TS's Video Game Rants

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#76 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

You mean the slide? That didn't come around until Megaman 3.

Ah okay, that would explain the anger about it during the Game Grumps playthrough xD

#77 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

It's been a year to the day since my last rant. Which I didn't even realize earlier today when I thought about this thread. Been a long time, but I kind of want to revive it.

But with what?

The only two potential ideas I'd thought about and mentioned in this thread before were the CoD franchise and Sonic Unleashed, the latter not in a "this game is bad" way but in more of a "this game is good and why can't you jerks see that" way. The former, I'm not gonna do. I feel it wouldn't be fair anymore and would also be pretty uneducated, especially since I haven't played any of the games since Modern Warfare and a little of MW2's multiplayer at a friend's. The latter is still a potential topic, however it's been long enough that I feel it would be better served if I replayed the game again, so I would have to do that first.

In the meantime, something will come to mind. And I'm open to suggestions, though that doesn't necessarily mean I'll use them.

Looking through this thread, hard to believe it's two and a half years old, and impressive still to see that my opinions in each rant haven't changed... mostly. The Other M rant, I see myself defending some things I wouldn't defend now, namely the linearity not being as bad, the story not being as bad, and the Ridley PTSD scene not being as bad. Which I now find all three of the above being terrible. But otherwise they've stood up well, which pleases me. So it's been a good two-and-a-half years of rants, even though there were only six, and I'll try to get to something soon. So hang tight...

#78 GamingNomad

GamingNomad

formerly KenMeister

• Members

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

It's been a year to the day since my last rant. Which I didn't even realize earlier today when I thought about this thread. Been a long time, but I kind of want to revive it.

But with what?

The only two potential ideas I'd thought about and mentioned in this thread before were the CoD franchise and Sonic Unleashed, the latter not in a "this game is bad" way but in more of a "this game is good and why can't you jerks see that" way. The former, I'm not gonna do. I feel it wouldn't be fair anymore and would also be pretty uneducated, especially since I haven't played any of the games since Modern Warfare and a little of MW2's multiplayer at a friend's. The latter is still a potential topic, however it's been long enough that I feel it would be better served if I replayed the game again, so I would have to do that first.

In the meantime, something will come to mind. And I'm open to suggestions, though that doesn't necessarily mean I'll use them.

Looking through this thread, hard to believe it's two and a half years old, and impressive still to see that my opinions in each rant haven't changed... mostly. The Other M rant, I see myself defending some things I wouldn't defend now, namely the linearity not being as bad, the story not being as bad, and the Ridley PTSD scene not being as bad. Which I now find all three of the above being terrible. But otherwise they've stood up well, which pleases me. So it's been a good two-and-a-half years of rants, even though there were only six, and I'll try to get to something soon. So hang tight...

I dunno if you do games that are still on the horizon, but Metroid Prime Federation Force would be a good start. If not, I'd do something like Mega Man X1. Not a bad game at all, but much like Mega Man 2, tends to overshadow the other X games for the wrong reasons.

#79 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about unreleased games, but it seems unfair, especially when I'm willing to give Federation Force a chance for being a spinoff like it is. As for Megaman X, that would require playing more X games, and they're just not my cup of tea. :P

#80 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

I don't know how I'm just now seeing this thread, but I immediately love it.

100% agreed on Mega Man 2, tbh. The design is really weak. There's even a song about how broken Air Man is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opADNvgeZYY

Credit where it's due: Wily's Castle from MM2 might be one of the best songs in the Mega Man franchise. But that's basically all this game has going for it relative to other Mega Man games.

4 and 9 are probably my top favorites in the main-series, though. 9's music is by far my favorite, and I've always found 4 to be the most exciting and memorable.

Edited by Fabbrizio, 30 June 2015 - 07:43 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

#81 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

I thought necromancy was banned in Cyrodiil? Oh well.

Maybe you could rant about ESO? Metroid Prime Hunters? Metroid Prime Pinball? TeS IV: Oblivion?

Just a couple suggestions off the top of my head :P

#82 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

You know, TS, I have to completely agree with Mega Man 2. I always felt it was overrated when I first started playing it years ago. It may be a good game, but oh boy, does it have flaws:

The first problem is that the boss order doesn't loop like in 1, 4-10 and MM&B. Why's this bad? Three of the bosses are felled easily by the Metal Blade (Bubble, Flash and Wood*). It also has the worst designed boss in the Classic series with the turrets. Did you misfire a Crash Bomb, which it's ridiculously easy to do? Welp, you have to die and hope an enemy drops a large weapon canister.

