Major Discord Policy Changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
120 replies to this topic

#61 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

That's certainly one way to look at it, Adem. (Migo posted between my response and Adem's so.. that happened.)   It's a post that I can very much identify with, but having been on both sides of the fence multiple times, I feel like the best way to deal with this is for everyone to put their cards out on the table  for everyone to see, and say "We all care.  We all want the same things - To be happy in our own right," and to declare our own personal needs and requests, then see how they match up with everyone elses'.

All anyone wants is to be heard and accepted, and not ridiculed, debased, laughed at, or have their basic fundamental humanity denied.  To some, that's their identity.  To others, that's their freedoms of speech.

There are ways for everyone to win.  It involves people working together and agreeing on a system of their own creation, knowing full well what everyone needs and being willing to grant each other those things without taking away something from someone else.

I know there has been some positive feedback on the opt-in theory.  To be real, It's David's idea and I just added to it, assuming credit is desired.  There are already some systems in play that are being tested.  Not that I'm a spokesperson or representative for either the staff nor the system, but it's looking optimistic so far.

-------

Migokalle - Lemme ask you a hypothetical.

What system would you personally like to see in place where everyone would win?

• Nathaniel, Shane and Matthew like this

#62 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:30 PM

Migokalle - Lemme ask you a hypothetical.

What system would you personally like to see in place where everyone would win?

Well I think seeing as how currentevents has for the most part been a pretty nice place for a chat, the only thing you really need to do, is tell the few people who are posting nonsense from time to time to not do so. Maybe make them a meme channel where they can dumb that stuff, though there's a certain brand of not necessarily transphobic memes that have been posted, but they are hostile to it, and I think that can safely be slammed down upon - I don't know anyone who appreciates currentevents for what it has been, that would have an issue with jokes that are clearly offensive to people in this community being removed. But that needs to begin with a warning for the people in question, not a removal of an entire channel enjoyed by many - with the implications that it's all because of inclusivity. That just pisses people off.

But having said that, I do like the opt-in/out ideas people have been airing. While I do think that if someone has a problem with a channel, they should just be able to avoid clicking on it... if it would appease these people to not see it at all, then by all means do what you think you need to do about that. I do think it is making things unnecessarily complicated, but that's up to staff. Either way, it is clear that they need someone else to be moderating it as they seem to be unwilling to do so themselves, but like I said in my post that wouldn't be hard to find people for. And I don't think it would be a tough job either, again, most of the stuff in currentevents over time has been perfectly fine. The only issues people can legitimately have with that channel, stems from specific people and you can solve that with an exchange of words I'm pretty sure, as we are not talking about unreasonable children running around throwing eggs at people.

• Nicholas Steel and Shane like this

#63 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

I think we're hashing out a solution that will be comfortable and workable for most members. David hinted at the general direction we're looking at. It's just a matter of hashing out some details, which may take a few days. So for people who still want to give their input, I'd suggest doing it soon.

One thing I want to be very clear on is the fact that the LGBT inclusiveness portion is something I'm not backing down on. It has been a problem, and we're going to fix it. It isn't an "excuse," but a genuine issue and concern for many that I'm dedicated to addressing.

• ShadowTiger, Mitsukara, Mani Kanina and 3 others like this

#64 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

This is where the concept of special inclusivity falls on its face--and why it sets a dark tone to you decisions. Is it wrong to want to cater to everyone, ad to provide the most neutral format possible Certainly not.

What "special" inclusivity? The only thing special here was that it was considered more okay to flame a certain group of people, and now it's not. LGBT people aren't getting any special rights compared to anyone else, it just clarifies that you're not allowed to flame them.

You do however need to look at the abstract there:

When 97% of tour users want feature-X, ad 3% want feature-X removed.

Does that special inclusivity give that 3% of the userbase the right to dictate that it must be removed?

