210 replies to this topic

#16 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Call of Duty:

I don't freaking understand why this is so popular, including online. I don't know how you spend LITERALLY ALL day playing the same EXACT game and doing the SAME thing without getting bored. It's friggen nonsense.

Edited by Jared, 01 September 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#17 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Sep 1 2011, 09:02 PM) View Post
(The longest I've got going is Card Captor Sakura which breaks 70 I believe, and I'm only watching it for two reasons: nostalgia and seeing how the bloody thing ended. I never got to see the end as a kid. ):< )
Rurouni Kenshin was 95 or so episodes. That one's worth a watch, just because except for the really early episodes, the entire time you can feel the story closing in on a conclusion.

#18 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

One word- The Davinci Code. Never read it, not interested enough to read it. Of course, I'm not a Christian, so the supposition that Jesus had a significant other only drew a resounding "Well, DUHHHH!" from me. A more than match for TDC is _The Rule of Four_, about the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili.

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

I have always admired anime art, however, in motion it rarely appeals to me.
Exceptions are the anime work in Sonic CD and Mega Man X4 which I really enjoy.
However, the types of stories most animes tell don't interest me. I'm sure there
is some good stuff out there, but it's not for me, know what I mean?

I thought the Sonic the Hedgehog anime movie had some really great moments,
but some of the off-the-wall humor doesn't register with me. Another thing
which bothers me about anime is the stock anime characters, the main characters
are generally unique, but their circle of friends always seems to be the same
stereotypes, anti-hero, goof-off, cutesy nurse girl, etc.

Of course I don't really have a lot of experience with anime, so my opinions are
partially based on ignorance. I have enjoyed some manga though.

#20 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

Oh goodie! A b****ing thread! Yay! Hmm, where to start...

Online multiplayer: When you're playing with your friends it's ok, but I don't know how so many people can handle playing with strangers. I can play games like Guitar Hero because your opponent has no influence on your actions, they can't talk to you, and if they're cheating it's no skin off my back - I can leave and find another opponent. The only thing that annoys me is people that quit because they're losing (which is most of the time, since I'm so 1337). Anyway, I digress. Other people on the internet are assholes. Period. No qualifiers necessary - if you are on the internet, and you are not me, you are an asshole. I'm not going to play a game where I'm forced to put up with assholes, and I can't understand how so many people do... oh right, because they're the ones being assholes.

Poor orthography (yes, it's totally popular): Learn the difference between their, there, and they're, and between your and you're (it's and its is slightly more bearable). Use punctuation, and use it where appropriate. Make also ur grammar gud.

As a special case, I can't stand people that say "I could care less". The saying is "I couldn't care less", as in "my care for this subject is as low as it could possibly be, and couldn't be any lower". Saying "I could care less" implies some degree of care, since it's possible to care less than you currently do.

My Little Pony: It's good, but it's not THAT good.

Product Placement Anime: I'm looking at you, Beyblades!

Realistic Military FPSs: E.g. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, etc. I guess I'm just not into hyper-realism when it comes to shooters. I'm more of an arcade guy, which is why I don't mind Halo.

Real Time Strategy games: Just no. Doesn't interest me.

Apple: Steve Jobs =/= God. Apple products are deficient by design so that they can sell you the "new and improved" version six months later. Features are deliberately withheld so that they can be implemented in future releases and extend the product's shelf lifetime. From a business perspective it's ingenious. From a consumer perspective it's bulls***. It's like charging full price for an expansion pack, but Apple fanboys/girls eat it up for breakfast... because they're stupid like that.

... I'm sure I could write more, but that's enough b****ing for now icon_smile.gif

Edited by NoeL, 02 September 2011 - 05:44 AM.

#21 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

Drinking, just haven't found one I enjoy and don't like being drunk enough to drink stuff I hate.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Sep 2 2011, 02:17 AM) View Post

Real Time Strategy games: Just no. Doesn't interest me.

Hey man, we have like the same opinion. Cool beans.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Sep 2 2011, 02:17 AM) View Post
Poor orthography (yes, it's totally popular): Learn the difference between their, there, and they're, and between your and you're (it's and its is slightly more bearable). Use punctuation, and use it where appropriate. Make also ur grammar gud.

As a special case, I can't stand people that say "I could care less". The saying is "I couldn't care less", as in "my care for this subject is as low as it could possibly be, and couldn't be any lower". Saying "I could care less" implies some degree of care, since it's possible to care less than you currently do.
This whole point I agree with, I just wanted to point out that I always saw "I could care less" as a sarcastic statement, personally. icon_razz.gif

I have an okay-sized list for this, I guess, but not really one that I could delve deeply into. I can try though, so here we go.