Another problem the game has is that if you get game over, all your energy tanks are forfeited. This wouldn't be a problem except in the Wily Stages, where now you can't backtrack to previous stages at all.

The bullshit with Heat Man's stage is why I fight him after Air Man, because there's almost no room for error in the block segment. It's also easy to fuck up because you can end up missing a jump.

*Only possible when his shield's down. Although it deals 2 damage, you can spam it to deal more than that.

#83 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:34 AM

It also has the worst designed boss in the Classic series with the turrets. Did you misfire a Crash Bomb, which it's ridiculously easy to do? Welp, you have to die and hope an enemy drops a large weapon canister.

I also never understood why those guys were the last miniboss before Wily. It's such an anti-climax.

Until very recently when I replayed 2, I had remembered them as being the second boss, then wall monster room third, then GutsMobile fourth. That lineup would have made a LOT more sense. When I remembered the actual order, I realized how much I don't actually like it as a game. Had I not been playing on an emulator with the rewind function mapped to a very convenient key so I could play it like Braid, I would never have had the patience for its bullshit.

Edited by Fabbrizio, 01 July 2015 - 02:35 AM.

• Erdrick likes this

#84 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:29 AM

Even Normal mode in international versions doesn't even fix the problems that game has.

Now, on to Super Mario 3D World: Although I haven't played it, my friend has, and she honestly hated the whole grinding for stamps for each character. Presumably, I don't think she finished that prerequisite because she had enough of that game's padding.

#85 Shosci

Shosci

Gaming Topics and Live Streams

• Members

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

Mega Man 2 is one of my favorites in the series. Not because of nostalgia, I literally started playing the Classic series for the first time last January and I can't stop.

I will agree with the glitchy qwerks like falling after you changed a weapon from the menu which from what I understand, Mega Man 1 & 3 are guilty of as well. I will agree with the unbalancement of weapons. The Metal Blades are disgustingly overpowered. Which is why I always do Metal Man last. 

I get the most replayability from MM2, probably because of how easy it is. I mean half of the Robot Masters are weak to the Mega Buster in 'Difficult' mode and the weapons are pretty good. 

I at least don't think it should be considered the best in the series. Maybe most iconic, but Mega Man 6 and 9 I prefer much more, especially 9  :love:

#86 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:44 PM

The thing with MM2 is that was the most groundbreaking and innovative, it has the best music, the best selection of weapons, the best selection of robots (from an artistic perspective), the more memorable and iconic stages and the best ending. Sure, It's not perfect, but it has the capability to get stuck in the mind of the players because THE KEY things are done right. Others games in the series maybe improved things in the technical side, but they just feel like rehashes with inferior music, ugly robots, bad weapons or the addition of the stupid Mega buster that automatically pushed these games back. Innovation and inspiration was always more appreciated than simply polish the same game over and over. MM3 had the potential and the ideas, but it's simply too bland at times. Only MM9 is objectively better than MM2, and even MM9 can't compete with MM2 in boss design, music or ending.

#87 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

I enjoy the 8 bit Megaman games, but I think they all suffer from having cheap difficulty by design until you beat and memorize it. Those games aren't particularly long, so that's when you get artificial difficulty padding :D

#88 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

Megaman 2

...So let me begin with the Metal Blade... one of the things people remember the most about this game is this overpowered little bastard. The item balancing in this game is pretty nonexistent, not that the Metal Blade is powerful against EVERYTHING, there are a few enemies and bosses that are resistant or outright immune to it, but the majority of enemies are vulnerable to varying degrees, and you don't lose much ammunition for it with each use. Heck, I'm half-certain Metal Blade only is a viable strategy once you obtain it. At least three robot masters have a weakness to it, four if you count the literal one-hit kill Metal Man himself takes from it in the rematch. Pretty freakin' amusing, but it only further highlights the lack of balance in this game, I barely remember using the other weapons in many places except for enemies that had a substantial weakness to them.