For one, you're taking these numbers out of your arse, but ignoring that for a hot second here. Say literally everyone else in the userbase agrees (99%!!!) that we should allow to flame you, does that mean we should be allowed to flame you? The answer is obviously no, cause we don't want to allow flaming here. Arguments arguing for that the majority gets to dictate that they can treat a minority badly cause they are a minority is nonsensical.

I run into this same trap on a regular basis. One or two people bitch or rant about something that the vast majority of users want us to include, or to use. Depriving the majority, simply to serve the minority is not balanced, or just. Taking their views into consideration is certainly required, but whatever bias bands together that minority--in my latest case, people who dislike NES graphics comes to mind--the overwhelming percentages must show us what the people using our services desire from them.

Okay so to boil down all the dumb equations you are doing here...,
Minorities, which generally is traits you're born with in the wast number of situations... are the same thing as people not wanting a software feature in an engine? Like, do I really need to dissect *why* this is a disingenuous argument?

You're also comparing minorities to peoples that dislike NES graphics, an equally dumb argument.

As soon as you stop focusing on the community as a whole, and instead put the interests of one group--including purely staff interests--above the rest, you will see backlash, and often deservedly so.

I don't think the interest of "treat these people with a basic level of dignity" is something that hurts anyone in the community. The only ones who would arguably be hurt by it are those who have big stakes in insulting others, which, you know, is not the community as a whole.

#65 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

[Snippet]

Please. Remember that there are real people behind these screens. That goes for everyone here, y'all.

I'm feeling really disappointed in this community right now.

I think things have mostly calmed down from yesterday. Things got kind of heated, yeah, but I think it's because people got a bit too passionate. I think a lot of this was just super pent up, due to communication issues.

It was certainly stressful, but when it's such a divisive issue, I think that's to be expected. I'd rather more honesty than not. Staff burnout certainly didn't help. I appreciate you trying to get the point across, though.
  • ShadowTiger, Mitsukara, Mani Kanina and 4 others like this

#66 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

One thing I want to be very clear on is the fact that the LGBT inclusiveness portion is something I'm not backing down on. It has been a problem, and we're going to fix it. It isn't an "excuse," but a genuine issue and concern for many that I'm dedicated to addressing.

Dude, are you not listening? NO ONE is saying you should 'back down' on that. NO ONE. The reason so many people are angry about this is because you keep implying that currentevents IS a problem in this context, and that is simply false. We ALL agree about the posts you are referring to not having a place on Pure - but YOU continiue to refuse to acknowledge that it is ALL COMING FROM ONE PERSON!

You keep saying you don't want to back down from it but how come you've done nothing about it during the several months this has actually been an issue? We all freaking agree on the subject, why do you keep acting like this is some sort of huge divide in the community? You can see by the responses from people who for various reasons have not been active for a while, by their responses in this thread, that when you use language like this, they believe you. And that is a problem because what you are suggesting is patently false, and easily demonstrable as such. I just can't post a single 'quote' from currentevents to prove you wrong, you have to go look in there, you have to look at where the problematic stuff is coming from and who, and you have to find out when that happened. If you scroll up a few months back you'll find that currentevents had NONE of that.

Edited by Migokalle, 13 March 2020 - 01:59 PM.

• Shane likes this

#67 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

Frankly, I think you're a little bit behind with this discussion. We're working on a solution. People have been giving their thoughts calmly and respectfully, and I am happy to see that continue. I'm sorry that you're upset, but at this point, I feel you're just being incendiary.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#68 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:07 PM

IMHO, there isn't much of a point in dwelling on the past when so many people are so devoted to finding a solution.  Please feel free to chime in with ideas yourselves, folks.  Even if you don't feel like you're being listened to, it doesn't mean it's not contributing towards the success of another, possibly grander idea.  You never know, really.  Plus, positivity and optimism sure beats beating a dead horse.

It's like that old phrase "Dress for the job you want, rather than the job you have," except it's the creation of a new system that you'd love to see working and functional. 

(EDIT:  Thank you for your responses to my inquiry earlier, Migo!   I enjoyed reading them!  The tab I was writing out a response to crashed when I was almost done with it and I don't want to rewrite all of that.  ._.'  Kind of at work here, sniping out a response while coworkers aren't looking, haha.)

