Photo

What sort of tutorials would you like to see?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

Just wondering. Whoever you are, from whatever ZC Background you're coming from, I ask you this. What tutorials would you both be interested in seeing, or think should exist to be read?

Also, how do you think they should be written? After all, different people learn through different methods.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

One that tells you to not use CSet 6 for tree shadows icon_deformed.gif

I think multiple combo layering is a common problem; too bad there's already a tutorial on that. icon_razz.gif

I could think of multiple switches, as well. Not simply pressing them, I mean. Multiple item switches. Newcomers would definitely have problems with them.

#3 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

Make some tutorials on making advanced stuff like custom bosses or really complicated puzzles. Stuff like that.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

Ooh, that's a good one. I'd like to know how Radien got his boss to work in the DoR demo.

#5 Hoten

Hoten

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

I'd say a tutorial on how to make a simple custom boss, and ways to ramp up the difficulty and things to avoid when making custom bosses.

Text would be best IMO, if it was detailed and told you step by step what to do, it'd be better than a video.

#6 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

Free form combos PLEASE.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Majora's Wrath @ Aug 8 2007, 07:54 PM) View Post
Free form combos PLEASE.
Another one? icon_confused2.gif
I'd like to know how Radien got his boss to work in the DoR demo.
I think things like this are better off composed of one tutorial for something at a time. Radien's boss was so complex, yet so theoretically simple, that you'd need individual tutorials to make up such a tutorial. A tutorial on how to get GOOD complex combo cycling, AND the tutorial for normal Custom Boss theory. So it's not so much how you'd make a Boss like that one, but looking up how to perform the individual steps in it which COMPOSE it.

Make some tutorials on making advanced stuff like custom bosses or really complicated puzzles. Stuff like that.
You'll definitely have to be more specific on that. icon_razz.gif It's like asking Santa Clause for "Toys" for Christmas. icon_blah.gif

I think multiple combo layering is a common problem; too bad there's already a tutorial on that. icon_razz.gif

I could think of multiple switches, as well. Not simply pressing them, I mean. Multiple item switches. Newcomers would definitely have problems with them.
I really wish I could see what you're referring to. My mind thinks in images rather than in words, and I'm just not seeing what you mean by "Item Switches." There could be a hundred different interpretations of it from what I can tell; Items interacting with switches, etc.

#8 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Whatever you do decide to do, please use screenshots ALOT. Those will help immensely. Write everything in point blank form too, so we don't get any annoying noobs asking a bunch of questions.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

Whatever you do decide to do, please use screenshots ALOT. Those will help immensely.
Will do! icon_biggrin.gif I really do try to do it a lot, but I have a tendency to like to clean them up and modify them for easier reading, and it takes a while. I work with quality over quantity.

Write everything in point blank form too, so we don't get any annoying noobs asking a bunch of questions.
This is one of my goals, though I'm not sure what you mean by "Point Blank form" ...

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Aug 8 2007, 08:08 PM) View Post

I really wish I could see what you're referring to. My mind thinks in images rather than in words, and I'm just not seeing what you mean by "Item Switches." There could be a hundred different interpretations of it from what I can tell; Items interacting with switches, etc.

icon_heh.gif

When you activate a trigger using an item, which activates another trigger to use with a different or same item, etc.

Sorry about that.

#11 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

AH, Tiered Secrets. Gotcha. I might have to get a few images of the keyboard to do that tutorial. icon_razz.gif lol sure.

#12 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Multiple warps per screen in 1.92

#13 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Aug 8 2007, 08:40 PM) View Post
Multiple warps per screen in 1.92
Now THOSE are the kinds of tutorials that I'd really love to be writing. Thanks for the idea!

#14 Linksasleepagain

Linksasleepagain

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:26 AM

Some good suggestions from people who already know the workings of Zquest,but how about a beginners tutorial to show newcomers how to start their first quest using 2.10.Personally speaking,I have tried to follow the two ancient tutorials available for earlier versions and it is confusing when trying to work with 2.10 and its added features.I just want a tour around the program and info on what all the various tabs mean and what they do.I know its boring for all you seasoned quest makers but I think in the long run you are going to have a lot more quests to play.I want to learn to use the program from scratch.I'm surprised nobody has thought to make a tutorial of this kind considering how long the 2.10 has been available.I have my quest 80% finished on paper and in my head but am very frustrated that I cannot put it into action due to my ignorance of the workings of the program.
Please can somebody do a 2.10 beginners tutorial??
I don't need videos and hundreds of screenshots.....just the basics of how to get started.The rest will come with experience and there are plenty of help topics available for the more complex things.
I am sure there are a lot of people who want to make quests but find it too daunting without an idiots guide to get them started.
I am an idiot....so guide me please! icon_biggrin.gif

#15 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

Linksasleepagain (lol) has a good point. Alphadawg's tutorial is really good, but it's for 1.90, which is EXTREMELY ancient. I might actually update that for 2.10 myself.... shouldn't be too hard, just replacing the screens and adding a few new features. I'll think about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users