Praise over, let's talk about some cheap enemy placement that's entirely dependent upon your weapon loadout at the time. Okay I'll be fair, most of it just comes in Crash Man's stage. The vertical section with those enemy cylinder things in specific are pretty annoying when you can't aim directionally (hey look I'm talking about the Metal Blade again), and the big climbing section near the end as well. It's pretty garbage, and if you're not prepared, it's gonna screw you up. "So go get the Metal Blade fir—" NO YOU LISTEN TO ME, EACH LEVEL SHOULD BE ACCESSIBLE FROM THE START REGARDLESS OF YOUR LOADOUT, THIS IS JUST SHIT.

Here's the thing about (admittedly) OP weapons you don't have to use them, they're entirely optional. I really don't see how they break the game balance unless you decide to use them. How is it any different than choosing whether or not to buy the infinite guns in RE4 (many of which kill everything in one shot)?. Personally, I prefer using boss weapons only on the bosses they're intended for, which (for Metal Blades) means Bubble Man (and maybe some Wily stage bosses). Most of the time I prefer not using special weapons at all for the entire series. Special weapons make the games much too easy IMO, and are just there to help out less skilled and/or casual players. Beating all 10 games without special weapons is something I enjoy doing, it's challenging, but rarely frustrating (to me).
  Which bring me to the points you mention where levels nearly force you to use the Metal Blade (paraphrasing you as best as I can). I just related how I've gone through all 10 games without using special weapons (there's a few required uses, but not very many). I can get through the levels without the Metal Blade just fine. *shrugs*

Speaking of lack of accessibility, Heat Man's stage. That little Yoku Block segment over the fire pit? Damn near impossible without Item-2, aka the Rush Jet prototype (seriously go play Megaman 3 instead, it's so much better). In fact, unless you have great reflexes or completely memorize it, just leave the stage. To do that, kill yourself until you game over, because you ain't getting out of that stage otherwise. I'll be fair, that I know of, there's no way to exit a stage in Megaman games besides getting a game over, but you never really need to because for the most part the levels are designed pretty fairly. NOT SO HERE. That's right, you come here too early? Game over yourself and come back later, because good design.

It's not easy, but I've done it *shrugs*. I'll admit those of us who grew up playing NES at the time were used to games abusing us and think that's normal. It makes later systems feel ridiculously easy IMO. NES gamers have hard skin, at least I'm among the ones that do.
   Don't get me wrong Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) Castlevania on hard, and certain parts of the Ninja Gaiden trilogy frustrate me to no end, but I've beaten them. The Mega Man games feel like a refreshing walk in the breeze after the insane difficulty of those titles, so, yeah, Mega Man games don't frustrate me at all, I enjoy them.

Speaking of Item-2, maybe I'm missing something, but is it even possible to disable that, or Item-1 and Item-3, or Flash Stopper while they're active? Seems like a big waste of energy to have to move off-screen to get rid of Item-1 through Item-3, or to use Flash Stopper... at all... not that there's anywhere besides maybe two, maybe three places you'd ever use it, two of those three being Quick Man and the rematch.

Interesting point, like you said though, they're hardly used so it just never mattered to me. As someone who doesn't like to use special weapons, the game sure has a lot of ammo drops that are useless to me, so at least the weapons/items I do use are easy to refill.

The other being... those... afsdkl;jtoiwerjalf-ing beams in Quick Man's stage. I used to think "No, they're fine" from memory, I used to think "you can avoid those." You can... with basically memory and/or extreme reflexes. You can use the Flash Stopper if you have Quick Man's other weakness or are confident going in with the buster or another weapon, but the aforementioned inability to disable it (again, unless I'm missing something) makes you run out quicker, and if you get hit, well, go back to learning to memorize it and move quickly, because you're out of Flash Stopper power. Also you'll probably end up having to do the whole stage again.

Lol, quick beams are fun, they amuse me. I can see how they bother other people though. Honestly I think this is more about your attitude and perspective than a game flaw. Some people will like it, and others won't.

Gonna sum up some of my smaller points real quickly. Back on the topic of cheap enemy placement, how about the really tiny passages in Wily Stage 4 that are Megaman's height that possess a Sniper Joe that's just outside your reach, meaning you can't stand outside to dodge his shots and fire back?

I don't remember this, but if they're on a surface level with the top of a ladder, you can safely destroy them while you're on top of the ladder. There is a position where Mega Man's head is down except when he's firing. 

Then there's the somewhat cheap spike placement in Stage 3 that can get you fairly easily and completely by chance.

