NJF's Special Series 03: Holiday Season 2014

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hey, what about Special Series 01 and 02?

NJF's Special Series 03: Holiday Season 2014

Santa_2preview_zpsb89fe2ee.jpg

(Image found online somewhere)

Overview

I've recently asked LinkTheMaster to lock my other topic NJF's Unscheduled Random Streams because I wanted to improve the quality of how my streams and lps are presented. I also did not want to clutter the LP forums with NJF topics. Makes sense, right? So here's a brand new NJF topic for the LP forums! 

In response to Nick's topic The State of the Let's Play Forum I've decided to share my LPs on a slightly more professional matter. Even though I was initially against the idea of making it an LPer's responsibility to do these things since it's already enough work to produce and upload the videos. I have since embraced the idea more. Because honestly, what's wrong with making things just a little more attractive?

So I decided to create Special Series forum topics to garner people's interest towards specific things while still keeping the topic NJF's LPs and Streams to house my entire collection of LPs.

All the Special Series will be specific towards particular themes or quests. The first two Special Series I've done were the Halloween 2014 Series and the Fall 2014 PureZC Expo Series. I will also create a Special Series for specific quests depending on their popularity, quality, and length. I feel Isle of Rebirth will be featured very soon as I've been streaming this game for several months now. 

Games I choose to play will have a small background story to why I chose them, and the videos I share here will not be just a link to the video just dropped into the forums, but a little bit of a presentation for each video. I hope this is a trend that I am sure others will follow.

So now that I've explained the purpose of these Special Series, how about I get into the details of what this specific series will be about.

The Holiday Season 2014 special series will include various games from my childhood that I remember hyping for like crazy. These were the games that I knew I would be getting for Christmas because I wanted them so bad. Other games will include games that I just have fond memories for during this time of the year, but have no direct relationship to Christmas itself. These include games I probably just stumbled across, but everything about them just reminds me of this time of the year.

I may also just play and even revisit some random holiday related games or quests just for fun. 

I will be streaming as much as I can for the month of December, and try to cover as much of these games as possible by the time Christmas rolls around. This special series will be concluded on either Christmas Day or Boxing Day. Even though the series will conclude around that time, I'll still be uploading videos which I predict will extend into the end of December or even further.

I may appear on cam a few times, but not all the time, so don't expect it. 

So I hope you guys enjoy what I have to offer. 

Stream Times and Channel:

There are no stream times or schedules. I stream randomly, so I'd suggest keeping an eye out for my posts. I will announce a stream usually a few minutes before I start. So I'm more of a drop in and watch kinda stream than a scheduled stream like Jubbz or Eppy. You drop in and watch my streams at http://www.twitch.tv/newjourneysfire

If by chance you miss a stream. It will be recorded, uploaded to youtube, and shared here. 

Content:

I want to leave the content of my streams a surprise. Instead of writing a big list of games I plan to play, I'll announce them when I decide to play them. Then you can decide to tune into the particular stream or not. 

You can find the entire collection uploaded here on youtube. This list will grow as time progresses and more content gets uploaded.

Rules:

I suggest just sticking to the same rules as applied to here on PureZC.net but unfortunately not everybody who watches my streams are from PureZC. Chances are, they are unaware of the rules. So please don't call them out if they break a rule. I'll just politely explain to them after the stream of something they may have said or done that was inappropriate. But if you are watching my stream from this site, I suggest showing the same appropriate behavior on my stream as you would normally show here in PureZC. Sounds reasonable, right? It saves me the time from writing my own rules. 

Special Thanks:

Special Thanks to all the people who watch my streams and enjoy my content. Also to the creators and producers of the games I'll be playing and the software tools I'll be using.

----------

So lets start off this series with the 1st game I'll be playing.

Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

zelda2_logo.gif

This is the first game I'll be playing. It is the 2nd game in The Legend of Zelda franchise. A departure of the first game when it comes to gameplay, it takes on a more side-scrolling approach featured in games like Mario, Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden. It also boasts a level up system that was popular in games like Final Fantasy during the time. Although the game is a side scrolling game, it's non-linear design was something unmatched in it's time for any game of it's kind which I believe makes this game a revolutionary experience. Boasting an experience point system so polished, that it's formula still exists today in games like Dark Souls. This game surely was one of a kind.