• Mitsukara, Shane and Matthew like this

#69 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:14 PM

It's hard to be positive and optimistic when the reason I am so hurt has yet to be adressed, while at the same time Aevin is still talking as if the issue here is that there is some weird invisible transphobic ghost culture on Pure. You can't 'back down' from wanting to be more inclusive, when that is and should have been your policy all along - and NO ONE is arguing otherwise. It is the weird display of it that is bothersome, because doing that in this way, implies to people who to be frank don't know what they're talking about, that there really is a huge group of people who don't want to help people be comfortable or whatever. It's simply not true. We are all being brushed under the same comb because staff has been unwilling to tell the one guy who posts questionable shit to stop.

You can say that I'm 'behind' with the discussion, but I'm not, you're missing what's really bothering me about this, and that is your incredibly rude insinuations about this community as a whole. You need to own up to that, and not wiping currentevents isn't going to mean shit if you don't do that.

• Chris Miller and Shane like this

#70 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

I don't think any of the drama was needed, but all sides are to blame for that. I'm really sorry things got heated.

As for how to handle the server, there could be a serious channel, sure. The general channel should be in line with PZCs rules though, meaning no politics or sensitive matters. There need to be clearly defined channels, so discussion doesn't spill over.

• ShadowTiger, Nate, Mani Kanina and 2 others like this

#71 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

The idea of removing currentevents at all, is based on the idea that PureZC has not been inclusive. This is either an error on staff's part, or it is intentional, I do not know, though I will say that given how Aevin has to ask people to bring up examples of positive conversations in currentevents, that proves that he has no idea what he's arguing against, and that may be an indication that this was indeed done in error.

I don't want to get into your entire post, because the entire premise dictated here is wrong. PureZC hasn't been inclusive, this is the baseline of the conversation here, from what staff has provided there are plenty of users over several years that have had issues with the toxic space parts of the community has. People on or from pure that I still communicate with may not agree on how toxic pure is/have been, but they all agree on that there is a problem, which both lines up with staffs perspective, and my own.

While your voice will indeed be heard among with everyone eleses, claiming pure is inclusive because you personally feel it is, does not mean that it actually is.

Where CurrentEvents will go is still up in the air and might be worth more consideration and discussion, something I will advocate, the baseline understanding needed to take part and shape the future of that channel requires an understanding that the toxic levels in the community has driven people away and is not particularly inclusive.

Actually, you know what, I changed my mind, let's go over the entire post.

This is simply untrue, and I have yet to post in this thread because I have felt that this singles out a small portion of people as opposed to being a legitimate turn towards helping others feel more comfortable in the server. You don't make 2 people more comfortable if it requires removing a channel a huge part of the community clearly enjoys, if those two people have an issue with the channel, they don't have to go in there, and it really is as simple as that. If you do not have staff member who are willing to moderate it, then you need to hire some people who are. Again, they are not hard to find, I know at least 5 different people who have said they would like to moderate just currentevents.

Saying that there is only two people who have a problem with currentevents when you have no actually numbers is downplaying the suggested large amounts of users, as cited by staff providing feedback on the matter in private, that have had issues.
Also, you say these changes will not make others feel comfortable in the server, what makes you the authority on that? Staff have data that suggests a decent chunk of people have been driven away and are trying to fix that.

The main reason I have stayed out of this conversation is that I have been deeply hurt by it. This may not be completely rational on my part, and I admit that, but this is very much the reason why I have been so angry in other channels, as several staff members will be aware of.

If you are deeply hurt by this decisions, then that sucks. I do however recommend mulling things over in that the current state of affairs might actually have deeply hurt others.

When we moved over to Discord, it didn't take long before staff members that had never before been active in chat, decided that we needed to be singled out and placed into the 'controversial channel',

While discord did replace IRC (I think I had a fair part in popularizing that), it is by extensions a rather different medium. You always had your own ranting channel on IRC, so this really shouldn't be that big of a jump?

