The Islands of Zelda

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:55 AM

Edit: This quest has been completed!!!  Look for it at a PureZC database near you. [/Edit]

theislandsofzeldalogoby.png

Story: After Link beat Ganon in the first Legend of Zelda game, his minions took his ashes and sealed them in a crypt, hoping to one day revive him with the blood of his killer, Link. Before his minions found his ashes, though, Ganon's chief wizzrobe was first on the scene and found a piece of Ganon's flesh that Link had severed off. The chief wizzrobe, named Xanthis, took the piece of flesh and a sample of Ganon's ashes and began doing scientific tests and experiments. After Ganon's resurrection failed in the second game, meaning after Link defeated his own shadow and awakened Zelda, Xanthis became more determined in his experiments. Eventually, Xanthis found a way to make a stable clone of Ganon. He taught the clone what Link had done to him in the past and the Ganon clone was furious. The Ganon clone devised a plan to kidnap Zelda, being led by Xanthis on what hasn't worked in the past. The Ganon clone succeeded in capturing Zelda, but before Link had a chance to locate him, he took Zelda and an entire army of his monsters and sailed in a ship to the east. Link enlisted the help of Captain Mido, the captain of Hyrule's royal shipping fleet, and began their voyage to pursue the Ganon clone and save Zelda.
However, after about a week at sea, a terrible storm appeared almost out of nowhere. Link was sure this was conjured up by Ganon's magic. The storm beat down on their ship. Before long, a bolt of lightning struck the ship and Link blanked out. Link awakes on a sandy beach on a strange island. He looks around and notices that all of the items he had gathered from his previous adventures are missing. Even the Master Sword, which he had first obtained on a quest not long after his battle with his shadow, is missing. All he finds is a simple wooden shield that had been issued to the ship's crew before they had begun their voyage. Seeing no sign of the ship's crew or Captain Mido, he heads to a nearby cave.

Tileset: The majority of the tileset is my own custom tileset, modifying the original classic tiles from ZC 2.10. A big exception to this are some house & furniture tiles that came from Radien's new BS tileset; however, I also made lots of custom tiles based off of those tiles as well.

Quest Style:
1. The whole idea behind this quest is that I'm tired of mountains being the main obstacle to reaching other areas. Why not make water the main obstacle and hide the flippers in a later level? So, Link starts out on one island and will explore many islands throughout this quest. Oh yeah, one clue I'll give you is that the raft is in the 1st dungeon, not a later dungeon, because you need it to visit all the other islands.
2. I did not have all the details worked out before I started making this quest. I started with an island in the middle of nowhere, and went from there.
3. This quest uses 2 overworld maps, and, just to give you an early hint, I made the outside edges of the maps scroll-warp to the opposite side! This is to give the effect that (most) sailors lose their way and can't find their way home after arriving. (But of course Link should make it back to Hyrule after he finds Zelda. At least, I'm sure they'll find a way...)
4. There are 9 dungeons, but there are also a number of side-dungeons or caves in which Link will find items.
5. Anyway, 'nuff said. I probably gave away more than I should have. You'll have to wait to find out the rest.

Screenshots:

The starting screen
zislands1.png

Link gets a wooden sword... again. "This'll have to do until I find the Master Sword again."
zislands2.png

Finding secret cash on Egalos Island (the name of the 1st island, according to Abei)
zislands3.png

In this quest, you don't buy the blue candle, you find it.
zislands4.png

The 1st dungeon ain't no piece of cake. Here's a Stalfos 2, Keese, conveyor belt and traps! (And no, I didn't copy the eagle dungeon from the 1st Zelda.)
zislands5.png

Have you seen this symbol before?
zislands6.png

Hey, who doesn't know that there's a secret in the eye? I think I've hidden a talking goriya in all my dungeons (so far).
zislands7.png

Custom-made closed door tile
zislands13.png

Have you ever thought of making a back-door entrance to a dungeon?
zislands14.png

Rooms that you can't reach using the front entrance can be accessed through the back door.
zislands15.png

You need the flippers before you can reach this cave.
zislands10.png

The magic octoroks killed those gohmas. Watch out!!!
zislands11.png

This is one of the civlized islands Link will visit. It even has a harbor master!
zislands12.png

I wonder what's on that ship?
zislands8.png

It's up to you to guess where that whirlpool leads!
zislands9.png

(I hope that's not too many screenshots for your browser to handle. icon_unsure.gif)

