Photo

Dual Boomerangs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

I'm wondering if it is possible to have two boomerangs thrown one after the other via Item Editor, or it has to be done through scripts. the other part, however, will have to done by script if possible--when B is hit a third time, the boomerangs switch places in an arc (not a line!). Personally I find it very useful for those indirect switches that can't be hit by wand magic or arrow, and for the weakness of a hopefully very impressive dungeon boss.

If not, I'm guessing to blame the same problem with such scripts.

#2 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

I remember in one of the files for Neofirst being able to have three boomerangs on one screen. As that was probably a bug, you'll probably have to get a script for it.

#3 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

Actually, I would think this would be possible using the item editor to create a second boomerang though you would have to likely change it's properties a little so that ZC thinks it's a seperate item rather than a duplicate of an existing item; then you would have to have the A button selection rule active so that both boomerangs could be selected at once though this would disable the sword for the moment. As for the boomerangs swapping position in midflight, that might be difficult to accomplish even with scripting but if someone can do it feel free to prove me wrong. Offcenter switches can easily be done right now with the boomerang; just limit the positions where Link can throw the boomerang or use obstacles the boomerang cannot pass through, and place the switch in a position so that when Link moves and the boomerang starts to return to him it after being thrown in the directions it is limited to it will pass through the switch and presumably activate it on it's return flight to him.....

#4 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Well...,
I guess that scripting makes nearly everything possible, and make this functionable wouldn't be to hard...

Well good luck finding this out!

#5 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

from what i got out of that, sounds like a good idea, but do you mean the first boomerang you throw would go strait, and the other one arcs around to the first one? icon_sorry.gif

#6 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

I think you can throw a second one whilst the first is in mid flight (both go straight in the direction Link throws them), and then with a THIRD button press they sort of arc around each other and switch positions... but what happens when they reach that position? Just come back to Link?

#7 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

yes, but i didnt understand your little story NoeL <-(see that, i did it right!)

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Sure, you could have 10 boomerangs at once if you wanted. However the triggering of secrets part via script is tricky. You'd have to check whether the ffc is touching a flag, or a certain combo, get the current map and screen, then set that screens flags based on what secret you need for that screen. All those effects would be part of an ffc script.

#9 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:01 AM

wait, which version is the item editor in? and can you create your own items? if so how?

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Pregnant_Cow @ Dec 27 2007, 10:01 PM) View Post

wait, which version is the item editor in? and can you create your own items? if so how?

The item editor is only in 2.5 alpha builds. I suggest you don't download one though, as a stable release is about 626 bug fixes away. But if you really want to, you can download them at shardstorm.com. As for how it works, check the ZC Documentation wiki. A link to it can be found at the Zelda Classic main site, which is zeldaclassic.com.

Edit: AGN is down, so zeldaclassic.com is down. Here is a direct link to the documentation wiki: http://www.shardstor...Cwiki/Main_Page

Edited by russadwan, 28 December 2007 - 02:03 AM.

#11 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Alright, so how do you throw two boomerangs without selecting each one separately in the item editor? And is making a script where the two boomerangs switch places and come back when you press B a third time possible? Like so:

B once -> Boomerang #1
B twice -> Boomerang #2
B a third time (while both are in the air) -> Boomerangs swap places, then return again to Link

Note that the original boomerang mechanics are still in effect, except when B is hit a third time.

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

We don't really have access to built in item sprites and pre coded weapons, so the boomerangs will have to be entirely scripted. What your describing is using two ffcs for boomerangs and using an item script to check if none, one, or two boomerangs have been thrown, then coding their movement based on that data. You'll need alot of variables to keep track of stunned enemies, location of the ffcs, and movement patterns it sounds like.

#13 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

Well, that's a downer. Not even script add-ons? Well, I guess there's the way you described that is possible...

Wait a minute. Shouldn't item classes make a difference? Wouldn't that save a lot of time without writing a stunning script and all just to do this, if having control over just two sprites be much easier? Maybe asking for some leeway into the embedded scripts for ideas such as my request wouldn't affect much...

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Linkus @ Dec 29 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post

Wait a minute. Shouldn't item classes make a difference? Wouldn't that save a lot of time without writing a stunning script and all just to do this, if having control over just two sprites be much easier?

Item classes?
How would they help?

ZScript has no control whatsoever over how the boomerang flies.

It is possible in the way Gleeok outlined, but not otherwise I'm afraid.

QUOTE(Linkus @ Dec 29 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post

Maybe asking for some leeway into the embedded scripts for ideas such as my request wouldn't affect much...

You're going to post that at AGN?

Can I time how long it takes till we get 'Post 2.5'? =P

We're close to a stable version and all that, I think you're unlikely to get anywhere icon_unsettled.gif

#15 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

Item classes should place certain preset properties on items... Although, it's a bit useless without the ability to script another boomerang sprite instead of a FFC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users