Photo

How do I create a Zelda 1 Nes-styled dungeon minimap on Zquest?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Extreme184X

Extreme184X

• Members

Posted 26 May 2022 - 08:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

I fully Created my custom Quest based on the Original Legend of Zelda for the nes, i went through great lengths trying to figure how make the gameplay identical/authentic to the original Zelda, now the last thing that i am missing, which I cant figure this out for the love of me, which is:

How do I create a Zelda 1 Nes-styled dungeon minimap on Zquest on Active/passive subscreens? you know, the nes styled Purple/blueish rectangular boxes on the minimap that appears while in the dungeon. I tried many things, from settings to tiles, even tried to compare to an passworded 1st quest, can't seem to figure this out.

please help.

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 May 2022 - 11:27 PM

A few things to check:

• Map object not on subscreen: If you're using an existing subscreen this shouldn't be the case, but in order for the map to appear on the subscreen, there should be a Minimap or Large Map object on the subscreen. Large Map goes on the active subscreen while minimap is sized for the passive. They also have checkboxes for showing the map, player, and compass that should be checked.
  • Map squares set on the DMap: In dungeon or interior dmaps, there'll be a 8x8 grid of squares you can click to form the shape of your map. If your dungeon is built on an overworld dmap instead, this feature just doesn't work.
  • Player doesn't have the map / compass: This is pretty obvious but in order to view the minimap, you need to have the map item for that level. If you don't want maps in your quest, you can just set it to collected by default in the LItems tab of Init Data.
  • Map colors set up wrong: The colors used for the maps are hidden away in a tiny little infrequently used menu under Quest->Graphics->Misc Colors. I can't fathom what tileset would screw this up, but if any of the minimap colors in that menu are pointing to the same color used by your subscreen background, that'd cause problems seeing it naturally.

These are all the possible causes I can brainstorm up for why the map wouldn't show. Hope one of these helps.

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:23 AM

I may be mistaken, but having the level set to 0 and/or the dmap type not being NES dungeon could also cause problems.

• Lightwulf likes this

#4 Extreme184X

Extreme184X

• Members

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:47 PM

@Moosh,

I appreciate your feedback, your list is among the many things I have already tried.

Let me be more specific where I stand, In Zquest, "Map styles", "Dungeon Map", if I choose a Blank Tile, This fixes Passive subscreen when inside a dungeon during gameplay (when map is picked up) it will show the Purple/blueish minimap identical to the original nes, BUT then the "Large map" on my active dungeon map appears fully black and only showing my position, not showing explored areas (assuming dungeon map hasn't been picked up during gameplay), and also still remains black upon picking the dungeon map, and yes, the attributes of my large map have "show map", "Show Rooms", "Show player" & "Large" activated.

Tried a gazillion combination of things, settings, non stop for the past two weeks, my brain is fried. hoping someone can still help.

• Lightwulf likes this

#5 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 May 2022 - 03:12 AM

@Moosh,

I appreciate your feedback, your list is among the many things I have already tried.

Let me be more specific where I stand, In Zquest, "Map styles", "Dungeon Map", if I choose a Blank Tile, This fixes Passive subscreen when inside a dungeon during gameplay (when map is picked up) it will show the Purple/blueish minimap identical to the original nes, BUT then the "Large map" on my active dungeon map appears fully black and only showing my position, not showing explored areas (assuming dungeon map hasn't been picked up during gameplay), and also still remains black upon picking the dungeon map, and yes, the attributes of my large map have "show map", "Show Rooms", "Show player" & "Large" activated.

Tried a gazillion combination of things, settings, non stop for the past two weeks, my brain is fried. hoping someone can still help.

In the dmap editor for the dungeon's dmap, are the screens selected in the grid to be displayed?

• Lightwulf likes this

#6 Extreme184X

Extreme184X

• Members

Posted 29 May 2022 - 03:06 PM

@Emily

Thanks for your feedback, I ended up figuring it out, I took a day off rested my mind, analyzed possible solutions and finally got both the Large map (Active)& the minimap (Passive) to display correctly. it was a headache, an accomplishment after nearly two weeks trying to figure this out.

• Lightwulf likes this

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 May 2022 - 09:10 PM

@Emily

Thanks for your feedback, I ended up figuring it out, I took a day off rested my mind, analyzed possible solutions and finally got both the Large map (Active)& the minimap (Passive) to display correctly. it was a headache, an accomplishment after nearly two weeks trying to figure this out.

In case anybody else runs into this problem, what ended up being the issue? Hate looking up a problem and only finding "okay I found the solution myself" for an answer.

• Anthus and Lightwulf like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users