majoras mask stone tower temple ikana nes 8-bit MusashiAA famitracker

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MusashiAA

MusashiAA

• Members

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

is this how i submit stuff

Hi. I'm eating hot dogs right now, they're mediocre.

So anyways, I was watching some dude play some ZC campaign, and it got me wondering if it supported .nsf music. Since it did, I took it upon myself to make some music in the style of the original The Legend of Zelda game for the NES and then submit it to this...place, as a way to refine my trackingCOUGHCOUGHHACK sorry, my tracking skills with Famitracker after a long creative sleep.

This is Majora's Mask's Stone Tower Temple track in the 2a03 NES audio module but somebody else already submitted that song , using channel volume value combinations that mimic the ones used in The Legend of Zelda. I'll explain:

I used a vanilla Famitracker release AND a modified, public release of Famitracker built for the sole purpose of importing track data from a .nsf file into a readable, editable .ftm file. I grabbed tracks 2 (overworld) and 6 (last dungeon) of a The Legend of Zelda .nsf file I had laying around (actually, it was Zeruda no Densetsu FDS, BUT IT'S THE SAME OKAY), read the volume value combinations used for each note on each wave channel, created .fti "instruments" based off them, then made this song with those instruments. Since the N64 allowed for more cinematic and dramatic compositions, some section of the 2000 original track were removed to make a more "condensed" cover that fit the 1986 game's simplistic style.

It's simpler than that, trust me.

You can listen to a watered down .ogg of this song here. http://www.mediafire...ower_Temple.ogg

Now, since you're big boys, I'll hand you the .nsf file too, go nuts..http://www.mediafire...ower_Temple.nsf

EDIT: Another example of this method: this time, it's the Lost Ancient Ruins track from A Link to the Past.

Listen to it: http://www.mediafire...cient_Ruins.ogg

The .nsf file: http://www.mediafire...ients_Ruins.nsf

Edited by MusashiAA, 26 February 2015 - 10:10 PM.

• The Satellite, Jared, Lightwulf and 1 other like this

#2 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

This sounds pretty cool..* Am listening to its. //

#3 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:32 PM

Take a good listen, people. THIS is what 8-bit music sounds like! None of that GXSCC garbage. When you take your time to actually recreate a song yourself, you'll get a far better results than any lazy MIDI program will.

But rambling aside, this is pretty great! There's not much constructive criticism I could provide considering these songs are in simple ol' 2A03, so great job. I can't wait to hear more of this stuff.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 26 February 2015 - 10:32 PM.

• thepsynergist and The Satellite like this

#4 MusashiAA

MusashiAA

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

Take a good listen, people. THIS is what 8-bit music sounds like! None of that GXSCC garbage. When you take your time to actually recreate a song yourself, you'll get a far better results than any lazy MIDI program will.

But rambling aside, this is pretty great! There's not much constructive criticism I could provide considering these songs are in simple ol' 2A03, so great job. I can't wait to hear more of this stuff.

Thank you so much. It's been so long since anybody's taken the time to tell me stuff about my work: the lack of equipment to make stuff when I feel like it has gotten me in this slump of never making anything but in scarce moments, and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE VGM so much, making doodles actually inspires me, and having people actually acknowledge my work makes me feel so much better about myself, like I acomplished something awesome :D

That GXSCC comment reminds me of how I started making music by messing around with GXSCC and modifying MIDIs for the "true 8-bit feel" 6 years ago or so.

OH BY THE WAY HERE'S BACKWARDS SONG

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Lorule Castle (TLOZ style):

Listen to it http://www.mediafire...rule_Castle.ogg

The .nsf file: http://www.mediafire...rule_Castle.nsf

• The Satellite and Alucard648 like this

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:25 AM

Thank you. I don't even make music and I find that program to be trash, and hate it when people try to pass off this fake crap as real 8-bit.

Anyway, these are fantastic! Keep up the good work! :)

• thepsynergist likes this

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

Well, I can't play the .nsf file.  However, if that .ogg file is "watered down", then the other version must be awesome! :D  Very well done! ;)  :approve:

#7 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

The .nsf file should play in Zelda Classic. If it doesn't, it's malformed. (I haven't tested it myself, but I do use ZC as an NSF player)

A slight criticism, I would recommend pitching the melody up an octave when a specific phrase is replayed to add a bit of interest.

#8 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

Well, I can't play the .nsf file.  However, if that .ogg file is "watered down", then the other version must be awesome! :D  Very well done! ;)  :approve:

If you can't play .NSF files in ZQuest or don't want to open the program over and over, download Winamp and then get the Chipamp plugin. The latter is incredibly useful, because it lets you play NES, GBC, GBA and SNES files all in one. Winamp is also a rather lightweight program that runs pretty quickly.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 01 March 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

These are very nice, true 4-channel 8-bit. I'm guilty of making stuff in GXSCC in the past, but these are truly top notch. The Stone Tower one is my favorite out of the three you've posted. Do you have any ideas for other songs? You should try NESifying other Majora's Mask dungeons. :D

#10 MusashiAA

MusashiAA

• Members

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

Thank you all for your kind words.

I would recommend pitching the melody up an octave when a specific phrase is replayed to add a bit of interest.

I understand exactly what sections you mean. There is a slight difference between sections 3 and 4, and sections 5 and 6 of Stone Tower Temple, but I guess they weren't evident enough to emphasize them to the listener.

If you can't play .NSF files in ZQuest or don't want to open the program over and over, download Winamp and then get the Chipamp plugin. The latter is incredibly useful, because it lets you play NES, GBC, GBA and SNES files all in one. Winamp is also a rather lightweight program that runs pretty quickly.

Use VirtuaNSF instead for your .nsf needs. You can just download it, open it, and click-and-drag .nsf files to it.

Do you have any ideas for other songs?

I was thinking of making an overworld remix based off a mixture between Wind Waker's Great Sea theme and the Game Demo track: a condensed Great Sea theme, so to speak. But I guess time will tell.

I've been looking on legit and efficient TLOZ-styled vibrato effects, with zero perfect results so far. The closest I could replicate was Adventure of Link FDS' vibrato effect, and it's not good enough thanks to Famitracker not handling instrument pitch as accurate as needed.

Quick trivia here: the FDS version of Adventure of Link is straight up better than its NES localization, as it handles vibrato effects better and much more scarcely, and thus is smoother and clearer to the ear.

• Anthus likes this

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

Would you mind if I used the Stone Tower, and Lorule Castle nsfs in my quest? They are just so legit, and there's not a better NES Stone Tower out there, period.

#12 MusashiAA

MusashiAA

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

Would you mind if I used the Stone Tower, and Lorule Castle nsfs in my quest? They are just so legit, and there's not a better NES Stone Tower out there, period.

No problem at all, dude. Credit me if possible and/or you'd like to, I guess. I'm really just making and posting this stuff here for anybody to use, since it's kinda in the same vein as ZC in general.

#13 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:08 PM

Thank you. I don't even make music and I find that program to be trash, and hate it when people try to pass off this fake crap as real 8-bit.

Anyway, these are fantastic! Keep up the good work! :)

I've had a vendetta against that program for almost 10 years now.  If you heard any of my 8-bit tracks, you'd see why.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: majoras, mask, stone, tower, temple, ikana, nes, 8-bit, MusashiAA, famitracker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users