Spikes under  you on vertical scrolling stages? That's a memorization puzzle. Sure it's mean, but you can't blame JUST the Mega Man series for this, tons of NES games had "memorize or die" segments. It was a commonplace trend.

There are those drills that flood the hallways, whose purpose is clearly for grinding only, but they're so unpredictable and annoying that it's practically impossible to get through them without taking damage; there are way better ways to grind.

Actually, they don't appear directly above/below you so if you inch forward slowly and patiently while firing, you'll never get hit. Tedious yes, but nothing more.

But that's only the beginning boss. No, the final pre-Wily boss is another monstrosity entirely: The Boobeam Trap, or "that fucking thing." You see, there's a series of little bulbs that are weak to the Crash Bomb only. They're protected by walls... ... that only Crash Bombs can destroy. Also, there are more walls and traps combined than your Crash Bomb can actually destroy, so you better pick your shots carefully and don't miss; even in an optimal route you will only have enough to shoot everything that must be shot to destroy it. So what if you miss a shot? What if you die prematurely? What if you accidentally fire too many shots? Die and restart? Did you forget that unless you game over your weapon energy doesn't refill?! You'll either have to somehow grind energy back or just game over to refill your energy in order to try again and you might fail again and have to repeat the process AND YOU KNOW WHAT?!

Lol, I already covered this, but typical NES trolling. I'm okay with it, but I don't expect everyone to be.

Screw this boss and screw this game. "Best Megaman game" my bug-bitten ass. There's nothing worth continuing for after this point anyway, not that it was really worth getting here to begin with. Wily is so disappointingly easy even without these ludicrous "challenges" that you might as well quit, his machine can be easily spammed to death with Metal Blade (HEY LOOK IT'S BACK AGAIN) and then his final form is among the easiest bosses in the entire series.

Again, you don't have to use Metal Blades, they're an easy way out for people who are having a hard time. It's like putting in a cheat code, don't blame the code because you chose to use it. I really don't get that.

I dunno, maybe Capcom realized their mistakes and instead of fixing the game they just went "we're sorry, have easy final bosses," which doesn't excuse a damn thing! No. This game is crap, yet it somehow overshadows the rest of the series in the eyes of most fanboys, when practically every other game is better. ... okay, practically every 8-bit game. Megaman 5 is debatable. I can't fathom why when this game's full of so much crap that I'd honestly rather not ever pay money for, I'll just get the other games (again except 5) and enjoy those while forgetting about this heap of crap. Even the first game with its problems is better.

And you wanna know the worst thing about this game? That damn soundtrack. How dare it be so blissful and pleasant to the ears. Not quite godly like Megaman 3's (I'm honestly not trying to sound like I'm whoring out that game even though I totally am), but still pretty damn good even though I still think the Wily theme everyone loves is fairly overrated. I swear I'm gonna go find the composer and angrily thank him for making me enjoy this music. Little son of a...

GO PLAY MEGAMAN 3.

I enjoy the challenge, flavor, music and variety of Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3 is also great, but falls short in several areas compared to 2 if you ask me.

Edited by Cukeman, 25 June 2016 - 01:55 AM.

#89 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

For two years has this thread lied dormant, awaiting the time it may see the light of day once more. Since the thrashing of Megaman 2, no game has made TS feel strongly enough to release an outpour of negative feelings. Until...

Fallout 3

I'll be upfront: I'm a newbie to this series, out of the loop other than knowing that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic United States. So out of the loop I thought Bethesda was the creator of the series, therefore had no idea why New Vegas, seemingly a spinoff game, was often more loved than the popular Fallout 3. Then I learned. The Fallout series was originally owned by Interplay Entertainment and developed by Black Isle Studios. The first two games were isometric role-playing games on PC, but financial troubles caused their version of Fallout 3 to be canceled as Interplay sold Fallout to Bethesda in order to stay afloat.

This explains everything.

Now again, I'm a newbie, having started the series with New Vegas... which was not developed by Bethesda. Instead, it was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, who, incidentally, were comprised of many former writers and developers for the original Fallout games. And... it's a wonderful game. Enjoyably well-written, with tons of characters and factions to influence, and, while there's "only" four ending paths, there are many variations of each ending as well. It's a role-player's dream, where choices matter, and I loved every minute of it.

