Metroid Origins: Version 3.0-Help/Bug Reports

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#46 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

To make Arachne necessary again....I would suggest adding the Plasma Beam barrier somewhere in the ship in the Ice World (after the gate with the script errors from before)...so that way its ultimately needed to get to the homing missiles, which are needed for the final barriers.

I'm reluctant to add more gate types... but plasma beam is piercing. Which means it can technically go through things other beams can't. I might have a trigger which requires this.

a super high damage area which only the Hyper Suit can resist The Hyper Beam itself could maybe open a super hidden barrier to a 'ultimate' boss of sorts, which could maybe unlock a secret ending...or a additional part of the ending as sort of a epilogue if one can somehow beat it.

The problem with that idea is that the Hyper Suit itself is intended to be optional. I could easily make a secret area, though where to put it is a better question.

Ideas for optional bosses if not original....Maybe a boss from Metroid Prime. Maybe Metroid Prime Itself, Emperor Ing, Or Dark Samus. Maybe the SA-X.

There are tiles for all of those; except Emperor Ing, available. I'm more concerned about story consistency, though.

BTW...there is a ZC quest called Metroid V: Rebirth...The final boss of that is the King Metroid. It should be easy enough to find a youtube video of that if you're interested in seeing it...and the boss is hella hard. Especially for a non scripted boss. You could also make this hidden 'ultimate' boss a alternative final boss...and trigger a alternative ending upon its defeat.

Yeah, I watched Eppy play through that. I've tried it myself, but it's just too hard for me.

Ok....it was a good idea making most of the new bosses only damageable by firing from underneath. That said....Triaxis is too weak. It does plenty of damage, but it died too easily even with Super Missiles, and I was at first tempted to use the Plasma Beam. Ridley had practically triple the life energy and more (I seriously thought he couldn't die when I ran out of both missiles)

I was mostly experimenting with these to see just how hard they were and what level I wanted the HP to be.

Plus, i don't want them harder than the last boss. Balancing the game is a task I'll save for after the bugs that wreck gameplay are gone.

The Automaton of Death was easy too. Seriously...the later bosses are the ones who should have extreme life levels....not earlier ones like Alpha Skree or even Ridley. A idea here...use higher life levels on later enemies....and those easy to hit...Ridley implements this perfectly...though extreme at this point of the game. The ones harder to hit....its safer to weaken them a bit...but not too much. 

I could also make it hurt you more. I agree about the "nearly invincible" part. When testing what happens when you die, I had to hunt for somewhere I could go to kill myself.

I don't know if you can do this or not...but can you make the red ring strength 1/3 instead of 1/4, and maybe make gold ring strength 1/6 instead of 1/8? I think that would balance things far better. Leave blue ring at 1/2....Just reduce the higher armors.

That's definitely doable, since they're the standard settings for blue, red and gold rings.

Wow...Computer Core Boss...I love it.
Exchanges weakness between missiles and super missiles....Beams don't hurt it at all. Also a good amount of power. This thing actually killed me...the first time since Nightmare. Leave this one as is. As much as I criticize most of them....I love this one and its perfectly fine as it is. That said....I know the later bosses...can you do anything to spice them up a bit? Why should this be easier than the finale?

Thanks. I'm especially fond of how it turned out.

There are graphical errors with the Ice Beam. Sometimes it looks like ice (normally), occasionally steel block tiles...and rarely a glitched part of the atmosphere. Just now noticed it.

That's odd... I've no idea why that'd be happening.

Observation on this note...if you intend a bonus ending for 100%, death free within a certain time frame...INCREASE THE TIMEFRAME. The fourth area makes the quest tremendously longer (my timer shows 8 hours. I don't recall what it was normally on previous plays). 

I finished my run in 3:30, though that was using the cheat code to get past a couple of glitches.

Metroid Queen...I disappeared and couldn't move...though I could still fire and be hit. I can't win like this.

Under what circumstances did this occur? Were you in midair?

PS....I decided to use this 'potential death' to test one thing again...the icons still disappear when you load a game anywhere that isn't the 'ship'

These icons are 
Missile, Super Missile, Power Bomb, Grapple Beam, Xray Scope, Metoid (ALL forms), Atomizer, and mini map becomes empty grid. 
Timer still displays....energy and energy tanks display....Metroid's health displays...and location displays. Everything else is gone.

