ZeldaClassic: How popular is it?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#31 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

He's referring to NewJourneysFire's quest, Souls of Wisdom 2.

#32 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

I really wonder why so many people think that could be code from the original zelda 1 in zelda classic.First of all i doubt anybody would have the source of zelda 1 so how could it have code from it. And even if somebody had the source chances are it was probably written in assembly which pretty much sucks and is very machine specific. So why would anybody reuse that. And as a last point what the hell would you need allegro for if you were using some code you disassembled from a rom file? I would be pretty surprised if zelda classic used any code that even remotely resembles the code of zelda 1.

Edited by aaa2, 02 March 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#33 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Mar 2 2013, 08:09 PM) View Post

I really wonder why so many people think that could be code from the original zelda 1 in zelda classic.First of all i doubt anybody would have the source of zelda 1 so how could it have code from it. And even if somebody had the source changes are it was probably written in assembly which pretty much sucks and is very machine specific. So why would anybody reuse that. And as a last point what the hell would you need allegro for if you were using some code you disassembled from a rom file? I would be pretty surprised if zelda classic used any code that even remotely resembles the code of zelda 1.

You're awesome, man icon_smile.gif.

#34 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Feb 26 2013, 06:45 PM) View Post

I really wish ZC was more well known. I don't really see much of a point in putting so much effort into a fan made game that probably won't be played by more than 50-to-100 people. This is why I'm on a huge ZC hiatus. I feel is if no one appreciates the effort I'm putting into my quest for the community to enjoy.

I'm probably just over thinking this, but this idea really gets to my head, and ruins any inspiration I have with making a Zelda fan game.

I admit thinking this way too just a while ago. When ZC 2.5 was finally released, I was so excited, but then I looked at both the AGN (pretty much dead these days) and PureZC forums and realized that there's almost no one remaining to play and build ZC quests... So my excitement quickly fade away and I asked myself "why bother pouring all that work for a game no one will play?".

Well, a month passed and I kept realizing how awesome this new ZC 2.5 was and quest ideas just kept popping into my head. Also, Lost Isle's newly regained popularity helped me to get motivated and inspired again. I said to myself "ZC's popularity may be in its all time low but I will try to do something about it and contribute with my work!". I do believe ZC can be popular again. I don't want it to be RPG maker popular, but I'd like to see it return to the golden days of ZC 1.92 when some great quest makers were pouring out quests almost every week. I'm happy to find out Shoelace is back making quests. I'm sure his new quest will attract a lot of people back to ZC. Also, NewJourneysFire's SOW2 seems like a very promising quest and that will bring tons of new players as well. And of course my goal is to expand the potential ZCers even more with Lost Isle 2.

We have a great, friendly and helpful community here and I'm not worried about ZC's future. icon_smile.gif
Also, this stuff about Nintendo and copyrights, ha! They would have acted a long time ago if they cared. ZC is only a good thing for Nintendo as our fan made games keep people interested in Zelda.

Edited by Peteo, 03 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#35 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Feb 26 2013, 11:45 AM) View Post

I don't really see much of a point in putting so much effort into a fan made game that probably won't be played by more than 50-to-100 people.

Just remember why you started using ZC. I'm willing to bet you didn't give a crap about recognition and just wanted to be able to make a zelda game. If you treat ZC like a get rich quick scheme you're going to be sorely disappointed. icon_razz.gif

#36 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

We put effort into things we enjoy doing. What matters most is that you enjoy the process of making something, otherwise it won't get finished. If you can get one person to enjoy your work, then you have accomplished something regarding other people. If you don't enjoy making it and you're only there for other people, then you might as well quit doing what you are doing, or at least change it in ways that you find more enjoyable to make.

As for ZC popularity, it has to come from somewhere, right? It doesn't just come out of thin air. If you see yourself as being a part of making it popular and you are concerned over it, then you wouldn't let less popularity stop you from enjoying something, but rather see it as a motivation to help bring more life back to it. And even if you fail at your efforts, what you have done at best can be treated as an experience.

#37 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Not long ago, I have started a small community of ZC in my web of The Legend of Zelda in Spanish. I provide support and guidance on my favorite quests. I have high hopes of extending the use of ZC between Spanish and Latin public.

