Super Smash Bros. Brawl

• Please log in to reply
2278 replies to this topic

#16 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Does anyone know if this game will be online? I'm really hoping for it to be.

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jun 6 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post

Anyway, I highly doubt that this is real, but if it was, I wouldn't be too unhappy. icon_smile.gif

If that was real... man that would be great.

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jun 6 2007, 07:18 PM) View Post

Anyway, I highly doubt that this is real, but if it was, I wouldn't be too unhappy. icon_smile.gif

But what's up with Mewtwo's face? That is not official Mewtwo, I don't care what anybody says. icon_sweat.gif

Yeah, I doubt it's real. icon_razz.gif

Here's an idea: Alternate costumes. Like for Link: you have his TP outfit, and then his OoT outfit. That'd be cool. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, this should be sweet. Though if they brought back Young Link, how would they do that? He wouldn't be TP styled, since there is no TP style Young Link. I also hope they stray away from a WW Link. The OoT style Young Link is just awesome.

#18 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

I personally liked MM Link better than OoT link, just because I HATED the Kokiri Sword in that game. icon_evil.gif Sword, my butt. That was a long dagger at best. Still, this is going to be a great game. Looking forward to the "Final Smashes" featured in the trailers... you know, when Mario had his giant fireball explosion, and Link started PWNing plumber, and Kirby did his oddly cute cook thing. Pure insanity.

#19 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

If there are any characters I would want in Brawl that aren't on popular demand (like Sonic), they would be:

IPB Image
Ray MKII from Custom Robo

Custom Robos come with a variety of weapons. They are equipped with a gun, bombs, and pods and have the ability to dash into their foes. Recently, I noticed Custom Robos can also do a Soulboost, a temporary phase that ups the Robo's attack and defense and makes the robo gold. The move list of Ray MkII would be simple:

Basic attack - Punches and kicks
B - Gun
Smash B - Dash
Up B - Pod
Down B - Bombs
Final Smash - Soulboost (turns gold and launches several pods that cause massive explosions)

IPB Image
Andy from Advance Wars

Andy has been the main protagonist of the Advance Wars series, even in Advance Wars: Dual Strike, as his influences in the first two games are still remembered by the Black Hole army. His moves could be:

Basic attack - Giant wrenches
B - Sami's Bazooka
Smash B - Wrench boomerang
Up B - Eagle's Lightning Drive (dashes upward in the air, causing damage to those in the way)
Down B - Hyper Repair (charges for a while, then heals Andy a little while temporarily giving him a small attack boost)
Final Smash - Hyper Upgrade (heals 50% and launches giant wrenches in 8 directions)

IPB Image
Simon Belmont from Castlevania

I chose him, because he was the hero of Castlevania for the NES. His moves will reflect off the items found in the Castlevania games.

Basic attack - Vampire killer
B - Knife
Smash B - Boomerang
Up B - Roc Wing (launches upward, hitting anyone in his path; may be powerful enough to KO a player with enough damage) (debuted in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon)
Down B - Holy Water
Final Smash - Holy Cross (levitates in the air and a large vertical silver whirlwind surrounds him, with a large cross behind him. Anyone caught in the column receives a great amount of damage) (I hope I got Richter's special down accurately)

#20 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

I'll be reserving the game once the time comes. However, with as little info Nintendo has released on the game, I can't see it being released anytime until December, perhaps even longer.
Regardless of the date being 2007. icon_shrug.gif Perhaps Nintendo is deliberately hiding tons of stuff from us.

As for characters, I think I'll go the cliché path by playing with Pit and Meta-Knight.

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, it looks as if Pit is going to rock real loud.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

As for which character/s I'll use?

Link all the way. I'll pwn all characters with Link. Especially that prettyboy wannabe Solid Snake. icon_superevil.gif

#23 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:55 AM

That depends. How much do you spin attack? As (Either) Link, I've personally sworn off Spin attack while on the ground, and have been relying on jumping, well timed sword attacks, (Rather than brute force attacks, which don't work very well against skilled opponents at all.) and aerial ANA. (Which I think I tend to spam, but that's okay, as long as it's not that cheap.) Otherwise, Arrow attacks (In the air.) are used to stop oncoming rush attacks, and the Boomerang is mostly used to intercept people returning to platforms, and to cancel enemy grabs when anticipated in advance. (Nothing simple to do, as we all know.)

