contest quest month winter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

One other thing we discussed on Skype, was a one-month contest for the winter...as we don't have one AFAIK.

I proposed a one-month quest contest, with the premise that entries should be based on other popular VG franchises, be it as a mash-up with Zelda, or something wholly using one of those other genres, in a Zelda/ZC environment, or some such nonsense.

I've noticed a trend toward this, and people might want to be involved; so... How receptive would the rest of you be to this?

This wouldn't start until after the new year, and would probably be 30 days starting at some point in January, to some point in February, so that people can recover from their holidays before needing to crunch together a game.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 07 December 2015 - 02:26 PM.

• Evan20000 and Astromeow like this

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

I think it'd be cool. However, I'd advise against a one month time period. In my own experience, 2-3 weeks is the sweet spot. Any longer and people lose interest.
  • Evan20000 and Astromeow like this

#3 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

So you are saying I can make a mini quest in which

. Remake of certain Oracle of Seasons area/dungeon?

. Mini quest in which you are in the metroid-universe?
  • Jared likes this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

So you are saying I can make a mini quest in which

. Remake of certain Oracle of Seasons area/dungeon?

. Mini quest in which you are in the metroid-universe?

In short, absolutely, yes, you nailed it, spot on, bingo.

I think it'd be cool. However, I'd advise against a one month time period. In my own experience, 2-3 weeks is the sweet spot. Any longer and people lose interest.

Possibly, but... For once, I would like to actually participate, especially if I'm hosting it. If there is a large volume of negative feedback, i may curtail it to three weeks, but for those of us with full-time occupations, two weeks is an automatic 'pass'. Pretty much why I never bother, and especially at this time of year, a month may only be 2-3 weeks for many people.

The theme is also a bit...demanding in scope...so the extra week might result in more viability?

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 07 December 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

The theme is also a bit...demanding in scope...so the extra week might result in more viability?

In my experience, it results in more people getting burnt out and less actual submissions.

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

I'd be willing to give this a shot. I've had an idea kicking around that I've been wanting to do and this would be a perfect chance to give it a shot.

#7 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

Yes, please do this.

However, do we have to do something that isn't Zelda, or is that just recommended?

#8 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

Timeline will be fine either way imo, a month or the standard three weeks (because we all procrastinate, sorry two weeks)

I learned my lesson the past contest not to shoot for something bigger than I could possibly handle let alone do in my time that isnt consumed by work and real life

I wanna share what I have in mind. POSSIBILITIES!

. Shoot Em Up Zelda 1 

. Metroid ZC

. Luigi's Link's Mansion ZC

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Yes, please do this.

However, do we have to do something that isn't Zelda, or is that just recommended?

It must at least include, if not be based on, iconic objects, characters, places, or items, from at least one other game franchise of any sort.

I should probably decide if the Tingle spin-off games count as their own series too, but I'd probably say that they are their own ...thing...world, setting, given how different they are, and how absolutely bizarre.

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

I have two ideas for this. One would require very little work on the setup of scripts and tiles and combos and etc because all of that stuff I've actually already created. So the only thing I'd have to do would be the creation of the screens.

The other would be a little more intensive on the amount of effort needed to complete it because I've done absolutely nothing with the idea as yet. I could create the basic quest with a handful of scripts I've already written and some new tiles, but I don't know if I could give it a proper polish in a month.

So, I'm kind of torn as to which to do.

One would be my own original Metroid game.

The other is a bit more complex to describe. It was originally created in RPG Maker 3 as a pseudo-sequel to an existing franchise and to keep from irking those behind it; I'd have to obscure things a bit. Which would mean changing up the back story considerably and renaming everything. (Not Eternal Elegy, something else entirely.) 

I'll probably do both of these eventually anyways. The Metroid one I might be able to complete in a month. The other, I might get a good start; but I doubt I could finish it in a month.

Any opinions on this issue?

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

I have two ideas for this. One would require very little work on the setup of scripts and tiles and combos and etc because all of that stuff I've actually already created. So the only thing I'd have to do would be the creation of the screens.

The other would be a little more intensive on the amount of effort needed to complete it because I've done absolutely nothing with the idea as yet. I could create the basic quest with a handful of scripts I've already written and some new tiles, but I don't know if I could give it a proper polish in a month.

So, I'm kind of torn as to which to do.

One would be my own original Metroid game.

The other is a bit more complex to describe. It was originally created in RPG Maker 3 as a pseudo-sequel to an existing franchise and to keep from irking those behind it; I'd have to obscure things a bit. Which would mean changing up the back story considerably and renaming everything. (Not Eternal Elegy, something else entirely.) 

I'll probably do both of these eventually anyways. The Metroid one I might be able to complete in a month. The other, I might get a good start; but I doubt I could finish it in a month.

Any opinions on this issue?

If you think that you can finish the Metroid game, that would be best. May as well do what you feel you can accomplish.

• ywkls likes this

#12 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:03 AM

Yes, please do this.

Link's Awakening had a bunch of Mario Bros. references, so something like that might work as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, quest, month, winter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users