Also you say you feel targeted yet don't reflect on that a lot of content in CE could very well be very negatively charged and targeting very specific people.

because apparently having adult conversations is too much for some people. I was annoyed with this back then, because I felt like I was being singled out there too - we even had staff members openly joking about how it was the '#robinchannel', so while I was assured several times that this was not the case, we all know that it played a part. But it was fine, currentevents was not moderated in such a way that people's conversations would be limited, and that convinced me that you really did just want to help out the people who didn't want to see discussions about Trump or China or whatever in general. And that is completely understandable.

I don't really have a huge problem with this, but I just want to like, completely dispel the notion that CE is somehow "adult conversation" in contrast to the other channels. You can have an adult conversation about any topic, and having an adult conversation involves showing baseline respect for people who are different than you. Something that wasn't enforced before that the new rules seek to enforce.

So now when I see one of those same staff members make a thread saying that not only are they closing currentevents down, but they are doing so with the excuse that this is a push towards inclusivity. That is so illogical that I don't even know where to begin.

It's not an excuse, it seems staff is in pretty well agreement that the channel is currently a source of toxicity, you can disagree with that, but with that in mind it makes sense to question the need to keep it up, especially since political discourse, which is the main use, is already disallowed on the forums.

It has already been said a hundred times, so that's okay. But you need to understand that when you say this, it makes me think that you think that I, and everyone else who participated in that channel, is in any way against letting people be comfortable with themselves. You say you're concerned with making people feel comfortable in this community, but how do you think it feels when you're essentially labeling me and anyone else who participated in that channel as transphobes?

Now, I want to say this with as much respect as I can muster but that's hard: Get the fuck over yourself. You talk about having adult mature discussion about topics, yet you can't even muster up the maturity to talk seriously about this matter that is seemingly so important to you, without asserting people are insulting you personally when talking about systemic issues.

No one, literally fucking no one, in this thread has called you a transphobe, not even me. Nor is anyone else being called that, it's not about individual actions, it's about dealing with a systemic issue, one that many might even take part in without realizing.

Without any reasonable excuse. Heck, you even have a user who was previously banned for being toxic, straight up implying that I may be a transphobe in this very thread, and bringing me up by name. The example they cite is an inside joke this person does not understand, but even then they say that even if it is a joke, it 'isn't a matter to be joked about'.

There was a very reasonable reason provided why the future for CE is up for discussion, period.

1. I did not imply you're a transphobe, quite the opposite, I said my thoughts on the matter are irrelevant to the discussion, but the "meme" or "joke" in question is problematic.
2. You're literally taking offense to me bringing up a "joke" that you cite me not understanding by saying it implies you're a transphobe. That should be reason enough to prove that the "joke" is bad and shouldn't have been made. Shouldn't you agree then that it's in bad taste, even if for different reasons than mine?
3. Saying I don't understand the joke is irrelevant, a joke requires understanding, and if your joke hinges on, even if by abstraction, making fun of minorities then I don't consider it a joke. And to extend that, if your joke requires some deeper understanding for it to not seem hurtful to others, then it's a shitty joke to begin with.
4. Why does it matter that I have previously been banned? Please explain how this is relevant to the topic, the only reason you have to bring it up is to try and lessen or invalidate my argumentation without even interacting with it. (Something that is also not very adult discussion worthy, if you ask me). It's not like you yourself hasn't had staff actions taken to you, I'm also pretty confident there is at least one other user commenting in this thread that has also been banned. Are their arguments also meant to be taken as lessened cause they have been banned in the past? Or is just me cause my views differ more from yours?

Tim's ban was similar, you banned him for making a joke that you understood to mean something other than what he was actually saying. You misunderstood a joke and assumed he's a transphobe so out with him.

If people can't tell your so called joke apart from actual offense, then it's a bad joke. Furthermore, something can very well be a joke and be hurtful on the same time. If said jokes causes a toxic atmosphere and, in this case, specifically target minorities, then it's an issue worth considering. Maybe the ban was out of the blue, I think even staff in the thread have agree upon that it was a bad call and the right approach was to start properly moderating instead, something the new rules are meant to help.