MMOs: Woohoo, online games, let's all go join a guild and bash in some demon skulls while upgrading our skills and never getting dates! [/stereotype] But the serious reason is I never found them to be that interesting. Then again, I don't care much for online gaming in general. Fun to organize a game with a friend and you're not at his house, but that's about it. Never was in it for the "GAIN SKILLS AND EXP. AND DO s***" part of it. I'm still a guy that prefers the single-player main quest (though co-op games can be fun).

Anime: Exceptions: Gurren Lagann, Medabots, possibly the first three seasons of Digimon (if I ever rewatch them to make sure whether or not I do). But it's the animation style that usually sets me off, and, well, most of the shows are pretty bland in their delivery anyway. At least, to me that is. I'm trying to give it more shots but it just keeps ending in me getting bored and blowing it off.

Japanese politics: I'm kidding.

Call of Duty: It's pretty much the same game each time. Call of Duty 4 was an excellent game that deviated from the main path, but then they drove that into the ground pretty quickly as well. I mean it's not like this doesn't happen to every shooter, but it seems like it happens more to Call of Duty. And everybody's always gushing about the series when quite frankly, I'm just bored of it.

Sonic Colors: Yes, I gave this its own section. The Wii version specifically. Everyone keeps going all "OMFG SONIC FINALLY RECAPTURED THE SPIRIT OF THE OLD GAMES." No it didn't. As I said in a recent video I made, "It's like they gave Mario Sonic's powers and he didn't know what to do with them." It focused too much on platforming (bad platforming at that), and all the "speed" parts were pretty much "RUN IN A STRAIGHT LINE" or "DRIFT AROUND THIS CORNER" or "STEP LEFT AND RIGHT QUICKLY." The robot chase sections could be interesting but just didn't show up that well. And don't get me started on how horrid the Wisps were, or the writing. So yeah, this game is popular but shouldn't be cuz it sucks.

I think I have more, but I'll leave it at there for now.

#23 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Sep 2 2011, 02:59 AM) View Post

Sonic Colors: Yes, I gave this its own section. The Wii version specifically. Everyone keeps going all "OMFG SONIC FINALLY RECAPTURED THE SPIRIT OF THE OLD GAMES." No it didn't. As I said in a recent video I made, "It's like they gave Mario Sonic's powers and he didn't know what to do with them." It focused too much on platforming (bad platforming at that), and all the "speed" parts were pretty much "RUN IN A STRAIGHT LINE" or "DRIFT AROUND THIS CORNER" or "STEP LEFT AND RIGHT QUICKLY." The robot chase sections could be interesting but just didn't show up that well. And don't get me started on how horrid the Wisps were, or the writing. So yeah, this game is popular but shouldn't be cuz it sucks.

Whenever ANYONE shouts that a game has captured the spirit of the old game, I call bulls***. SEGA is both incapable of capturing that feel, and doesn't actually care. They claim they do, they even worked with Sonic Retro, the self proclaimed "Second Only To SEGA" website for all things Sonic to make Sonic 4, and they failed that too, even WITH fan guidance. SEGA simply doesn't care about it's fans anymore. Sonic is just about getting cheap money back for piss poor production.

You're hyped over Sonic Generations? After you get the game, you'll take a look at the Sonic Cycle and weep about another pot of lies that SEGA sold you. I guarantee it.

I'll come back with a more full list later.

#24 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE(NoeL)
Apple: Steve Jobs =/= God. Apple products are deficient by design so that they can sell you the "new and improved" version six months later. Features are deliberately withheld so that they can be implemented in future releases and extend the product's shelf lifetime. From a business perspective it's ingenious. From a consumer perspective it's bulls***. It's like charging full price for an expansion pack, but Apple fanboys/girls eat it up for breakfast... because they're stupid like that.

Aaaand Microsoft is just as bad. As is every mainstream PC manufacturer. I can't tell you how many times, when I used a *nix variant, someone would say the equivalent of "device N actually has the same abilities as device X, they just never provided software in N to enable it" or "device N could do the same thing as X, but they've placed a firmware/hardware block on it". That was one of the few good things that came out of my time in Lunix hell- often times the hardware on related models is the exact same, they just crippled it on the budget version. Of course, unless you were THERE during the fabrication, and THERE when they wrote the firmware, you wouldn't know.

For the record, the reason Steve-o has such a ridiculous rep is because he got Apple up off their bumbling asses and made them realize they were NOT going to out-pc the pc. Instead, he made them try a different strategy. Something no one else wanted to do at the time. They were all too busy sticking their heads up their asses. As far as "Apple Fanboys" go, let's just drop the "Apple" bit and agree all fanboys are afflicted with some anomalous prion, similar to that which causes Mad Cow.

