DoR tileset update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

Awhile ago, I updated DoR's tiles to do away with the ugly plain-green grass from Link to the Past, and replaced it with a hybridized version of SD3 grass. I also updated some other tiles in the process. Here's an example for comparison:

IPB Image IPB Image

I hope you'll agree that the improvements were pretty substantial. Not all of the tile updates are present in the later shot, but the most important ones are -- the grass updates, which are SO much better than they used to be. These days, whenever I see someone working with DoR's old grass, it puts a bad taste in my mouth. It's a real spoiler for a tileset that might potentially look pretty good. icon_razz.gif

I would like to import all of it into the existing public tileset, but unfortunately, I don't have the time. Or the motivation, for that matter, because I've spent too much time on tilesets as it is.

One quick-and-dirty solution might be to take snapshots of every page of new graphics updates that I would like to make available to people, and submit it in a large Loose Tiles bundle. I don't really like that option, though. I'd rather it all be ripped into the public tileset so it can be uploaded to the tileset database as an official update.

Is there anyone who would be willing to help out with the ripping? Hopefully someone who is using the DoR set and could make use of the update for their own quest. Your reward would be the use of any of the tiles I send you... but I'd like to ask that you make most of them available to the other users of the tileset, too. icon_wink.gif

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

Actually I could do it... I have the time... ANd I'm not finished even thinking out a story for my Elder Scrolls quest... And I could be using the DoR set like I did for the DEMO in th expo... So yeah, I would do it, Just send me the stuff in a PM.
EDIT: Actually, I would LOVE to do it! icon_smile.gif

Edited by Migokalle, 21 May 2007 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

I have time to do it, send send the the word/file and I'll post them here. BTW, there is another way to do it. Maybe if you just upload the .qst file with all the maps and dmaps deleted would be much quicker.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

Pick me! Pick me! I so whanna do this!

#5 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

I like that new stuff Radien. It all looks alot more bushy and realisitic. You should try to do new treetops for the lttp trees too.

#6 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'd help, but I have another tileset I'm working on myself. Sorry! Besides, I did enough by giving some things to you anyway, since I knew it would come to that.

Heh, I just thought... If I did ask if I could help, and then I got a screen, I would probably edit the objects to look better, and you'd wonder "WTF? That's not how they were when I sent them... icon_lol.gif

#7 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

I was wondering whatever became of DoR Tileset v. 1.2.

Sad to hear that you don't have the motivation for it anymore. I am still awaiting DoR's release. icon_smile.gif

Hope you can find someone to help you with this, Radien, but my quest uses the Pure tileset, and only have a small demo, with a highly edited DoR tileset available. icon_neutral.gif

I'd offer to help, but I want to ask a question or two.

If I was to rip them into the current DoR set, would I have to import new pallets, or change combos around? I'd like to understand the amount of work involved before I decide whether or not to lend a hand with it.

Though, most likely I would. icon_wink.gif

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Radien... I know I allready told you... but: I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANNA DO THIS!!! I have been going around all day, hoping to be chosen to help you with my favorite tileset all time next to the gb tileset. And I promise I wont dissapoint you!

#9 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:49 AM

Well,. both you and I were speaking of this earlier before the now-defunct DOR-Pure-Xtreme tileset compilation. But I'd still be willing to add your tiles in and make combos for them inside your tileset. Just tell me what you need done.

#10 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

I can do this, if you need me to, even though I'm not using the DoR set...yet. icon_razz.gif I've got plenty of free time, so finding time to work on it won't be difficult.

#11 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Ohh... I sure hope you choose me! XD! And I AM using the DoR for most of my quest...
AND I could make use of those tiles VERY well!

Edited by Migokalle, 22 May 2007 - 11:16 AM.

#12 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

Migokalle. He gets it. You're not improving your chances of being picked, you're just being annoying.

#13 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ May 22 2007, 05:15 PM) View Post

Migokalle. He gets it. You're not improving your chances of being picked, you're just being annoying.

As are you. Stop putting down other members please.

#14 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

I'd love to... but unfortunately, I don't work fast enough with zquest. Too slow fer me.