These are the kinds of actions that makes me wonder if you really give a shit about making this place inclusive, because despite the fact that you claim that 'so many people' have complained about this for long time, other than banning Tim for a joke you misunderstood, you have done absolutely nothing to actually put an end to the shit that happens in that channel that ALL of us agree is not fit for it.

I wish I had a thinking emoji that was big enough to accurately describe my emotions right now. Staff has already, multiple times, in this very thread explained why moderation has been lax in the past: Burn out.

But no, it's easier to ignore that and extrapolate that staff don't at all care about being inclusive? Cause that's a rational explanation to come to for why? I'm beginning to think you're not making arguments in good faith here.

Yeah, this issue made me really angry. I do not know if I have ever felt about Pure like I do right now. I am still deeply hurt by the horrible implications of the OP and I think if you want to turn this ship around, it will require immense personal reflection on behalf of staff, along the lines of Anthus' fantastic post up there. You need to realize what a colossal mistake you just did, and you also need to take in over yourself just how much this has hurt and offended what I would otherwise argue are great contributors to this community.

Turn this ship around? The implication here is that you think there is no positive traits about anything in the original post. Now, the obvious extrapolation from this is that you think more protection from minorities and the idea to remove toxic stuff is also bad.

Also you say great contributors are deeply hurt and offended by this, but do you give any consideration to people who have been hurt or offended by the current matters of things? Are those people's feelings not worth consideration?
And how offensive is it really to you on a personal level that you can't discuss politics on a zelda classic discord server?

It is shameful and disgusting, and I do hope you understand that I say this with the best of intentions. You are acting like dictators of a community that should belong to all of us.

Online communities are not democracies, they are more akin to a corporate structure, with a clear owner.

That being said, staff is acting anything but dictators, which makes me question if you even understand the implication of what you're posing, or if you're just doing it to cause drama in bad faith. Not only have they encouraged discussion, they have even decided to listen to feedback and make changes to the new rules based on a clear demand to keep CE.

Furthermore, none of the discussion on the rules have been shut down by staff, which would be like, a baseline requirement to even argue dictator like behavior? Frankly, almost all active members of the community have voiced their concerns and opinions, and even more so in private. If anything, this should be celebrated as a good way to handle the discourse, flinging insults at staff is not a mature or adult way to handle the discourse.

You should see yourself as custodians, because that's what you are. This isn't your forum, you have inhereted it. Realize that what you are in control over, is not just your property, it is the place where many of us got to know each other. It is not just a community in the sense that it is a forum on the internet, this place is filled with real people some of which have spent more than half their lives in this place, and many of us have grown up together. And you need to let us continue to have conversations like normal human beings, and shutting down currentevents is the opposite of that.

So..., you mean to argue that we should keep CE because it's a huge cornerstone in what keeps this community together? I feel like this is projection, there is certainly been an outcry about it's removal so a lot of people want it, but if you want to converse like a human being, let's be realistic here; The pureZC community has dwindled over the years, it's kinda natural, it happens.

But there is one thing that brought people here, and I would argue has kept people here: Zelda Classic itself.
Now of course, it's not just the program itself, that alone don't keep people here forever, a lot of people decided to stick around cause they made friends and embedded themselves as a part of the community as a whole. But these things? They would survive CE being removed, that discussion would move elsewhere, and a few who only stuck around because of it might leave. But I'd argue that's a small portion, it's not a huge cornerstone of what makes up this community, I think that paints a poor image of everything this community has achieved over the years.

I simply cannot overstate how much and how deeply this hurt me, and I know I am not alone in that.

For your TL;DR, I'll give you my own: If you truly feel so deeply hurt by this, then put thoughts towards all the users that have in the past been deeply hurt things as they are currently, and consider being more accepting of change and work with staff to make this place less hurtful, rather than insisting they are just wrong and targeting you personally. They are not dictators, they are more than willing to listen.

