Photo

Palletes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Palletes

Palletes

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:00 PM

Which is the best paletes color?Bright or dark? I've been having an hard time trying to figure it out......

#2 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:08 PM

It really depends on the tiles, I huess. A mix of light and dark is usually the best choice. You can always adjust if you need to.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:40 AM

...Lest we not get definitions mixed up, I wanted to point out that there is a difference between light/dark and bright/dull.

Here's an example:

If olive green is dull, then lime green is bright.

If sky blue is light, then midnight blue is dark.

In RGB terms, bright colors have a LOT of one or two of the three primary colors. Example: color value 63/63/0 is very bright. Another word similar to brightness is "contrast."

Light colors have a high total when you add all three of the RGB color values together. Therefore, brighter colors are often lighter as well, but not always. Example: 63/53/43 is a light color.

So... are you asking about light vs. dark, or bright versus dull? Personally, I think most palettes out there are too bright. They have too many eye-burning hues of red, blue, green, and purple. Lightness, on the other hand, doesn't matter quite as much. The human eye can adjust to lightness more easily.

#4 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

I voted Dark, because bright can hurt. Dark is easier on the eyes, but it maybe harder to make things out.

#5 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

What no Medium? (or somthing like that icon_razz.gif) I would have to choose Bright because it is closest to Medium. (or somthing like that icon_razz.gif)

#6 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

True, is the desentdant Tileset MEDIUM or the mystic land?

#7 ElricAlchemy101

ElricAlchemy101

Junior

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

To me, I think the descendant set is pretty medium, it's a very good set. As for ML, I'd have to say that's on the light/bright side, it kind of hurts my eyes... But it's well done also.

#8 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the help. icon_biggrin.gif

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:40 PM

Some inner part of me says that the Descendant set is somewhere between a "Dull Medium" and a "Irksomely bright Dark." The Original ML set is virtually the perfect "Medium." The Pure Set's primary overworld (Just hit "0" in ZQuest.) is slightly brighter than the perfect medium.

I personally prefer to make the palletes slightly dark. It gives me the right mood I like to work with when I design my worlds.

#10 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

Yea Pure is WAY to bright. Mystic land palletes is okay.So is Desentdant. I'm just not sure what to use icon_wacky.gif

Edited by cool mike, 12 January 2005 - 09:48 PM.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:31 AM

If you think Pure is bright, go check out Praethus' new quest's palette. It's pretty good considering it's so bright, but I still think it's going quite overboard. The mountains and ground are a more neutral shade, though.

#12 Foxx

Foxx

Initiate

• Members

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

I prefer the dark. A lot of bright palettes out there that burn the eyes. Still, it's possible to go overboard in that direction too, since you still need to see the stuff. I had some problems playing Diablo in the late afternoon because the sunlight glared on my monitor.

#13 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 12 2005, 09:31 PM)
If you think Pure is bright, go check out Praethus' new quest's palette.  It's pretty good considering it's so bright, but I still think it's going quite overboard. The mountains and ground are a more neutral shade, though.

Yeah your right. Parethus' palletes are bright also. Pure1 OW palletes looks too fake. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users