one are a bit too white, but not sure if I dislike that. But I think you really schould animate the middle part of the big manhandla a bit.

The white dots are kind of flashy for a Zelda enemy, but it is authentic to Mario and I think the look is growing on me. I intended to have the small ones be dotless, but that looked too plain, so the subtly colored dots added just enough texture to make it visually interesting.

What would you animate the flower doing? When you see it in action and the mouths are all chomping, it's flying all around and spitting fireballs, I kinda don't think the static body is all that noticable.

• Naru likes this

#114 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

I would try to make the orange one lighter and the purple one darker. They are hard to tell apart.

Edited by Sheik, 01 August 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#115 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Ohh, I thought the new version were replacements. Just made a short research. In ZC the perm is typical red, the heal blue and the temp a mix between blue and red or flickering based on the legend of Zelda. In later Zelda Games the blue/purple is typical temp, the red burns you and the green one is OoT only? In MC both are temp with different speed. I think you should make the ones above (blue and red) act MC-like so far they look identical to the MC-ones (the dark blue is too purple but also too similiar, I dislike the dark red and the bright red looks more like fire than like the red of the one in MC), but make other colors act like whatever you want, there don't seem to be a real rule after all. You could also make another enemy resembling the artwork of the original bubble (dark skull in a flame ball).

#116 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

Well, here's how it looks with a lighter orange, and a lighter blue (instead of purple):

s6q7ud.jpg

I also figured out how to discriminate1 between temporary and permanent Bubbles, the flames on the temporary Bubbles flicker, while the flames on the permanent Bubbles are steady :)

1verb, meaning to percieve the difference (New Oxford American Dictionary)

• Shane and Jared like this

#117 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

I absolutely can't wait for this tileset to become usable! Finally, Minish Cap has its best chance to come into the world of Zelda Classic. :D

• Jared, Cukeman, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#118 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

I never thought an actual Minish Cap tileset would be made, seeing it's graphics are hard to get working in ZC.

However this looks amazing! Some great work here, Cukeman. :clap:

• Cukeman and Naru like this

#119 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:48 AM

<- Screenshot Update #6

Screenshot Update #7

Bats are now a larger species than Keese:
2yvma04.jpg
This change was inspired by the Bad Bats in Majora's Mask. If you prefer Keese and Bats to be the same size- that's easy, duplicate the Keese enemy, switch its type to Bat and upgrade its stats.

Here's an unfortunate discovery:
2lm8i1h.jpg
Farore's Wind (right) uses the same animation as the Hammer Pound (left), which I didn't realize before now- I thought my Link sprites were finished and flawless, but hello flaw. Not sure if I should fix it or how, Farore's Wind (at least in ZC) always felt like a pointless item to me, and while it does bother me, it's still a blink-and-you'll-miss-it mistake.

Rupee Likes:
zo6p1k.jpg
I have the Wallet Fill/Drain SFX scripted, which has been working great except when these guys show up. Sometimes the Rupee drain SFX don't play at all. Maybe this can be fixed(?)

I'm probably not the first one to make this enemy, but I'm very proud of it. When you slash the Cucco, it squawks, runs off in a frenzy, then calms down. Abuse it enough, and it will start crowing for assistance, before long the screen will become filled with both ground and air support, and... let's just say the wise will leave.
1zv3o7t.jpg
This enemy did not require any scripting, although I do have two script requests out there which could add some refinements and extra polish to this and other enemies. I know that working on this enemy doesn't get me any closer to the completion of this tileset, but it was hella fun to make, and a nice diversion.

Tektites, red, blue and gold:
eas7kh.jpg
The gold tektite in MC means business, but tektites in ZC are shy and tend to avoid you, even when you edit them. Oh well.

Since tile space is limited, I don't plan to include non-ZC enemies in the final release, but I will have an alternate version of the tileset with all the enemies set up so you'll easily be able to add the ones you desire.

Also, I'll be going back to university in less than two weeks now, so if all goes well I won't be using ZQuest again before the Christmas holiday. I shouldn't have used it as much as I did this summer. Meh.

Edited by Cukeman, 10 August 2016 - 01:58 AM.

• Shane, Jared and Naru like this

#120 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:42 AM

How did you make the Cucco? Is it just a single one that splits into a ton of aggressive ones that ignore all of Link's weapons? Since you said you didn't have to script it, does it still hurt Link on contact even before summoning the rest, or did you figure out a way to prevent touch damage and knockback?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users