<--->
Welp, than more shit happened while typing. *shrug*
Onwards we go! Part 2 coming soon~

Edited by Mani Kanina, 13 March 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#72 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

Part 2: More Migokalle post quotes!

Dude, are you not listening? NO ONE is saying you should 'back down' on that. NO ONE. The reason so many people are angry about this is because you keep implying that currentevents IS a problem in this context, and that is simply false. We ALL agree about the posts you are referring to not having a place on Pure - but YOU continiue to refuse to acknowledge that it is ALL COMING FROM ONE PERSON!

Actually, you did in your post imply that everything in the original post is a mistake and needs to be reverted, so.... yeah, someone is. Also I think staff already addressed that the current state of CE itself is a concern and needs to properly be moderated (along with more discord moderation). You can disagree with that, but saying all the problems is just one person is missing the entire conversation.

You keep saying you don't want to back down from it but how come you've done nothing about it during the several months this has actually been an issue? We all freaking agree on the subject, why do you keep acting like this is some sort of huge divide in the community?

Again, staff has cited burn out as the reason discord moderation has been lax and lacking, the point of this thread is hashing out ideas on how to move forward, attacking staff is not productive in that matter.

You can see by the responses from people who for various reasons have not been active for a while, by their responses in this thread, that when you use language like this, they believe you. And that is a problem because what you are suggesting is patently false, and easily demonstrable as such. I just can't post a single 'quote' from currentevents to prove you wrong, you have to go look in there, you have to look at where the problematic stuff is coming from and who, and you have to find out when that happened. If you scroll up a few months back you'll find that currentevents had NONE of that.

This is again ignoring the core systemically crux of the matter in favour of painting this as a much more simple and easy to resolve matter.

It's hard to be positive and optimistic when the reason I am so hurt has yet to be adressed, while at the same time Aevin is still talking as if the issue here is that there is some weird invisible transphobic ghost culture on Pure.

The issue is toxic stuff in general and it may or may not include transphobic stuff, which I think is likely a part of it. Considering this is based on actual concerns raised by people, all you're doing here is trying to discredit Aevin without any actual substance.

You can't 'back down' from wanting to be more inclusive, when that is and should have been your policy all along - and NO ONE is arguing otherwise. It is the weird display of it that is bothersome, because doing that in this way, implies to people who to be frank don't know what they're talking about, that there really is a huge group of people who don't want to help people be comfortable or whatever.

"Comfortable or whatever", spoken like someone who truly knows the topic. It's about baseline acceptance as human beings, if you wish to know. Also, you're by extension here trying to paint the picture that Aevin is somehow "fooling the masses" that somehow can't think for themselves. I want you to stop for a second and reconsider what the hell you're doing. You're just constantly make more and more arguments in worse and worse bad faith. While also displaying a shocking lack of looking over the general discourse that has been going on here, as if your, and only your, views matter.

It's simply not true. We are all being brushed under the same comb because staff has been unwilling to tell the one guy who posts questionable shit to stop.

Painting a large issue up as just one lone trouble maker is a pretty common strategy to brush big problems under the carpet. Maybe this guy is somehow awful and needs to be dealt with, sure, but that's not really the topic here, individuals and individual actions against them is not the topic, the topic is setting up rules going forward.

You can say that I'm 'behind' with the discussion, but I'm not, you're missing what's really bothering me about this, and that is your incredibly rude insinuations about this community as a whole. You need to own up to that, and not wiping currentevents isn't going to mean shit if you don't do that.

Okay, good, so you clarified that you are indeed read up on the thread and have read all the replies. That makes my life easier cause it makes it so you can't claim ignorance when it comes to your arguments done in bad faith.

Also, Aevin has made no insinuations on this community as a whole, you just have an inability to look past yourself. There is a problem, that problem is highly likely tied to CE on at least some level, and it needs to be fixed. This statement does in no way imply that everyone who takes part in CE is a problem, nor that any individual is a problem. Taking this personal don't help in the discussion of coming up with a solution. The only one I see insulting anyone in this thread is you insulting Aevin, who is being more than respectful with you.