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Edit: PLAYABLE DEMO NOW RELEASED!!! Note: Requires ZC version 2.10
Playable Demos:
Important Note: This quest was made with/designed for ZC version 2.10. Most of the demo material works with version 2.5, but there are elements (e.g. solidity of water) that may cause problems when playing the final version.
Demo 1 (levels 1-3 + special preview area seen nowhere else)
Demo 2 (intro + levels 1-4 + special preview tour of islands) + list of obtainable items
Demo 2.1: hosted on Mediafire; PureZC (hosted for Fall Expo 2012)
Note: If you haven't played any of the demos before, play version 2.1; ALL SPECIAL PREVIEW AREAS are included in Demo 2.1, INCLUDING the special end area from demo 1 (if you can find it icon_sly.gif ). I have left access to demos 1 and 2 here for nostalgia reasons/in case you want to see previous incarnations of this quest; there have been some minor graphical/screen changes since demo 1, including the addition of subtle hints for pushable blocks and bombable walls.

List of Differences Between Demo 2 and Demo 2.1
The following is provided because the "got_items.txt" wasn't included with the download of Demo 1:
List of Obtainable Items for Demo 1

If you do not have version 2.10 and you use Windows, I have created the following zip files complete with the corresponding demo quest file, ZC version 2.10, all the bare-minimum files, classic quests 1-3, and pre-made links for using the double-size ZC and ZQuest. (Read the attached Readme.txt for the details on setting them up.)
Demo 1 with ZC v2.10
Demo 2 with ZC v2.10
Demo 2.1 with ZC v2.10
(These don't have all the bells and whistles (quests) that came with the original ZC version 2.10; it just has the 1st through 3rd classic quests along with my quest demo. This zip file has all the basic files you need to use it.)

**Please let me know if there are any problems with downloading these files.**
Edit2: Fixed the links. Try them now.

Edit3:So, if you've gone through the demo, did you find all the items I hid? (See spoiler for checklist.) Let me know if you have any trouble.Edit7: (moved to underneath Demo 2 link above)

Edit4: Demo Version 1.1 released; the above links have been updated.

Edit5: Support bar now available:

CODE
iozsupportbanner3.png

Edit6: I just modified the story to reflect some inconsistencies I previously had with the Zelda 2 backstory.

Edit7: Demo 2 now posted. I reorganized the demo information a bit, too.

Edit8: I just updated all file links (including support bar) for my new fileshare site that doesn't require a log in to view files - MediaFire. (I can't believe 4shared.com changed their policy on that. icon_unsettled.gif )
Also, I updated all photos' links now that they are loaded to Imageshack. (4shared.com always shrunk them a bit. Looks a lot better, IMO.)

Edit9: Just updated the links for demo 2, with and without v2.10. Modifications were made to certain *cough cough* rooms in the dungeons. Also, modifications were made to the overworld to fix problems with using the ladder where you're not supposed to; added 1 item obtainable on Egalos Island by using the ladder to find it (see the "got_items.txt" file for a hint).
This post was edited by Lightwulf: May 15 2012, 11:17 AM

Edit10: Updated code for support bar.
This post was edited by Lightwulf: Jul 27 2012, 09:18 PM

Edit11: Added Demo 2.1 download links and other descriptive info related to it (see above, listed after the other demo links).
This post has been edited by Lightwulf: Dec 11 2012, 12:48 AM

Edit12: Thanks to -DuCkTApE-, I now have a new logo! I added it at the top of the page.
Also, I updated the percentage; I haven't changed it since the very first time I posted; it's high time to do so, wouldn't you say? icon_heh.gif
This post has been edited by Lightwulf: Jan 5 2013, 02:20 PM

Edit13: Updated completion percentage to 84.3%. (Haven't updated it in a while. icon_smile.gif )

Edited by Lightwulf, 19 April 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Edit 14: All Done!  Look for it soon at a PureZC near you!

Updated in post above.

Edited by Lightwulf, 11 October 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#2 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

Love the tile's
this looks like it's going to be really
good cant wait for you to release it icon_biggrin.gif

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

Looks great! It's a bit like Wind waker, right? Can't wait to play icon_smile.gif I like these new tiles!

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

This is really good! Great job! I especially like your Link tiles although they are a bit style clashy...

#5 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

FYI, I'm open to constructive criticism.

Pokemonmaster64, I wasn't sure what you meant by "style clashy".

I fixed my large tree tiles to look better, and I made a lighter green for the dark green of my Link tiles. Does this look any better?
IPB Image

Avataro, believe it or not, I haven't played Wind Waker yet. I'll have to look it up and see how it compares.

Edited by Lightwulf, 27 May 2011 - 01:56 PM.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ May 27 2011, 12:52 PM) View Post

FYI, I'm open to constructive criticism.

