In need of a scripter / script adviser for DoR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

Well, I've been thinking about this lately, and have decided that I really need help with scripts. (I may ask at AGN later, but I decided to try first here since this is my "home base" for ZC.) In the past, I haven't been afraid to ask for help when it came to music and occasionally graphics, so I think I'd better do the same for scripting. Dance of Remembrance has been in the works for quite awhile now, but I'm finally starting to pick up some speed as I really dig into the dungeons. However, I have my hands tied in several ways, because what I want to do with the quest conflicts with my current capabilities, for various practical reasons.

First of all, I don't really want to learn scripting. It's not that I don't enjoy programming. Rather, I see scripting as a hobby separate from questmaking. One person can be interested in both, but it's highly unlikely they'll finish a full-scale quest while simultaneously writing lots of scripts. I know it can happen, but ZC isn't my only interest, so I don't have quite that much time. Besides, I tend to engross myself in what I do, and I'm easily distracted by side-pursuits. I could learn how to script if I tried, but the quest project would probably suffer greatly from my scripting interest.

So, I'd like to find someone who knows about scripting. This does not necessarily mean I need someone to write a script every time I have a request. There are some good scripts already out there, for instance. icon_smile.gif In those cases, I need someone to gauge their stability and usefulness, implement them, and help me learn how to use them as tools for quest design. In short, a cooperative effort.

Just to give you an idea of the types of things I need, here's a short list of features I'm interested in having someday:
  • A script that detects when you press the A button (the sword button in DoR) near an NPC/signpost, then cancels the sword animation, and warps the player somewhere else (after which point I have a standard procedure for dialog screens). R button would be fine, too.
  • A script that allows you to pick up and throw objects like in LTTP. It's okay if the player is held in place until the object is thrown, if necessary.
  • A basic climbing script for ladders and vines: uses climbing animation, and disallows items.
  • A collectible item that can be exchanged for rewards. Could be a modification of the "Bait" item to allow the player to carry more than one (preferably with a subscreen counter).
  • Slippery ice combos, or some variant other than "slow walk." Somewhat optional.
  • A dash/Pegasus Boots script. Also somewhat optional.
In short, I'd like some of the standard things people expect from a Zelda game. Zelda fans who are using ZC for the first time usually complain to me about the lack of certain elements. Yes, some of these scripts already exist. But again, I need an adviser to help decide which ones are worth using, and implement them. I seriously don't intend to be "lazy" here; rather, I'm interested in certain design aspects (story, graphics, and gameplay) more than others, and don't have time to learn them all.

By the way... even though I've installed and tried out some of the later versions, I am currently still using 2.11 beta 15 for work on DoR, because I don't want the risks involved in upgrading my quest every time a ZC build is released. So currently I can't use scripts...but I am fully intending to upgrade once a more stable release is available, since there are many things I can't finish in my current version. I can't predict Zelda Classic's development, but I'm always thinking ahead.

I'm hoping to make Dance of Remembrance a quest to... well... remember. icon_heh.gif I'm hoping someone else who enjoys working with scripts would like to join me in that pursuit. icon_wink.gif

#2 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

Found four of the requests at AGN already done.

Sign Post: http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=98736
Bit different from what you want, and it doesn't disable the sword animation so maybe you could ask for an edit of that one.

Dash Script: http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=95627

Pick up rocks: http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=98736

Ladders: http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=99828

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

Um, thanks plissken, but I'm still looking for someone to help implement scripts. I actually knew of the existence of three of those four scripts, but once I start to read the threads, it becomes apparent that a certain amount of scripting knowledge is necessary in order to implement them, or even just to gauge whether they're worth implementing.

Really, there's a big difference between "can be done" and "works well enough to be worth doing." icon_shrug.gif

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

If you just want someone to tell you how to implement things/whether it's worth doing I could do that quite easily, and simple modifications to ones that are already made - such as making the signpost script warp you to another screen rather than playing a string I'm also quite capable of doing.

If you wanted anything major doing though, I'd have to see benefit of it for my own game; or at least something that I could post that everyone would benefit from.

So yeah, I can do that if you're interested.

Edited by Joe123, 07 November 2007 - 02:17 PM.

#5 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Nov 7 2007, 08:27 AM) View Post

Um, thanks plissken, but I'm still looking for someone to help implement scripts. I actually knew of the existence of three of those four scripts, but once I start to read the threads, it becomes apparent that a certain amount of scripting knowledge is necessary in order to implement them, or even just to gauge whether they're worth implementing.

Really, there's a big difference between "can be done" and "works well enough to be worth doing." icon_shrug.gif

Ok, it was just that when I was reading your post I remembered all of them and didn't know you knew about them. I mean you did say that they were the features you wanted some day, so it didn't sound like you knew about them.

#6 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:05 AM

I believe I may have been too subtle in my post in this thread:

http://www.purezc.co...o...1991&st=15#

Conditions:

A) It must be something non-trivial, ei, Currently beyond anything that can be acheived without scripting,an example of which; the Morlach, which I believe used only ffc's (think bigger than that). And must be a boss that I can use also, as I really don't have that much spare time.

B) The script will be showcased and shared with anyone who wants it, as I really believe that anyone who selfishly shows off but doesn't share anything should eat a perma-ban sandwich. You know who you are.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Nov 7 2007, 01:54 PM) View Post

Ok, it was just that when I was reading your post I remembered all of them and didn't know you knew about them. I mean you did say that they were the features you wanted some day, so it didn't sound like you knew about them.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear about that. Basically, I know about their existence, but I haven't read the entire thread for each of them. icon_smile.gif Once I started reading, I stopped because I felt like I wasn't knowledgeable enough to gauge their usefulness.

Hey Joe, I'll answer your post in the other topic, okay? icon_thumbsup.gif

#8 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

I could. It gives me something to do with ZC, since I'm a bit like Shadow Tiger in the way I make quests- I get bored with mapmaking. About half of the scripts you're considering require only up to an hour or two of planning, thinking and actual typing. Plus, I'm considering being a programmer. (although I'm more in favor of 3D-modeling)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users