So imagine my disappointment when Fallout 3 has some of the most generic writing, a non-compelling plot, and an infuriatingly-written ending. Oh no, by now I was well aware of the history of the franchise, so I knew I was going into a game that had different writers. All the same, I thought I could at least trust Bethesda to make a competent story; granted, my only experience with Bethesda writing was Oblivion, but I thought that was a really well-done story. What I got instead was one of the most pointless and mind-numbingly linear adventures I've ever played. "Isn't it an open world game?" ... that's not what I meant.

Remember how I said above that New Vegas is all about options, with many choices that influence the ending? Here, your choices amount to jack shit. There's a couple larger factions you can aid in New Vegas with smaller ones you can also join. There's only two major factions in 3 and you're conscripted into one no matter your choices throughout the story. You cannot choose to be an evil bastard and join the bad guys. You can, however, choose to be an evil bastard and still end up fighting alongside the good guys at the end. For Christ's sake, you can blow up a town full of innocent people at the beginning just to be evil and the resident protectors of the wastes will still take you in for the final battle. Not to mention working alongside slavers to conquer slaves, capturing an escaped android to return to the tyrannical institute he escaped from, and generally slaughter innocents and be a dick.

But you can only join the good guys.

I wouldn't even mind if the main quest was written well. But it isn't. See, you're led to believe you were born and raised in one of Fallout's many Vaults—structures meant to preserve people during the war, though most (if not all) of them had some sort of dark experiment running in the background as well. Your mother died giving birth to you and your Liam Neeson dad is raising you alone, until one day when you're an adult you find that your father has vanished, left the Vault, and you must escape and find him because suddenly Vault security wants you dead too. So you've gotta escape and search the D.C. Wasteland for him, along the way being told that neither you nor your father were born in the Vault after all, despite the Vault's given mission to never open its door. ... so why does no one seemingly question the sudden appearance of a man and his baby, or pick on you for being some sort of outsider? I mean, there's a playable segment that takes place during your tenth birthday party, and kids do pick on you... but not for coming from outside of the Vault. I don't care if the Overseers are all corrupt and told the residents to keep silent; someone's gotta be whispering about it, and how that avoids your character's ears for nineteen years is beyond me.

So you keep running around and you find out the truth about your dad from some acquaintances: He was a scientist working on "Project Purity," a huge undertaking with the goal of purifying the water in the Capital, centered within the Jefferson Memorial. But the project was hitting some bumps, and then you were born, and their protection—the Brotherhood of Steel—was being spread thin and needed to dedicate their resources elsewhere, so your dad escaped to the Vault with you for your protection. Presumably, the only reason the Vault let him in was because he was a good physician, which they needed. Apparently, however, all this time he hadn't given up hope on the project, and that's why he left: To revive it. No need to tell his kid a damn thing at all, right, just leave them to get killed for... reasons, I guess? Sure, he let in some mutated roaches when he left, but that's not your fault.

Eventually you rescue your dad from another Vault, after a weird but amusing segment, and he attempts to explain himself; you can rightfully tell him "Fuck you" but since I play nicer characters I didn't. Still, fuck him. His first order of business is getting the band back together and starting to work on the project again, which he tasks your help... including singlehandedly clearing out the super mutant infestation in the Jefferson Memorial without offering any support. Then, as the scientists are starting to settle back into their roles, the bad guys of the game swoop in...

... and the real problems with the game begin.

This is the Enclave, a pre-apocalyptic remnant of the United States government, a militant and heinous group dedicated to recreating the "ideal" America while purging the unclean. But this is barely explained to you, and there's not really much of a reason given to hate this group in this game other than "they're shooting at you on sight and want Project Purity for themselves." There's no character given to this group, no development... and again, no option to join them. Which isn't something I'd do, but this is a role-playing game for Christ's sakes. Remember when I said you could blow up an entire town?! Your dad isn't even furious at you, he's just "I'm very disappointed in you" and then goes back to work. Your choices in this game don't fucking matter in the end.

Sorry I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyway, yes, they demand your dad turn over Project Purity to them, locking themselves in the control room with him and two other scientists. Dad tries to reason with them that the project won't work (arguably accurate, there's a piece of equipment you don't have yet that's the last piece needed to make it work), but the Southern-accented Colonel Autumn doesn't have it, threatening him by killing one of the other scientists. Your dad responds by overloading the reactor, releasing a burst of lethal radiation, sacrificing himself to prevent it from falling into the Enclave's hands. Sacrificing the other scientist without his input as well. And no, you can't hack open the door and cap Autumn to save Dad, no matter how much sense that makes.