#25 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:53 AM

Online leader boards: A fun idea ruined by hackers. I don't mind doing hacks
that expand what I can do in my personal file to give me more enjoyment (such as
getting Pokemon Pearl exclusives in my Diamond game without spending extra moolah)

But it is completely (insert strong negative here) when I look at a leaderboard and the top
ten people all beat Mega Man 9 in .0001 seconds.

EDIT: This started as a thread that was about you having different likes than large
groups of people. Times you didn't "fit in with the crowd", so to speak.

Somehow it has become a thread to speak about anything you dislike.
As long as it's interesting and respectful that's not so bad, but I think
we should be careful not to derail this thread any further.

Edited by Cukeman, 02 September 2011 - 03:00 AM.

#26 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:57 AM

Pickles: I don't know why everyone loves them or enjoys drinking pickle juice, but do it away from me. The stench infiltrates my nose and makes me gag. I've grown more resistant to it over the years, but it still is just plain putrid to me.

PC vs. Mac: It's the same as 360 vs. PS3 vs. PC gaming. Actually, it matters about as much as the NES vs. Sega Genesis debate would be today. No one really actually gives a crap what you're using, and if they do, they're too nosy. Unless it's like gaming and you're using dual joysticks to play a shooter. Then there's something wrong with you.

Poor Grammar: Now, I understand in the case of English not being a first language, but dang, if it is, you don't really have an excuse unless you have dyslexia, which then, I totally forgive you. icon_wink.gif

Male Dominance Issues: I have a friend whom I'm particularly annoyed with- frequently during D&D, he seems to have an inferiority complex with my other friends and has to be the center of attention and the funniest guy there. He likes to act like the tough guy and it honestly annoys the crud out of my friends and I. Seriously, modern macho-ism ticks me off. Life is not about who has the "biggest penis". (I think this one actually fits in with "not fitting in" strangely enough- a lot of guys nowadays seem to be so insecure about how manly they are.)

That's...mostly what I can think of right now. Maybe I'll have more later.

#27 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Sep 2 2011, 03:30 AM) View Post
But your original statement wasn't about the cartoons themselves but about the fact that adults watching them. Your thoughts on the matter were difficult to interpret because you seemed to be kind of conglomerating the arguments of "adults shouldn't enjoy kids cartoons" and "I don't enjoy kids cartoons", and in the end it didn't really come out to any proper statement.
I won't say what my opinion is on what others should be watching or not as that is none of my business. I simply stated I don't watch them. That was the point of this topic afterall, right? icon_razz.gif It's pretty much the same with anime, which I also listed. I don't see the point in watching them because I get nothing out of it. And yes, I do think that I am too old for them too, but I don't care if you like them.

I mean, it's not like I'm questioning your enjoyment of My Little Pony, though believe me I could if I wanted to. I just have no reason to tell you what you should or shouldn't watch icon_smile.gif

I'll jump on the Real time strategy games train as well. Too hard for me to wrap my head around perhaps.

Oh, and TS!
Call of Duty: It's pretty much the same game each time. Call of Duty 4 was an excellent game that deviated from the main path, but then they drove that into the ground pretty quickly as well. I mean it's not like this doesn't happen to every shooter, but it seems like it happens more to Call of Duty. And everybody's always gushing about the series when quite frankly, I'm just bored of it.
This is wrong o.O CoD is just more of the same, but there's no reason to say that all shooters will have as little innovation and originality just because they're making a sequel. Crysis 2 was a very different experience from Crysis 1 for example, yet it retained the basics (being the nanosuit and the powers that comes with).

Saying that is like saying that all RTS games are the same. icon_razz.gif Heck to be perfectly fair, the Zelda-series doesn't really have all that much innovation either and one could argue that CoD actually deviates more from its original path with stuff like the zombie-mode, moreso than any Zelda game has really done. In the end of the day, all you're doing in Zelda is completing dungeons to get items, and to be fair (again), that's because it's fun. We love that. CoD is the same, you and I just aren't the audience for the games (cause I too am not that much of a CoD-fan). I mean, Halo is much much much worse when it comes to that, and I know you like Halo icon_razz.gif

#28 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Sep 1 2011, 06:32 PM) View Post

Popular Music: You can name pretty much any band/singer that goes platinum and I don't
like them. Beatles? Nope. Britney Spears? Nope. Nirvana? Nope. Maria Carey? Nope. The list goes
on and on. What I do like however is independent music. I know of some small labels and local
bands that have a really great sound. And once in a long while I will enjoy something like
'Paint it Black' or 'Highway to Hell'. But Bjork is just annoying, and I hate, hate, HATE Sting.
His singing makes me nauseous, really.