Are you talking about the ship on the Dark Side/ice region or the one you land in?

Wait...further observation...MB does not respawn...is this this intentional? I thought the final battle was meant to be a combination of two. Maybe not?

No...this is not intentional...because the computer afterwards is already activated....I can't reach it, because of the ceiling barricade it makes when its activated for the escape sequence. Therefore I have no 'second chance' at queen Metroid.

I'm actually permastuck...at the very end of the quest...because Queen killed me (because I disappeared)

Make the self destruct computer trigger temporary...not permanent...and I think this issue is solved. I await tomorrow's update.

It wasn't entirely intentional, though easy to fix.

I think for that part with the computer, I'll make the blocks that spawn to keep you from going back crumble blocks so it's one way.

Edited by ywkls, 01 July 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#47 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

I've just sort of been bumbling along through this quest and the few bugs I've found have already been described.

However, I seem to be stuck trying to find yellow door bombs or the way past the gate in the Hot area past the blocks.

I opened the first gate in the ICE World but I have no idea where it is.

Any help to help me proceed would be appreciated.

#48 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

However, I seem to be stuck trying to find yellow door bombs or the way past the gate in the Hot area past the blocks.

I opened the first gate in the ICE World but I have no idea where it is.

The yellow door bombs (power bombs) are guarded by Draygon. You'll need Diffusion Missiles and the Metroid (Large) to reach him. If you have both of those, then you should be able to reach him. He's at the top of the area you reach by going through the green door near your ship.

The gate in the hot area is opened by a switch in the ice area. I've added a hint about this now. Also, the first 3 security terminals open gates in one room, which you can reach after you get the power bombs. The Remote Access gates are labels A, B and C and open doors in rooms with similar labels.

@Epsalon ZX- I think I finally figured out what was going wrong with the Game Over (and why going to the ship fixed it).

So, the screen you warp to when you die has a Cutscene script, to disable drawing the player and the subscreen while the Game Over is going on. But, only the ship has a script which sets things back to normal.

Fixing it was as simple as adding a couple of lines to the Game Over menu script, so that should be the last of that issue.

I've also added some changes to how the giant spider (Yakuza) behaves. One of his problems was that the original script ignored "No Enemy" blocks and kept trying to move in the same direction even if the wall over that way was solid.

Now he should not get stuck in the wall, though at times he may seem to be trapped in corners.

#49 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Thank you, I have work to do!

Lots of fun.

• ywkls likes this

#50 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

I forgot to mention this, but I also bumped up the health and damage outputs of Triaxis, the Eye of Fate and the Death Mask. Left the computer core alone however. All three now have more health than Ridley, but less than what Mother Brain does. (Their damage output is also in a similar range.)

Whenever I play through again, I'll see whether that makes them too hard for me on normal mode. Until then, I'll probably leave the settings for the various suits alone.

Edited by ywkls, 01 July 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#51 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

just beat triaxis with the games latest update and for some reason, this door is suddenly bugged http://imgur.com/a/YlZs3

I cant get through it from the top, or bottom. also, is there supposed to be an E tank in the room on the way to the boss? i see an item circle, but no item in sight and i flooded the entire room in missiles and power bombs. 

edit: http://imgur.com/a/3tzOS

I gave up on that one item which i assume is now a missile pack for the 255 max that i didnt notice was a new addition to the game instead of the standard 230. I can definitely do it faster though with proper planning on item pickups, but the 3 hour original goal is still doable for the newer players. 

Idk whats wrong with my game, but speeding through it seems to be what bugs it out all the time. random shots end up uncovering out of place glitch blocks, and more invisible barriers, but its nothing a reset doesnt fix.

it took me a bit to figure out the last few handfuls of bosses for the first time, but they weren't too bad. I thought i was going to be screwed on the boss that looks like it came from the jungle zone of super C. 

I'll leave it up to epsalon to find the rest of the bugs, if any. I'll keep playing through any new updates as well to see if i find anything else.

Edited by chocobothief12, 01 July 2017 - 11:54 PM.

#52 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:19 AM

just beat triaxis with the games latest update and for some reason, this door is suddenly bugged http://imgur.com/a/YlZs3

I cant get through it from the top, or bottom.

Hmm... let me check something... nope, it's aligned properly. (That is to say, at the right pixel location.)

