Combo Cycling problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

In my pirate ship dungeon I have platforms under the water, which constantly rises and lowers in and out of the water. Being caught in the water when the platforms sinks causes you to be warped back to a certain location.

To achieve this desired effect, I set on cycled combo which serves only as the animation of the platform under the water and placed them in background layer 2. The other cycled combo is meant to be mostly blank, except for when it rises out of the water indicating it's walkable space.

The problem with this setup is that the above water combos appear all black rather than the intended color, it looks really awkward. Anybody have any idea why this is happening?

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

When you say "all black", do you mean it's a completely black square, or rather the shape of your tile but with the wrong colours?

Have you checked the Cset of the tiles and the palette on layer 2? They may appear ok in your layer screen, but if your actual game screen uses another palette then it may make them look different.

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

You know what, I don't think I have. I'll take a look.

And to answer your question, it is the correct shape, but looks all black.

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Actually, the tiles that are affected by discolorization are on the main screen, not the layered ones. So unfortunately, that was not the solution.

Any other ideas?

#5 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

As a test, try adding the "walkable space" combo directly on your main screen and see how it looks?

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Here are a couple example images. So they look actually more like black squares with white borders around them, but nothing like they are intended to look like.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 26 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Update: I just placed for test purposes tiles that began with the tile I was looking for. When I entered the screen, the graphics worked with the right color, and than they disappears (as they are supposed to). But than when they reappear, they gain the altered color as the other tiles. It seems like the desired combo can be placed on the screen, but when it's cycled back into the combo, it becomes distorted.

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Ok, I'm afraid I don't know what's causing that icon_eyebrow.gif You could try sending me the quest file so I could try and have a look at it if you want. Other than that I'm puzzled and I can't help unfortunately.

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Here are a few images to show what's happening when I enter the screen with the tiles above the water. You can see the 'test' tiles are to the right. I removed the enemies because they would be a distraction. I would like to try and find an answer on here first before I send the file to someone, but we'll see.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

AmI alone on this one?

#11 Frocks7Snee

Frocks7Snee

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Is the water combo cycling to the box on the right Cset? That's probably the problem.

EDIT: Your super bomb icon on the passive subscreen looks funny too.

Edited by c00ln3rd, 27 December 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#12 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Is the water combo cycling to the box on the right Cset? That's probably the problem.

c00ln3rd is right. That's the problem. Sorry, I saw this thread to late to comment on it. I usually look through the help threads in case I can help but I missed this one.

You always need to set the correct pallet in the combo cycling box. It's a pretty common mistake (at least for me icon_smile.gif ).

-Strike

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just checked, still trying to figure out about palette changes in cycling.

But while I do so, I also noticed when the words "water cycling to box". Maybe I need to show what tiles is actually cycling here.

This screen uses a background layer. All water tiles you see, is in the background layer.

The box, is on the regular screen, I dunno if there is a layer given to that one. Some people call is layer 0 I believe? So what I have here is two cycle combos working at the same time, in the background is the object you see, on the main screen is the block that surfaces. So here's a little visual of what's going on.

So really, there are two combo cycling working together at the same time:

Layer 0
- step block surfaced (lasts few seconds)
- blank combo
- blank combo
- blank
- blank
- blank
- blank
- blank
- blank
- step block resurfaced (few seconds)

Layer 2 (background)
- underwater block fully raised (lasts few seconds)
- underwater block lowering
- underwater block fully lowered
- underwater block raising
- underwater block fully risen
- underwater block fully raised (few seconds)

So that's the general idea of how this particular cycle is working. Except it's the step block that's on layer 0 that appears which is turning distorted looking. Which is funny, because the first time the step block appears, it appears just fine.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 28 December 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#14 Frocks7Snee

Frocks7Snee

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Does the combo the box is cycling to cycle to the box on the correct Cset?

#15 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

How do I tell?

It seems that they are all on cset 2. Okay, I just made certain they already are all cset 2. So the issue wouldn't be that, so I'm still unsure why this is happening.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 28 December 2012 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users