Also, furthermore, that fact that you now claim the fate of CE don't matter unless you get a personal apology for Aevin for this perceived offense is shockingly immature. If anything, you're just proving that the mentality to discuss matters like adults, as you demand to be the case in CE, is something you yourself lack.

#73 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

So, no one's in trouble or anything, but we would prefer to keep the thread focused towards finding a compromise and creating solutions together as a community. We've really appreciated the thoughtful discussions and ideas that have been occurring to that end, and we want those to continue! Mani Kanina and Migokalle, if you could continue your responses to each other's posts privately that would be nice. You guys aren't barred from contributing to the conversation towards a compromise, of course, but we think the replies to each other's posts like that might be better served as a private discussion.

• ShadowTiger, Rambly, Nate and 6 others like this

#74 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

I'm kinda repeating myself here, but since there was a request for suggestions: I don't know if (non-bigoted, obviously) political meme images will be accepted in the new setup or not, but if they are, I'd suggest restricting them to their own channel (one of the opt-in ones), and disabling the posting of images in whatever channel does allow some degree of political discussion. That way image memes can't upset the flow of conversation, as they tend to be blunt and more incendiary. I think there's a way to set this up automatically on a discord server, so that certain channels can't have images posted in them.

As a more general policy for all sorts of PureZC stuff, I would also suggest thinking about putting things to a vote more often before setting up new major policy changes. Something like "the staff is proposing this change. 8 Staff members agree on it. Vote in this community poll whether you agree or disagree, or have alternative suggestions for how to do it". That's a bit more tedious for initial implementation, but if there's a deadline given on the voting then it's a finite, one-time cost per change, rather than something that continuously requires maintenance, and I think something like that could've helped prevent yesterday's argument.

With the voting idea, staff could still decide some things on their own, especially simpler things, but if it's a trickier issue then a vote could probably help a lot with determining what the overall userbase wants, and reduce the pressure of the decision for the staff.

I'm not sure if I actually have any new suggestions though, those are just what I thought of from yesterday, rephrased for the current situation. I like the opt-in system idea a lot though.

Edited by Mitsukara, 13 March 2020 - 05:13 PM.

• Rambly, Mani Kanina and Matthew like this

#75 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

I'm kinda repeating myself here, but since there was a request for suggestions: I don't know if (non-bigoted, obviously) political meme images will be accepted in the new setup or not, but if they are, I'd suggest restricting them to their own channel (one of the opt-in ones), and disabling the posting of images in whatever channel does allow some degree of political discussion. That way image memes can't upset the flow of conversation, as they tend to be blunt and more incendiary. I think there's a way to set this up automatically on a discord server, so that certain channels can't have images posted in them.

As a more general policy for all sorts of PureZC stuff, I would also suggest thinking about putting things to a vote more often before setting up new major policy changes. Something like "the staff is proposing this change. 8 Staff members agree on it. Vote in this community poll whether you agree or disagree, or have alternative suggestions for how to do it". That's a bit more tedious for initial implementation, but if there's a deadline given on the voting then it's a finite, one-time cost per change, rather than something that continuously requires maintenance, and I think something like that could've helped prevent yesterday's argument.

With the voting idea, staff could still decide some things on their own, especially simpler things, but if it's a trickier issue then a vote could probably help a lot with determining what the overall userbase wants, and reduce the pressure of the decision for the staff.

I'm not sure if I actually have any new suggestions though, those are just what I thought of from yesterday, rephrased for the current situation. I like the opt-in system idea a lot though.

I'd be down with a different channel for political memes, but ideally would like to see images remain in the discussion channel -- as long as they're related to conversation and aren't just those memes I'm sure most of you are aware of.

I can see it being annoying if you need to share an image related to the topic of discussion and the channel is locked down to prevent it, though.

• ShadowTiger, Rambly, Mitsukara and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users