281 replies to this topic

#271 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Nov 14 2011, 03:49 PM) View Post

Does the story matter that much?

Well ask yourself this. Without a story, would SA2 have been near as awesome? Just throwing you through random disconnected levels, with no sense of plot? No, not at all.

I prefer my Genesis games with the old fashioned "Go kick his ass, Sonic" tendencies.

And that's the problem. The story doesn't even present itself as that. There's not even an overarching goal as symbol as "Go beat Robotnik". You're just wondering what's going on as you play through strings of random levels.

#272 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

I like classic Sonic's visual design a lot more than modern Sonic, but Generations did NOT make classic Sonic look good.
Generations made him soft round and pudgy icon_frown.gif .

THIS is classic Sonic:
IPB Image

It's like they had to de-make him to make modern Sonic look good in comparison icon_razz.gif

Edited by Cukeman, 14 November 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#273 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Never played SA2, so I don't really know. icon_shrug.gif What I can say is that there never was a problem with having no story.

#274 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Nov 14 2011, 07:01 PM) View Post
What I can say is that there never was a problem with having no story.
This. This is why that, despite giving the story a 4, the game still gets a 9 from me. I mean, looking at this point:
QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 14 2011, 06:57 PM) View Post
There's not even an overarching goal as symbol as "Go beat Robotnik". You're just wondering what's going on as you play through strings of random levels.
It was pretty clear, actually. Ya know, from all the robots. And the manual. And hey, there was no goal like that in the original Mario games either. And those are still fantastic. So... ... what was your point again?

#275 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Nov 14 2011, 04:01 PM) View Post

THIS is classic Sonic:

Wrong:
IPB Image

*runs*

Never played SA2, so I don't really know.

Go play it. Now. Your life is not complete until you do.

It was pretty clear, actually. Ya know, from all the robots. And the manual. And hey, there was no goal like that in the original Mario games either. And those are still fantastic. So... ... what was your point again?

That comment was about Generations, not Sonic 1. icon_razz.gif

#276 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 14 2011, 07:11 PM) View Post
That comment was about Generations, not Sonic 1. icon_razz.gif
Oh. Well then you're still wrong. The goal is "figure out what's going on," and things get revealed as it goes. It's incredibly minimal, sure, but it's there, whether you want to see it or not.
QUOTE(Cukeman @ Nov 14 2011, 07:01 PM) View Post
I like classic Sonic's visual design a lot more than modern Sonic, but Generations did NOT make classic Sonic look good.
Generations made him soft round and pudgy icon_frown.gif .

THIS is classic Sonic:
IPB Image

It's like they had to de-make him to make modern Sonic look good in comparison icon_razz.gif
Eh, I thought he looked cool in Generations. Classic Tails was cute though. <3

#277 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Yeah In my own opinion "Classic Sonic" looked great, To me he looked like what I imagined he'd look like in 3d graphics, And I agree with TS "Classic Tails" is Cute!!

#278 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 14 2011, 07:11 PM) View Post

Go play it. Now. Your life is not complete until you do.

You feel like paying for it, then? I bought Sonic Generations the other day (which I still need to buy a graphics card for at any rate) and don't feel like spending any money, brah.

#279 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Nov 14 2011, 04:19 PM) View Post

You feel like paying for it, then? I bought Sonic Generations the other day (which I still need to buy a graphics card for at any rate) and don't feel like spending any money, brah.

Sure. Give me your address and I'll buy it online from Gamestop and have them ship it to you, just so long as you promise to play it.

#280 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Oh yeah!, The replay factor is kicking in now! I'm starting the game over now, I have to say this has kept me entertained for the past two weeks icon_biggrin.gif

#281 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

So. A level list has been released for Generations 3DS. Don't know why I'm spoiler-tagging this but here:
Spoiler
As well as bosses:
Spoiler
This guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/Thigolf <-- has somehow gotten the game early and is uploading gameplay videos of a lot of it, and more as we speak. I watched all of them, and for the most part, the game seems to be half good, half bad. Although the final boss looks much much much better on 3DS than on the console. But... some other facets worry me. So... I think I'm keeping this to the "ask for Christmas, don't spend own money on" category.

#282 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Updating, since I indeed got this for Christmas and already beat it (there was a long stretch where not much happened today plus I got three other games anyway that'll occupy my time). Also it was a short game to begin with.

My initial reaction was right: It was about half good, half bad. Every single Modern Sonic level had fun moments, but plenty of frustration. Well, frustration from various factors; either too simple level design or stupidly-placed objects or cheap layouts. Most of the Classic Sonic levels (most) are okay, but the feeling of Classic Sonic evaporated immediately upon him learning homing attack after the first three stages and bosses. It... was a stupid choice, but then again, it's Dimps. It would be fine but the level design even in the Classic Sonic levels later on forces you to use the homing attack to get through. So it sucks even more; what was the point of being Classic Sonic if he has moves exclusive to Modern Sonic?

Regardless, the boss fights for the most part were pretty fun, but there's only four; the rival races are incredibly stupid and feel like a waste of time, especially since they're required to beat before you can fight a real boss. The story is even lamer than the console, and the cutscenes are terrible, considering what the 3DS can do. I admit some parts (the story) felt rushed about the console version, but this title felt even more rushed. And no, those weren't Rush puns, but speaking of, at least this game's better than Rush. Advance is a better title though, I feel. So yeah, I wouldn't buy this game until it dropped in price. But at least the final boss was way more interesting than in the console.

Haven't tried missions or online mode yet, though. I will at some point. Probably soon, but I got other and better games to play as well. icon_deformed.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users