• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

noob alert:
I'm currently making a quest where I've tried something that I haven't seen in any of the other classic tile quests. (if it's been done, I haven't personally seen it as of yet). Instead of the normal 1 room, 4 walls thing, I tried putting 3 rooms together like so.

IPB Image

It works, mostly. Link disappears when he gets to the sides (1 tile worth), but he goes through.

However, vertically...

IPB Image

Link can't go up, but he can go down (cheated and used NO WALLS to find this out). Link can still go up in the center of each room, but not anywhere else. This is with walkable tiles. Also, why is it that it works like this with a dungeon room, but when I made a cave level it didn't?

I know it's possible, because everyone else does it with all other quests. Do I just need to actually draw EVERY tile in the room instead of using the room template?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Jerome

#2 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

For your first problem, you need to turn on the 'Freeform Dungeons' rule. I have no idea what the solution is to your second problem, though.

#3 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

OK I'll try that.

Also what I was saying about the cave (mini-level) is that it worked just like the normal overworld screens and it's labeled as a dungeon. But when I tried the dungeon itself, that's what was screwy. Hopefully I won't have to go back and change everything.

Thanks again

EDIT: Just tried it and it works, but now there's something else because of it. When Link walks through the doors he's on TOP of the walkway of the door:

IPB Image

Is this something that I have to fix with layers or something?

Edited by jerome, 17 August 2007 - 01:48 PM.

#4 king-n

king-n

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

Is this something that I have to fix with layers or something?

Yes, free form dungeons require that you make your own layers for doors.

#5 Hoten

Hoten

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

Overheads (combo type) works as well.

#6 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

So no matter what now, I have to redo ALL of my dungeons so far, or give up on the 3 room maze thing.... hmm... bummer. looks like I got a lot of work to do.

Thanks again!

How do overhead combos work? Any links for recommended reading would be appreciated. I looked up "overhead" in a search and found pages and pages of results, but nothing that I could tell that would be specific to that.

EDIT: I think I may have found the answer about the overhead thing... <pause to test>
Yup! Got it. Thanks everyone!!

Edited by jerome, 17 August 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(jerome @ Aug 17 2007, 01:20 PM) View Post

So no matter what now, I have to redo ALL of my dungeons so far, or give up on the 3 room maze thing.... hmm... bummer. looks like I got a lot of work to do.

Thanks again!

How do overhead combos work? Any links for recommended reading would be appreciated. I looked up "overhead" in a search and found pages and pages of results, but nothing that I could tell that would be specific to that.

Overhead combos are a very easy way to have objects appear over Link without having to worry about formally assigning layers. In fact, they will be VERY useful to you. icon_smile.gif If you assign "Overhead" to the upper part of each door combo (the part Link is suppose to go under), all of your existing doors will function that way without replacing them manually.

There's a small chance that using the "Doors" tool to place passageways might interfere with this, but try it: edit your existing passageway combos to assign the "Overhead" combo type to the upper part of the door (as in, the part of the doorway that's furthest from the dungeon floor, which will be anywhere between 1 and 3 combos wide).

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

No, no, no! You don't need no stinkin freeform dungeons!! C'mon here guys that's not helping anybody. Layers??? This is a NES type quest with only a little liberty taken in dungeons.

Jerome: i'm assuming this is the lv4 b2 walls problem, yes?

Helpful answer;

In dungeon type rooms link will dissapear under edges of the screen.
In cave type rooms doors wont work.

Helpful solution 1) Multiple Dmaps with scrolling warps between the two dungeon/cave type rooms. In the 2.11 betas you can switch these on a screen by screen basis, thus not needing the scrolling warps.
2) In cave type rooms where you need a door THEN use a screen for layering. Preferably add a couple new combos on your combo page, a) overhead type wall,-walkable on edge of screen, b) doors set to lock block, and lb copycat. Shutters require secret combos but you get the idea.

btw; I finished lv4 with 1/2 heart in the boss room, no potions. maybe add a wizzrobe...hehe... how's it coming along?

EDIT; wow, I was cooking at the same time and it took me like an hour to write this, I see there has been some other usefull replies also.

Edited by Gleeok, 17 August 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#9 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Eww, Gleeok. That method is horrible, no offense. It's much, MUCH easier to just set the combos that are the tops of doorways to Overhead. Takes what, 10 seconds in the Classic Set and fixes the whole Quest.

I mean I respect your hatred for conformism, but... >_>

#10 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

Yep. your right, in 2.10 I just tested this and it works fine. 2.10 used to drive me nuts with all the bugs which is why I switched to 2.11 and 1.92. I thought this was one them also...but it works fine. So yeah, just use overhead and and freeform dungeons. My bad..Although now i'm really pissed that my old 2.10 wouldn't let me do any of this ****. The save files would get corrupted, ZQ would crash, midi's would always **** up. Grrr...

Also the classic set isn't set up very well for dungeon wall drawing by hand, that's another reason to get 2.5.

#11 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Aug 17 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post
Also the classic set isn't set up very well for dungeon wall drawing by hand, that's another reason to get 2.5.

...Or just get the PTUX set... icon_sweat.gif

Edited by Schwa, 17 August 2007 - 07:25 PM.

#12 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

I agree with Schwa. The PTUX set's the best way to go.

#13 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Aug 18 2007, 01:10 AM) View Post
I agree with Schwa. The PTUX set's the best way to go.
Or DoR. They're very similar, it's just personal preference that puts one over the other.

#14 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, or DoR. Both very brilliant tilesets, but I prefer PTUX since DoR is more challenging. (i'd use DoR, but I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too lazy to figure out complex stuff.)

#15 Hoten

Hoten

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:01 AM

I think he's doing the classic set because of it's simplicity.

All the tiles in the Pure set make my head spin...not to mention DoR 0_o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users