Photo

What would you like to see in a enhanced classic tileset?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Okay, so I am making a enhanced classic tileset, and so far I have added dirt paths, stone paths, bushes, signs, houses, outside and inside.

Anything else you'd like to see?

#2 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

A larger variety of trees. icon_eek.gif

The biggest problem with the classic set is the lack of tree variety. And I'm not talking about the clashing tree tiles that come with the set. Some one needs to make some good tree tiles. Tall trees, skinny trees, different colored trees, big trees, small skinny trees, twisted trees, trees that climb on rocks. A quest created should be able to make a decent, realistic forest screen in classic. I say take inspiration from trees drawn by Bill Waterson and pictures of actual woods. Go for it!

-Strike

#3 -DuCkTApE-

-DuCkTApE-

The "Mask" will take over...

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Oracle style dungeon tiles, a lot of palettes, NPCS

#4 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind. icon_smile.gif

In addition to that, I'll be revamping all the existing tiles as well. icon_smile.gif

#5 WoooBlaaa

WoooBlaaa

Initiate

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

This might be too detailed and too different from the classic set, but I'd like some classic style castle walls/roofs/interiors. Also, classic style ship tiles, so I can make a big ship 2-3 or 3-5 screens big. Oh, and fenceposts and tents. OK, being a bit excessive I know. sorry lol.

#6 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

That's okay, any suggestions are welcome, but some things will not be put in the tileset, due to limitations. icon_sorry.gif

#7 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

New dungeon tiles and new palettes icon_smile.gif

#8 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

I think the most glaring issue with Classic is the clunkiness of the dungeon walls (not the Outlands set! icon_xd.gif). They are very difficult to use correctly in freeform dungeons because they were solely designed with square rooms in mind. Create a substitute for them and Classic will become even more versatile.

#9 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Why are you enhancing all the old tiles?!?!! There have been plenty of attempts at that goal all of which end up ruining the feel of the classic tile set all together. In my humble opinion what classic really needs is a larger variety of tiles- not a total revamp.

Sorry I'm so opinionated about this, but as someone who has used classic for years, I don't see any reason to make a revamp of the set. They ruin the feel. If you want a better tile set use GB.

-Strike

#10 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Well, the whole point of my project is to revamp classic so it will come closer to todays tileset standards; Not only will I be revamping the old tiles, but I will also be adding a new variety of tiles as well. icon_smile.gif

While this may ruin the classic feel, that's a bit of what I'm trying to do. Keep some of the old, nostalgic classic feel while also creating a whole new feel and experience. icon_smile.gif

Feel free not to use it if you feel that way, but maybe you'd wanna give it a chance first. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Dragonite, 02 December 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

What would I like to see? I dunno. But here's what I would like not to see. Horrible style clash. The classic tileset has its own really weird graphical style, with its perspective and its lack of outlines and stuff. Most people don't seem to recognize that.

#12 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I know what you mean; I've been trying my best to prevent bad style clash as much as I can. icon_smile.gif

In addition, I will probably be adding different Link tiles, and some new OW palettes especially.

#13 DaDoc540

DaDoc540

formerly boram_c

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I have been making my version of a classic tileset, which is currently featured in First Quest Layered. So far, my tileset includes grassy plains, rocky ground, transitions between terrain, palm trees, cacti, ice, lava, and lower dungeon tiles.

I will be interested in what the finished product looks like.

#14 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'd like to see some different mountains for the classic set. Like how PTUX does, it would be nice to have the option of several different kinds to choose between.

#15 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well, the whole point of my project is to revamp classic so it will come closer to todays tileset standards; Not only will I be revamping the old tiles, but I will also be adding a new variety of tiles as well.

While this may ruin the classic feel, that's a bit of what I'm trying to do. Keep some of the old, nostalgic classic feel while also creating a whole new feel and experience.

Feel free not to use it if you feel that way, but maybe you'd wanna give it a chance first.

Oh, O.K. icon_smile.gif

How modern are you making it?

I have been making my version of a classic tileset, which is currently featured in First Quest Layered. So far, my tileset includes grassy plains, rocky ground, transitions between terrain, palm trees, cacti, ice, lava, and lower dungeon tiles.

I will be interested in what the finished product looks like.

I'm a big fan of you're style. icon_wink.gif

-Strike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users