Dancability plays large role in popular music. I used to be in your same boat, but now I regularly listen to lots of Kayne West and Bowie. Popular music also changes over the decades, it's really not a genre. My advice is just keep listening out there and you'll probably find some pop music you begrudgingly enjoy, and from there you'll realize maybe it's not all so bad.

I suppose for myself I don't really enjoy "clubbing". I get it, but it's not my scene. Give me a bunch of friends in a hot basement with speakers and then we'll have a dance party. Twilight is really popular too. No idea how to interpret that. Oh! And Tim Burtons Alice in Wonderland. How I have friends that say not only was it not a heaping pile of disgusting character abuse, but that they actually liked it. All my hate.

Being one sided is also really popular, and it bugs the hell outta me. Blanket statements that simplify one side of a coin as the ultimate evil while the other is the path to enlightenment. Apple vs. Microsoft, as has been brought up here is a perfect example. They're both companies that make computers, they both have problems. Neither is Jesus in corporate form. One of my best friends goes off on incredibly beautiful tangents about how Classicism destroyed the serenity of human nature, and every time I have to force him to eventually accept a more middle ground, which he'll inevitably retreat back from the following evening. Sigh.

Edited by Timothy McCorgi, 02 September 2011 - 06:31 AM.

#29 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Sep 2 2011, 02:32 AM) View Post

Popular Music: You can name pretty much any band/singer that goes platinum and I don't
like them. Beatles? Nope. Britney Spears? Nope. Nirvana? Nope. Maria Carey? Nope. The list goes
on and on. What I do like however is independent music. I know of some small labels and local
bands that have a really great sound. And once in a long while I will enjoy something like
'Paint it Black' or 'Highway to Hell'. But Bjork is just annoying, and I hate, hate, HATE Sting.
His singing makes me nauseous, really.

With all due respect, I think this is rather silly. To dislike something just because it's popular is on one level with being different for the hack of being different. Why don't just like what you like and dislike what you don't like regardless of it's popularity level and strings attached?

It's like with the emo fashion style. If something is "mainstream" there's no way the kids are going to wear it, because it's casual. I've been on that side for a while, by the way, all emo and shizz. I didn't even wear jogging pants at home, because it didn't suit my dresscode. I've left this behind a few years ago for the better. I still have some dark and "alternative" clothes among my stuff, but now I just buy what I think looks good and not what I think suits a certain "lifestyle"; because, in all honesty, I don't give a damn what it's associated with. (Though if I had to discribe my warbrode it'd be something between casual, alternative, surfer-ish and sometimes high street or classy when I feel like it.)

#30 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Touch-Control: It is not intuitive since you easily block your view of the screen. That brings you back to reality so it sucks.

Hollywood Movies/Action Blockbusters: I liked it when i was a kid. Now however they simply lack depth, also lack clichés, humor, atmosphere or anything that might be fun.

Almost any Music besides Marilyn Manson, Black Metal, Death Metal and Videogame Music: Most of it just does not tingle my head enough. Especially i despise Film-Music for being overly boring mindless and flashy(best example starwars music). Music from newer Games tends to suck also for the same reasons Film-Music sucks. However i have to admit i do enjoy some classic music, however mostly by Chopin.

Ego-shooters: I had fun with it there might be the rare nice one like Bioshock or Fallout. But else i am really starting to get pissed by this genre.

Smartphones: They are simply a chore to control, in my opinion useless and just a waste of money. Haptic Feedback is something they sorely miss.

Facebook: I hate you facebook, you turned the internet less anonymous. Give me back my anonymity!

Copyright: For destroying the internet. Youtube is nearly unusable since every second video is blocked(even vlogs). Also it makes development of new things harder slows lots of things down(example a certain new movie did not get released on dvd yet because the moviemakers were sued by a tattoo artist for using one of the guy's tattoos in their movie).

Patents: If someone like Microsoft is able to patent something like the double-click. Then i think pythagoraz should have been able to patent his theorem at the very least in carthesian coordinates xy. People could still use it in polar coordinates or any other complicated useless coordinate system like for example cubic coordinates or any kind of non-euclidean coordinate system. Also if i look how people in physics make progress with nice experiments even write in the papers they publish what their results can be used for and some asshole-engineer uses it and patents it instead leaving it open-source for anybody as it should be it nearly makes me vomit. But yes surely the big companies invest millions in product development(by stealing ideas of physicists and turning it into money that is). I also do not get how a mathematical theorem cannot be patented while a programming algorithm that shares mathematical structure and in essential also is only a mathematical theorem can be patented. This makes no f***ing sense.

Vinegar: How can someone eat that stuff or anything that has that as content? It smells like vomit or something rotten. I would never under any circumstances consume any product that includes vinegar. Such products are mayonaise, ketchup, pickels and many more things.

Edited by aaa2, 02 September 2011 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users