#38 Hoff123

Hoff123

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm new to ZC. I am learning it and will soon start making my first real quest icon_smile.gif.

#39 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Feb 26 2013, 10:45 AM) View Post
I really wish ZC was more well known. I don't really see much of a point in putting so much effort into a fan made game that probably won't be played by more than 50-to-100 people. This is why I'm on a huge ZC hiatus. I feel is if no one appreciates the effort I'm putting into my quest for the community to enjoy.

I'm probably just over thinking this, but this idea really gets to my head, and ruins any inspiration I have with making a Zelda fan game.

Who even cares how many people end up playing your quest? If one person ends up playing and enjoying my work, that's a huge bonus and makes me feel really proud of myself. 50 would fill me with enormous glee! Basically, make art for art's sake -- don't make it for other people.

#40 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

As a huge fan of the Zelda series and rom hacks, I only discovered Zelda Classic within the past year. I have no idea why this program seems so invisible when there's so many high quality quests produced. I had looked for Zelda fan games before, only to stumble across a few rom hacks of the original Zelda and Link to the Past, and to be left wanting more. Zelda Classic is a fantastic program dedicated to one of the most popular game franchises, and I just don't understand why it's not more popular.

#41 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well, seeing how Mases, one of the webmasters of Zelda Dungeon (arguably the biggest Zelda fansite) is doing an LP of Lost Isle, I'd expect we're going to be getting a surge in popularity. Then again, maybe not.

It does kinda seem weird that it's so unpopular though. Heck, I found out about it cuz, after getting stuck while playing a ROM of the original Zelda, I went to GameFAQs and the random FAQ I opened happened to mention Zelda Classic in the context of "Oh if you don't have any way to play this game, there's a tool called Zelda Classic that lets you play it and I think it has an editor too or something."

#42 Hoff123

Hoff123

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Well, I found out about it because I really wanted too see what kind of (Zelda)fan games people had made, and then I somehow found this icon_smile.gif.

Edited by Hoff123, 07 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#43 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Mar 7 2013, 08:29 PM) View Post

Well, seeing how Mases, one of the webmasters of Zelda Dungeon (arguably the biggest Zelda fansite) is doing an LP of Lost Isle, I'd expect we're going to be getting a surge in popularity. Then again, maybe not.

It does kinda seem weird that it's so unpopular though. Heck, I found out about it cuz, after getting stuck while playing a ROM of the original Zelda, I went to GameFAQs and the random FAQ I opened happened to mention Zelda Classic in the context of "Oh if you don't have any way to play this game, there's a tool called Zelda Classic that lets you play it and I think it has an editor too or something."

Lol, thats sad, why does nobody but just a few people see the potential of this wonderful 2D zelda game making tool?
I clearly remember, I found out about this after intevise searching for a zelda editor icon_biggrin.gif
So happy I found it! Want to make a new adventure right now.

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

For what it's worth, I don't even remember how I discovered Zelda Classic. Nor do I know why it isn't easier to find. It's a simple enough program, especially compared to, well, pretty much any game maker out there, and with the features you can learn and community you can get aid from, it really should be easier to find. People are finding it, though, which is good, and yes, the Zelda Dungeon LP should certainly help.

#45 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Mar 7 2013, 04:09 PM) View Post

For what it's worth, I don't even remember how I discovered Zelda Classic. Nor do I know why it isn't easier to find. It's a simple enough program, especially compared to, well, pretty much any game maker out there, and with the features you can learn and community you can get aid from, it really should be easier to find. People are finding it, though, which is good, and yes, the Zelda Dungeon LP should certainly help.

I don't think it's actually easier in some regards though. For example, spritework. You're only limited to 16 color palettes, whereas any other game development tool out there doesn't have such a cap. Some could claim it should be for the better, because it forces people to use a limited number of colors and get the best out of what they have, but there are plenty of people who don't like being constricted like that. In addition, ZC has a bunch of other things that you either have to do a ridiculous work around for something that should be super simple, such as a player-following camera, or just can't do at all. People like freedom, and ZC doesn't have as much of that as the other tools, which is probably why it's off of the radar.

Edited by Koh, 07 March 2013 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users