Photo

State of ZC Development (very important read)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#46 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:32 PM

Just a shy question: Is it still okay to do videos about ZC quests, especially related to original Nintendo quests without having to worry getting sued? I just recently got back into overhauling all my content for ZC, and it is fun being back. Greetings from Switzerland.

PS: Big Joe, you still rock, and i love your sound and music bits for my quest pack. :)

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 19 August 2021 - 12:33 PM.

• Valerie likes this

#47 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:56 PM

That's probably not possible, because ZC is GPL licensed. Even if War Lord decides it's okay to dual-license it, it requires either getting consent from everyone who contributed or removing their contributions.

oh interesting-- i was at first thinking yeah it's totally possible for GPL'd code to be _sold_ but i didn't think about the fact you have to integrate non-GPL SDKs. we could, with reasonably obtained permission, switch to a more permissive like MIT (my preference, but a much much much bigger debate).

• Rambly likes this

#48 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:58 PM

oh interesting-- i was at first thinking yeah it's totally possible for GPL'd code to be _sold_ but i didn't think about the fact you have to integrate non-GPL SDKs. we could, with reasonably obtained permission, switch to a more permissive like MIT (my preference, but a much much much bigger debate).

More for me to delve into for 2.55 A-F+

-James

#49 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

Just a shy question: Is it still okay to do videos about ZC quests, especially related to original Nintendo quests without having to worry getting sued? I just recently got back into overhauling all my content for ZC, and it is fun being back. Greetings from Switzerland.

PS: Big Joe, you still rock, and i love your sound and music bits for my quest pack. :)

This is totally out of the control of anyone here, but I think you're quite safe.  As of now, Nintendo is perfectly okay with people streaming/recording their games as long as the content is not monetized.  They have not enforced anything on larger fan projects either (see the huge number of AM2R videos available).  I think the chances are very, very low that video ZC content would ever be in jeopardy.  The worst that would happen is that the videos are DMCA'd in which case they'd just be unavailable, no being sued or anything.

Also, I was surprised to see a few people in the official dev server on Discord confused about this - PureZC's database is NOT maintained or officially affiliated with the development of ZC.  None of the announcements made here affect the resources (including completed quests) available on PureZC, or dictates what people use for their own projects, or dictates what people are allowed to play. The stripping of copyrighted information would only apply to the official ZC program downloads at some future date.

Like I said I was surprised to see this was a question, but I suppose the AGN/Pure/ZC dev boundaries are a little muddy to people that are only involved in the community via Discord servers.

• Rambly and coolgamer012345 like this

#50 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 19 August 2021 - 03:18 PM

War Lord says he believes it's OK for now.  He believes that the ROMUniverse guy stepped WAY out of line, though this is a situation to be watched.

-James

#51 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 August 2021 - 04:09 PM

Do we REALLY need "Quest" AND "Classic"?
...Why not "ZClassic Player" and "ZClassic Editor"?
...or "ZQuest Player" and "ZQuest Editor"?

So, there'll be no doubt that theese two programms are for one, same system.

People pretty intuitively understand that ZQuest is the editor for ZC. I do agree that something like "ZQuest Classic Editor Player Creator" or whatever the dev group under Zoria was proposing is way too long and ridiculous, though.

• Nightmare, Mitsukara, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#52 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 20 August 2021 - 04:14 AM

War Lord says he believes it's OK for now.  He believes that the ROMUniverse guy stepped WAY out of line, though this is a situation to be watched.

-James

Update:  I think we're in the clear.  Zelda Classic now has an official Twitch listing.

-James

#53 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:35 PM

People pretty intuitively understand that ZQuest is the editor for ZC. I do agree that something like "ZQuest Classic Editor Player Creator" or whatever the dev group under Zoria was proposing is way too long and ridiculous, though.

It's "ZQuest Classic Editor" and "ZQuest Classic Player". Not that long or confusing. It's just [Name of Program] and then [Editor or Player]

• Twilight Knight likes this

#54 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:48 PM

War Lord made his decision.

An official announcement on the Zelda Classic Organization and the status of the Council will be coming in the near future.

-James

• Twilight Knight and Matthew like this

#55 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:40 AM

I have only one question. ...and I know it's not the time to ask things about the upcoming development.
...but... Is 2.55 going to be finished, or will it be canceled at the current state of Alpha builds?

#56 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:19 AM

I have only one question. ...and I know it's not the time to ask things about the upcoming development.
...but... Is 2.55 going to be finished, or will it be canceled at the current state of Alpha builds?

Advanced/incremented.

-James
  • Bagu likes this

#57 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 05 September 2021 - 09:25 AM

ZeeCee

• Rambly, Nathaniel, Aslion and 5 others like this

#58 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 05 September 2021 - 03:44 PM

As far as names, I still really like ZeeCursion and ZeeQuest.

#59 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 September 2021 - 07:57 PM

OQsJrxK.png

The future is now old man!

• Twilight Knight, The Satellite, Russ and 3 others like this

#60 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members