I don't know what you're doing differently than anyone else which is causing this (or some of the other weird bugs you've reported).

also, is there supposed to be an E tank in the room on the way to the boss? i see an item circle, but no item in sight and i flooded the entire room in missiles and power bombs. 

If there was an item circle, there was probably an item. Which room was this?

I gave up on that one item which i assume is now a missile pack for the 255 max that i didnt notice was a new addition to the game instead of the standard 230. I can definitely do it faster though with proper planning on item pickups, but the 3 hour original goal is still doable for the newer players. 

FYI, the script that calculates your percentage of completion is busted. There are 50 missile tanks, but only because that number made the total of all items you can collect precisely 120.

it took me a bit to figure out the last few handfuls of bosses for the first time, but they weren't too bad. I thought i was going to be screwed on the boss that looks like it came from the jungle zone of super C. 

That's probably where it came from, since I did in fact rip out a sprite from that game.

#53 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:25 AM

http://imgur.com/a/NkHVb

this is the room with the item circle. 

since i have the 250 missiles, im assuming i have everything, including the extra reserve and hyper suit.

#54 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

http://imgur.com/a/NkHVb

this is the room with the item circle. 

since i have the 250 missiles, im assuming i have everything, including the extra reserve and hyper suit.

That item circle is actually a mistake. Sorry.

That being said, there's definitely something both you and I are missing. (I fixed the game completion script, so it will display correctly now.) I have 119 of 120 items.

Final Item count should be:                                                                                                Item Total
50 Missile tanks                                                                                                                  50

10 each of Super Missiles and Power Bombs                                                                    70

5 beams(Charge, Ice, Spazer, Wave and Plasma)                                                             75

3 suits(Varia, Gravity and Hyper)                                                                                        78

5 reserve tanks                                                                                                                   83

4 Xenotech(Power Grip, Hyper Grip, Quantum Key, Phase Nexus)                                   87

3 Boots items(Hi-Jump, Space Jump and Speed Boost)                                                    90

4 Metroid Upgrades(Normal, Fire, Large, Final)                                                                  94

Atomizer                                                                                                                               95

Grapple Beam                                                                                                                      96

X-Ray Visor                                                                                                                          97

5 Miscellanoues Upgrades(Morph Ball, Bomb, Spring Ball, Screw Attack, Regenerator)   102

18 energy tanks                                                                                                                    120

I just checked the item scripts and they should all be increasing the secret count as you collect items. The only thing which might be interfering with stuff is the fact that the max of the counter is set via script. But I'd have to play through the whole game again to test that.

If you'd like to help on that front, I can send you a copy of the quest with just that rule turned off so we can see what happens if you get the items listed above without that script counter's max set.

#55 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:02 AM

ok so do you want me to start another file on the different version of the quest?

i was gonna ask if it was possible to have a % tracker like how the original origins was. thats usually how i made sure i had everything before completing my runs

Edited by chocobothief12, 02 July 2017 - 01:04 AM.

#56 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

ok so do you want me to start another file on the different version of the quest?

i was gonna ask if it was possible to have a % tracker like how the original origins was. thats usually how i made sure i had everything before completing my runs

Yeah, that'd probably be best once I get the changes implemented.

I wanted a percent tracker too, but I kind of felt like that there wasn't any space left on the subscreen for one.

#57 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

well ok then, send over the quest and i'll give it  a go. should i keep it 2x hp/damage, or just breeze through normal?

there's only 2 places i could see a % tracker going on the screen. either the area to the left of the selectable weapons, or the small space under the boots. it is kinda full but no worries

#58 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

well ok then, send over the quest and i'll give it  a go. should i keep it 2x hp/damage, or just breeze through normal?

there's only 2 places i could see a % tracker going on the screen. either the area to the left of the selectable weapons, or the small space under the boots. it is kinda full but no worries

Both, if you like.

Also, I decided on a good place for the percent tracker.

On the map subscreen, at the bottom; directly below the word "Map". I felt that was not only appropriate, but also had plenty of space to spare. I should note that it will be drawn over any section of the map which occupies the same spot.

The changes to that, and the fix to the game's completion script are now reflected in the main file download.

I'll get the alternate copy up for you in just a little while longer.

#59 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

all right sweet. glad to know that the tracking was possible

#60 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:43 AM

http://imgur.com/a/upOsz

finished the version you sent me. every item counted except for the xray. i checked after each pickup to make sure. didnt know what the stuff about duplicate items was about though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users