Makes about as much sense as running into Autumn again later wait what. No, seriously, after hooking up with the Brotherhood of Steel to discover the location of the GECK you need, you get captured by the Enclave and wake up to Colonel Autumn. Zero explanation. You can see an animation of him seemingly injecting something into his arm during the overloading sequence but that still makes no goddamn sense. Yes, there's radiation resistance/removal drugs in this universe, but... we'll get back to that. Anyway, you're invited to speak to the President of the Enclave... an AI that asks you to dump a drug into the purifier that will help further the Enclave's goals by targeting and killing "unclean" individuals that come into contact with, i.e. anyone with a mutation from the waste's radiations. Autumn seemingly doesn't agree with this course of action, not that it's ever told to you, and the place blows up after you escape.

So now it's time for the final battle to take back the purifier, and, after all you've been through, the Brotherhood of Steel makes you an honorary member. The honorable, courageous Brotherhood of Steel, who set themselves apart from the west coast chapters by reinterpreting their Codex to support protection of the wastes and its people... will let you in even if you're a genocidal bastard. That's the only course of action. You then join them and their recently-reactivated giant patriotic robot (who's awesome, let's not lie) to break through the Enclave's lines and infiltrate Project Purity. You fight through to the purifier, and you can either talk down Autumn or kill him before you get a message from one of the scientists: The purifier is overloading and needs to be activated now or it will destroy itself. The catch... it's still bursting lethal radiation doses.

And here's where the game completes its full self-lobotomy because this is the most fucking braindead writing I've witnessed in a while. You're presented with a handful of options: Sacrifice yourself to activate it, tell your Brotherhood companion to activate it, send in a different companion you might have to activate it, or watch it explode. I neglected to mention, there's three companions—a super mutant, a ghoul (mutated, irradiated, zombie-like human), and a robot—who are resistant to radiation and therefore would be perfect to take on this task. Oh, but bad news... unless you own the Broken Steel DLC, this isn't even an option. In the vanilla game, unless you let it explode, someone's dying. Never mind the gross neglect of the more viable option in the default game, let's talk about what happens when you do pick it: The ending narration treats you like a coward for taking the objectively smart route. Yes, it will actually say something to the effect of "It came time for you to learn the greatest of virtues: Sacrifice. But you chose not to follow in your father's footsteps, sending in another hero instead." Why can't I be told "Thanks to your smart thinking, no one had to sacrifice their life"?! This is the part that angers me the most about this whole mess of a storyline.

Oh, but guess what else the Broken Steel DLC adds? Even if you choose to sacrifice yourself to activate the purifier, you just wake up two weeks later from a coma, unscathed. Despite the lethal doses of radiation. Despite the fact it killed everyone else but the plot-armored Autumn. I mean I guess if Autumn can survive then so should I but it's still a complete ass-pull.

I forgot to mention you can choose to dump the drug the AI President gave you at the end as well but like everything else it amounts to nothing. Let me say that again: You can do something the bad guy asks you to do, but you still can't just straight-up join his faction.

Fallout 3's writing is atrocious. It has decent exploration and there's even some quests, characters, and areas that are legitimately entertaining, but the main story is incredible garbage from beginning to end. Shockingly, its five DLC campaigns are a lot better written and even legitimately good, including the new postgame Broken Steel added. Coma notwithstanding. I was actually stunned that they seemingly saved the good writers for the DLC while shitting out such tripe for the vanilla game. And based on what I've heard about Fallout 4, I just may never touch it or another Bethesderp-made Fallout game ever again.

In conclusion: Gary.

• Norzan likes this

#90 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

Fallout 4 isn't too bad. If you haven't played it for yourself, there's a YouTuber called "Gopher" who does role-playing let's play videos of various Bethesda games, as well as creates mods for said games. Try watching a few episodes of his Fallout 4 series. He played that one blind, with only bug-fix mods or mods to let him tweak the controls as he uses a custom gaming keyboard and usually needs to re-map buttons. It's a pretty good way of showing off the game, and Gopher is incredibly entertaining in his own right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users