Pokemonmaster64, I wasn't sure what you meant by "style clashy".

I fixed my large tree tiles to look better, and I made a lighter green for the dark green of my Link tiles. Does this look any better?
IPB Image
Avataro, believe it or not, I haven't played Wind Waker yet. I'll have to look it up and see how it compares.

Oh my god, those remastered classic tiles look sweet. The ground and water could use the same detail you've given everything else, but other than that, it's perfect! You really must share your tileset! icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Dark Bero

Dark Bero

Zeldaman23 duplicate

• Banned

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Wow it look awesome! I love Zelda game. :3 Can't wait play your quest so badly. <3_<3

#8 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

Here's the latest update.

Last night I finished an area (I won't say what it is) that required multiple layers and it took quite a while. I only recently tried layers for the first time; it hasn't been previously necessary. But, in order for this area to work right, I had to use layers. I still have to test it, but that area is finally finished, so I'm saying the quest is at 76%.

Also, prior to finishing that area, I took Pokemonmaster64's advice and found some ground tiles to add detail to the ground.

However, I need advice on an issue. I've largely ignored the "Direct Warp" tiles in my quest because of ignorance. After I found out what they are for, I created the scene below.
IPB Image
(FYI, this is from an island that has ancient ruins on it; that's not a dungeon entrance you see.)
Anyway, the pit in the center leads to a snake pit below.

My question is this: For the direct warp tiles for the pit, does this look okay?

#9 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Wow, another quest I haven't noticed until now. This is a very interesting concept, and I like it. I love the tiles!

#10 Rex-Leviathan

Rex-Leviathan

Lost, Loneliness, Liberation!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ May 31 2011, 04:30 PM) View Post

Here's the latest update.

Last night I finished an area (I won't say what it is) that required multiple layers and it took quite a while. I only recently tried layers for the first time; it hasn't been previously necessary. But, in order for this area to work right, I had to use layers. I still have to test it, but that area is finally finished, so I'm saying the quest is at 76%.

Also, prior to finishing that area, I took Pokemonmaster64's advice and found some ground tiles to add detail to the ground.

However, I need advice on an issue. I've largely ignored the "Direct Warp" tiles in my quest because of ignorance. After I found out what they are for, I created the scene below.
IPB Image
(FYI, this is from an island that has ancient ruins on it; that's not a dungeon entrance you see.)
Anyway, the pit in the center leads to a snake pit below.

My question is this: For the direct warp tiles for the pit, does this look okay?

I'd say it looks great! icon_thumbsup.gif. Though, I'm not the greatest of a screen designer, so I can't say what could be improved on. Sorry icon_sorry.gif.

#11 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Update: I'm halfway done with the island I'm currently working on.

I would like feedback on the custom tiles for my market:

IPB Image
Do you think the perspective on the boxes looks alright? or do I need to modify it to one box top per tile (vice the two box tops per tile that I have now)?

IPB Image
How about my canopy tiles?

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

#12 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

the box's in the first image look good.. but the box's look a little
to tall
And second image
looks perfect
good work icon_thumbsup.gif
Still can't wait to play icon_biggrin.gif

#13 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

Hmm... That's interesting; I never considered that they were too tall. I'm patterning them after the crate boxes in OoT that Link could roll into to break. (I'm not making mine breakable, though.)

Maybe my questioning how they look perspectively can be fixed by making them shorter. I'll work with that. Thanks!

#14 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Another update.

Among other things, I just completed one of my secret levels, so I'm saying the quest completion is 80%.

You remember the "Under the Well" mini-dungeon from OoT? Well, I re-created it in ZC! Not 100% of course, because 2.10 doesn't have enemy editor to make the Re-deads or Skulltulas. So, I just placed more classic enemies to make it so the rooms aren't so boring. I put in different items to replace the skulltula tokens from OoT so that it's well worth exploring. So, it's still worth exploring after you receive the Lens of Truth!
And, by the way, I made the boss room in a different location from OoT since ZC doesn't have Link crawl through tight spaces.

Quick Tip: A single dungeon can have floors on different maps and you can make it so that one map (item) works for all floors! Simply assign DMaps to each map (I called mine "... B-1" and "... B-2") and assign the same dungeon number to each of the DMaps. It works! Be careful, though; each DMap has a compass assignment, so keep that in mind when designing the dungeon. What I did was have my B-2 floor with the compass marking the one room that leads back to B-1.

#15 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

That's awesome, Lightwulf! This'll be absolutely great!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users