Why I chose this game:

Zelda 2: Adventures of Link was not a hyped Christmas gift for me by any means. I wasn't even interested in Zelda until A Link to the Past. But it was around this time of year when I finally decided to play this game. Despite the controversy and oddities in this game compared to all the other games in the series, this one turned out to be one of my favorites in the series, and my favorite NES Zelda game. 

Stream and LP Details:

I will be announcing my streams randomly. This game should be finished in around 2 or 3 stream sessions since I am prone to stream for hours. I suspect the game will take me several hours to beat, so the LPs will be uploaded to my youtube channel broken down to around 20 min each, which I think is fair for the length of this game. I will provide details such as stream highlights and other things as I share my videos on here. I'll admit that I've already completed half of the game, so I am hoping to complete this game during my next streaming session. 

----------

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (01 - Parapa Palace) 

(Duration 19:19)

Description:

This 20 min video features my journey through the first palace of the game. Parapa Palace serves as the intro of this game, and due to the challenge that the Iron Knuckles provides, this palace also serves as the place where a lot of gamers chose to discredit this game as a worthy Zelda successor.

Special thanks to oldschoolgamerjim for joining in the chatroom.

Stream Highlights:

• NJF explains the general concepts and mechanics of the game.
  • NJF defeats the boss Horsehead and Completes the 1st Palace of the Game.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:53 AM.

• Kite, DCEnygma, Shane and 2 others like this

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Nice choice. I've recently replayed Zelda 2 for the first time in several years. I found that the Death Mountain area is not anywhere as difficult as its reputation suggests... but the path to the Great Palace and the Great Palace itself: gulp.

• strike and TheLegend_njf like this

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (02 - Midoro Palace part 1)

(Duration 21:43)

Description:

I explore the towns of Ruto and Saria before I reach my next destination, Midoro Palace. This palace serves as the 2nd palace of the game. 

Highlights:

• Pulls off some fancy Goriya boomerang dodging.
  • Reaches Level 4 in Health.
  • Enters Midoro Palace.

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (03 - Midoro Palace part 2)

(Duration 20:21)

Description:

Journeys deeper into the Palace of Midoro Swamp but defeated by the Palace's Boss Helmethead. 

Highlights:

• Struggles with a few Red Iron Knuckles.
  • Obtains Power Glove thingy.
  • Struggles to keep experience points on very low health.
  • Suffers Defeat at the hands of the boss Helmethead.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

This all sounds great, NJF! Looking forward to joining some of these streams. You'll announce these streams in your main LP thread, right?

As for Z2, I got to admit I've never really looked into the game much because I had a bad first impression on it :(. Though, it looks like it's actually really interesting.

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

This all sounds great, NJF! Looking forward to joining some of these streams. You'll announce these streams in your main LP thread, right?

As for Z2, I got to admit I've never really looked into the game much because I had a bad first impression on it :(. Though, it looks like it's actually really interesting.

Then I suggest watching this video series. :D Perhaps develop a new impression. 

• Avaro likes this

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (04 - Death Mountain)

(Duration 24:58)

Description:

Exploring the highly confusing Death Mountain. 

Special thanks to oldschoolgamerjim and Lejes for joining the stream chat.

Special thanks to Bagu for letting me cross the bridge.

Highlights:

• I know Bagu, so I guess I can cross.
  • Managed to get through Death Mountain without getting lost.
  • Got all abilities on Lvl 4. 
  • Got the Hammer.
  • Reached Mido Town and learned the Down-thrust technique.

----------

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (05 - Midoro Palace part 3)

(Duration 17:12)

Description:

Revenge against Helmethead, the boss of Midoro Palace. 

Special thanks to Lejes and oldschoolgamerjim for joining the stream chat. 

Highlights:

• Defeated Helmethead and completed Midoro Palace. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (06: Island Palace part 1)

(Duration 27:25)

Description:

I think they should have called this place Ruby Palace. 

Special Thanks to Lejes and oldschoolgamerjim for attending stream chat. 