Twas thinking about getting a grass overhaul in my quest too. Also, I believe there's technically an incorrect cliff usage on the second shot in the bottom-left, with using the full back corner piece when it should be only a half corner piece, given the cliff height of 1. Then again, it probably just looks better that way given the area around it, so I can't really complain.

QUOTE(Evan the great)
I like that new stuff Radien. It all looks alot more bushy and realisitic. You should try to do new treetops for the lttp trees too.

He has, but it's just not being shown in that shot. I personally don't like the new ones - twould much rather use SD's big trees that're similar to the large minish cap trees.

QUOTE(Revfan9)

Although agreed, you're being a little on the harsh side... like... always. Just saying.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Wow, lots of responses. I appreciate all your interest. icon_smile.gif Now, naturally, I can't recruit everyone here, so I'm going to have to pick one or at most two people.

Perhaps my timing was bad in the first place, but I don't have time to pick anyone until I get back from Memorial Day weekend. So I'm going to answer a few outstanding questions.

QUOTE(dlbrooks34 @ May 21 2007, 11:45 AM) View Post
Maybe if you just upload the .qst file with all the maps and dmaps deleted would be much quicker.

In a way that would be quicker, but I want this update to be compatible with the old tileset so people can just import the graphics pack and make a few changes. I may consider passing on my QST file to someone in the future to do what you said, but I want to get this small update out of the way first.

Linkus:
Yes, thanks! ...Umm, not much else to say; I just wanted you to know that your help was appreciated. icon_wink.gif

Sephiroth:
There are plenty of new palettes that COULD be added in, but most of them are optional at this time. Also, if I added any new palettes, they would be compatible with most (or all) of the old tiles.

Migokalle:
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I hope you can understand why I'm not giving this to the first person who came along...Among everybody who has shown interest, I'm going to look through their database submissions to get an idea of what they're used to working with. I'm probably going to pick someone who has released a tileset or a quest in the past, or at least done a lot of loose tile work.

In any case, if I come up with something you can help with, I will let you know. And if nothing else, you'll get access to the new tiles when it's done. icon_smile.gif

DFW:
"Now-defunct"? Um, that's new to me... Are you referring to the stagnation of the discussion of our compiled tileset? I'm quite ready to continue talking about those plans...but as I mentioned back then, I'd like to get this update out of the way, as it's a MUCH smaller project, and a quicker way of getting those grass tiles to current DoR tileset users.

I didn't know you were still interested in helping with this. icon_smile.gif Are you specifically motivated to help with the update, or should I just hurry up and get it done so you can move on to the compilation tileset? (assuming it's not permanently defunct...)

QUOTE(WindStrike @ May 22 2007, 06:33 PM) View Post

Also, I believe there's technically an incorrect cliff usage on the second shot in the bottom-left, with using the full back corner piece when it should be only a half corner piece, given the cliff height of 1. Then again, it probably just looks better that way given the area around it, so I can't really complain.

Whether or not you want to help with the tileset, the fact that you know my mountains well enough to notice THAT small of an inconsistency gets you major bonus points in my book. o_o I guess those points will be redeemable later...?

Anyway, I don't remember whether I did that on purpose or not, but every once in awhile I fudge something. Even Nintendo does that sometimes, if you look closely at the Zelda games.

QUOTE(WindStrike @ May 22 2007, 06:33 PM) View Post

He has, but it's just not being shown in that shot. I personally don't like the new ones - twould much rather use SD's big trees that're similar to the large minish cap trees.

I see your point, but the thing is, Gashin came out with that style of tree first, and then everyone rushed to imitate him. He did a great job, but I just wanted to do something different... and having detailed leaves, I felt, was a good distinction for DoR. By the way, since it came up, here's a shot that has almost all of the updated greenery:

IPB Image

I'm going to reserve some of the graphics as exclusives for the full DoR quest, but I haven't yet decided which. Probably the big deciduous treetops, since they're HUGE and hard to use, and I cringe at the thought of seeing them used badly. I'll include the fir trees, though, since they're virtually unaltered from Minish Cap. Plus they're easier to use, and thus handier for casual questmakers.

Anyway, I'll get back to all of you sometime next week. icon_smile.gif Sorry for the wait. I'll be at a 4-day 1500-person SCA event starting this Friday; in fact I might show up on Thursday to help them set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users