Photo

Your thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of ZC game whould you like more?

Your favored type of gfx ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

I'm making a quest using the Descendants tileset, I wonder if the lack of tile range, and gfx will make the quest less then it could be. Yet I continue to make the quest. To me it seems fine, but, what would others think. Does gfx really take a major role on the quest? As much as the design does?

Edited by Mr.Fresh, 23 October 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

I use and prefer DoR styled graphics. However, your choice of graphics should be based on what you feel comfortable using and what you feel you can make a well-designed quest with.

#3 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Oct 23 2008, 06:08 PM) View Post

I use and prefer DoR styled graphics. However, your choice of graphics should be based on what you feel comfortable using and what you feel you can make a well-designed quest with.
Indeed, it seems the more detail the tiles and graphics has in them, the harder it is to use the tileset, or layout. But then again it depends on the person.
Good thing ZC is getting more advance, because the possibility's open up new ways to interact with ZC. Making it funner to design a quest, in all aspects of ZC.

So I pretty much stand in between them all, it really depends on what type of quest I want to make.

So its a bit tricky.

Also to clear up the misunderstood factor... When it says *what kind of game would you like more* it means GFX wise! Like DoR type zelda games or nes, graphic wise!
icon_razz.gif

Edited by Mr.Fresh, 23 October 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#4 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

I love the looks of DoR, but it's a bit too complex for me to make quests with.

#5 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(hinsburg @ Oct 23 2008, 06:41 PM) View Post

I love the looks of DoR, but it's a bit too complex for me to make quests with.
I understand what you mean...
I've also tried many times to make a quest with DoR, even the lttp tileset. It aways started out good, but some kind of problem arise, errors, lack of passion to continue, etc. I get far but always end up changing from tileset to tileset. Maybe I'm to picky. icon_sorry.gif

#6 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

What the heck? About 30 minutes ago, the first post in this topic was a one-worder, and I had made a post yapping at Mr. Fresh about it. Or at least I think so.

Anyways, I like NES. It has creamy, bold colours, and has a really retro feel.

#7 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Oct 23 2008, 07:24 PM) View Post

What the heck? About 30 minutes ago, the first post in this topic was a one-worder, and I had made a post yapping at Mr. Fresh about it. Or at least I think so.

Thats the lovely work of your forum mods. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, different people, different stiles. Thanks for commenting!

#8 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Oct 23 2008, 09:24 PM) View Post

Yeah, you can blame me for that. I just deleted the less substantial version of the topic.

#9 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Oct 23 2008, 08:09 PM) View Post

Yeah, you can blame me for that. I just deleted the less substantial version of the topic.
It was a good move. icon_cool.gif

Hmm. btw, does the lack of detail in some tilesets keep you from continuing a quest or at least from even using the tileset?

When I first started using ZC the nes tileset was amazing, now that tilesets such as DoR and the pure tilesets have been released it gives a new aspect to the term Zelda Classic. Never the less it does extend the things you can do with ZC. Nothing but good has come of it. icon_thumbsup.gif I look to the future of ZC and its development.

#10 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

I like custom graphics the best. Either hand-drawn or ripped from a little-known game, as long as the quest looks unique.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

I have to say, looking at the poll, I fall under "other". My three favorite tilesets are

Classic NES (The default)
Pure (the original, not PTUX)
DoR (once again, the old one, not the new one)

However, I think you should use whatever you're comfortable with. As I understand, Descendant is the base of Pure, so I should like it, but once again, do whatever you want, not what other people say to use.

#12 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 23 2008, 08:27 PM) View Post

I have to say, looking at the poll, I fall under "other". My three favorite tilesets are

Classic NES (The default)
Pure (the original, not PTUX)
However, I think you should use whatever you're comfortable with. As I understand, Descendant is the base of Pure, so I should like it, but once again, do whatever you want, not what other people say to use.
Indeed! The first tileset I really had my eye on was the current one I'm using. It was the first one I actually tried to make a quest with besides the nes (default) time has past since then. I came back to it after using many newer and older tilesets. Although it is limited when making houses or dungeons. I be leave I can make a short fun quest out of it. I'm looking forward to releasing it soon, as my first ZC completed quest. (:

Edited by Mr.Fresh, 23 October 2008 - 10:33 PM.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

Strictly speaking, most quests out there seem to use customized tilesets, anyway. This is because tilesets are supposed to be starting points, and there's nothing wrong with adding or changing stuff along the way. Creative people frequently find they need to add a few things to accomplish what they're planning, anyway. After all, as a tileset maker neither I nor anyone else could predict 100% of what you might want in your quest. So: rip away.

That said, I think it'd make for a more balanced poll if you removed "custom," since it doesn't say much about what people prefer. You can customize any tileset, but people generally start off with the one they like the most, or the one that best fits what they're doing at the moment.

As for saying you prefer "hand-drawn," I think that's kinda wishful thinking, because the chances someone has enough time to draw all the graphics *and* finish a quest with them tends to be incredibly slim. Maybe if more people teamed up.........

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 23 2008, 08:27 PM) View Post

Curses! Why must you perpetuate the crappy grass. icon_glare.gif

#14 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:35 AM

PTUX followed by New DoR. I'm more about simplicity, but I do still like some really good looking stuff. (Not that you can't find that in Pure, but DoR is a better source for 'better' graphics in my opinion.)

I also just prefer the Zelda feel of Pure that I don't get with DoR.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 24 2008, 12:16 AM) View Post

Curses! Why must you perpetuate the crappy grass. icon_glare.gif

It's just that the old one feels like the OoT tileset to me, while the new one is just too realistic. Don't get me wrong, I love the New DoR, I just like the older, more cartoony feeling one better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users