Highlights:

• Learned Fairy Spell in Mido.
  • Defeated by weird looking fireball shooting heads. 
  • Obtained Raft.
  • "Oh Fuck! He jumped!"
  • Defeated by Rebonack, boss of the Island Palace.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

Going to continue streaming Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link now in just a few minutes. 

http://www.twitch.tv/newjourneysfire

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (07 - Island Palace part 2)

(Duration 23:31)

Description

Learned the Fire Spell and farmed a few experience points so I can level up an ability. Took revenge on Rebonack

Special Thanks to Lejes for joining the stream chat. 

Highlights:

• Learned Fire Spell.
  • Defeated Rebonack and completed the Island Palace.

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (08 - The 2nd Continent)

(Duration 17:51)

Description:

Reaching the 2nd Continent.

Highlights:

• Learned the Up-Thrust technique.
  • Discovered the village of Darunia. 
  • Saved an Elderly woman's toddler on maze Island.
  • Learned the Reflect Spell.
  • Discovered Maze Island Palace. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (09 - Maze Island Palace)

(Duration 19:51)

Description:

Quickly plows through Maze Island Palace. 

Special thanks to Lejes and oldschoolgamerjim for joining the chat stream. 

Highlights:

• Obtain boots that can somehow make me walk on the Seas!!
  • Grumped by infinite spawning fireball spitting wolf head creatures who are from the edge of the screen.
  • Grumped by infinite spawning wavy moving dragon head creatures who are also from the edge of the screen.
  • Defeated Carock... Hahaha... Hahahahaha!!!! As if anybody couldn't.
  • Completed Maze Island Palace. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#11 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:16 AM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (10 - Ocean Palace part 1)

(Duration 27:11)

Description:

Defeated by Gooma and ended it for the night. Stream continues to the next day where I attempted the Ocean Palace again.

Highlights:

• Defeated by Gooma.
  • Man, that glowing skull couldn't kill me even if he wanted to! (20:30)
  • Obtained the flute, or whistle, or toy rocket, or whatever you call it.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (11 - Ocean Palace part 2)

(Duration 21:49)

Description:

Farmed a few experience points to level up my health to lvl 8. Wise choice, since the only alternative would be to risk my only life and lose all the experience points I already had. lol

Special thanks to Lejes and Jamian for joining the stream chat. 

Highlights:

• "Your mother!" (2:47)
  • Reaches lvl 8 in health.
  • Got grumped at 11:50. Such grumping eventually lead me to commit suicide a minute or two later.
  • Got grumped again by the same enemy at 16:50.
  • Defeated Gooma and completed the Ocean Palace.

------

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (12 - Finding the Hidden Palace)

(Duration 17:28)

Description:

Video begins with me immediately ambushed by a bunch of Lizalfos.

Highlights:

• Ambush at Lizard Alley (00:35)
  • Still grumped in Lizard Alley (1:40)
  • Frustrating time finding New Kasuto.
  • Finding the Hidden Palace.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (13 - Hidden Palace part 1)

(Duration 22:35)

Description:

Surviving the 6th palace while trying to hold on to my precious experience points. Being very cautious about progressing too far until I am able to level up once more. Defeated Rebonack again, the horse riding blue Iron Knuckle.

Highlights:

• Fell down the invisible pit. Old school games, eh?
  • Oh... Hello Rebonack! You're here too?
  • Overwhelmed by Wizzrobes and Stalfos.
  • Killed by that blue guy again.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#14 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (14 - Hidden Palace part 2 and The Valley of Death)

(Duration 21:13)

Description:

Defeats Barba/Volvagia, Completes the Hidden Palace, and dives right into the Valley of Death. 

Highlights:

• Fights and defeats Rebonack again!!! This guy is relentless. Why is this the only boss who can't accept defeat?
  • Defeats Barba/Volvagia and completes the Hidden Palace.
  • Maxed out all my levels. 
  • Quickly plows through The Valley of Death.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#15 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

NJF Plays Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (15 - The Great Palace)

(Duration 27:01)

Description:

The final video of this series. I enter the Great Palace, survive the birdmen, defeat the Thunderbird and Dark Link and completing the game. 

Highlights:

• Defeated already by the first bird knight of the palace at 2:40.
  • Ran away from bird knights. 
  • Tough time defeating the Thunderbird, but managed to barely beat it on the 2nd try.
  • Nearly beat Dark Link the legit way. But resorted to the left wall trick to deliver the final blow.
  • Defeated Dark Link and beat the game. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 December 2014 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users