They just featured Kirby and Pikachu on The Brawl Page. Eh. I just hope they haven't changed many (If any.) of Pikachu's attacks. I really used them all. =/

#24 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

If I realize that it's starting to get frantic, then I frantically spin attack. icon_blah.gif

I rely on the smash attack most of the time. Oh, and the jumping downwards strike. icon_superevil.gif

#25 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hm. That's very easily countered with a shield-grab, unless the opponent is in midair. I find that the downstab is actually best used when you're underneath opponents who have just jumped in the air at an angle towards the direction above you. You jump, already in a downstab, and when your side intercepts them in midair, they go flying upwards.

Otherwise, if you downstab a player on the ground, they have but to already be shielding, (And depending on who you're playing against, you KNOW that they'll be shielding.) they have but to be holding shield, and Press A, and you're as good as grabbed. It's simple to turn around to do it as well, as the Downstab has a long recovery time even if you've L-Canceled.

I think it's better to just ANA into them and L-cancel to clear some landing space, since you can virtually immediately jump out of any possible grabbing situation and SHFFL into another attack while they've tried to grab you. Then you rush forward into a dash attack after you chop them, and you've dealt some pretty significant recovery damage. GG.

Oh! Crap! DO NOT FORGET about how useful Link's bair attack is. (Jump, and Back-A-Attack. It's a helicopter kick.) It's virtually his bread-and-butter attack for enemies that you want to keep near you to initiate a combo to. I usually bair someone, then immediately jump into an ANA right into them. It works even if just his hip hits them.

#26 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

Link's jumping downward strike is what forced me to become a better smash player. My brother spammed it as Young Link, and I use Marth (always. I never change) so he'd pwn me when I had 75% or more... I had to learn... the dodge. Yes, that staple of tournament playing! With one quick movement, Marth becomes an unhittable blur capable of putting enough distance between him and his opponent to hit using the tip of his mighty blade, the Falchion!!!

I got carried away. icon_eek.gif Anyway, Link was good, but not specialized enough for my tastes.

#27 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

I could concur, but eventually you figure Link's moves out, and he can quickly dominate. He actually has almost as much platform returning power as Samus does, with his hookshot or bombs. His ANA is indominable, and his ranged abilities are virtually unparalleled, as few other characters actually have the controlled range that he does.

Once you learn to wavedash with Marth, you will see why the wavedash ability is so useful. The Pivot (Look it up.) is also a good thing to learn, though not nearly as essential as the Wavedash. Thankfully, Marth's Wavedash is a pretty good one. Link's is a horrid one, truth be told, though still possible to use to a degree. Better to use the shield though, coupled with the shield-grab threat.

An interesting move you can do as Marth is his bair OR dair attack (That's Back-Air and Down-Air, respectively.) when you've just leapt off of the ground. His bair attack has long range, some good force behind it, and L-Cancels pretty well. His dair attack sweeps for a fairly good distance behind him which can surprise foes.

#28 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

The wavedash is where you do a jump dodge but fast enough so that it looks like it's on the ground, correct?

#29 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

I guess. A Wavedash is where you dodge in midair diagonally down to the floor so close to the floor that is looks like you've "Slid" down that way.

You practice it by jumping, and hitting "R" and "Down+Left/Right" shortly after you leave the ground. Do it closer and closer to the ground as you practice, and eventually you'll have barely left the ground.

The following people have the worst Wavedashes:
  • Ganondorf
  • Bowser
  • Jigglypuff
  • Link
  • Peach
  • Pikachu/Pichu
  • Captain Falcon
  • Falco
  • Donkey Kong

The following people have the best wavedash:
  • Luigi - As the wavedash king.
  • Samus
  • Mario
  • Fox
  • Marth / Roy
  • Ness
  • Ice Climbers
  • Game & Watch

#30 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Ah. Then I have tried wavedashing with Marth before, since I heard that he's one of the best to use it with. I didn't remember because it's been awhile since I heard the term.

Yeah, what I did was jump and then hit left/right+R as quickly as possible afterwards, and he seemed to kinda "warp" in the direction I pushed. Not necessarily warp, but slid in that direction seemingly without moving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users