Relational, Dungeon carving and Alias

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

OK, in 2.5, most of us know of and use dungeon carving, relational and alias. But I don't know what they do. Waht do they do and how do I use them?

#2 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Dungeon Carving are Relational modes are helpful for when you want to set up a complex design, like a dungeon room, or a river, in a fast and simple way.

Alias is a set of tiles that you can place like one tile, this is helpful when you want to put down a tree or house, as you can drop it like one tile.

Basically, they're time-saving tools.

#3 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

OK, so how are they used?

EDIT: Well, I can guess how Alias is used but what about the others?

Edited by Banjo7J, 05 December 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#4 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

Each requires a special set up of tiles.

The Dungeon Carving set lets you basically draw the floor of a dungeon room and then it will automatically create the walls around that floor for you.

Alias is similar. You can use it with floor borders or water, etc. It will allow you to draw to the screen and it will automatically shape the edges for you.

It's hard to explain without a demo.

I will try to set one up for you later today.

Edit:

Found a demo quest someone else did. I can't remember who unfortunately.

Demo

Go to Map 7. Screen 04. This is to practice dungeon carving.

Scroll down to combo 1280. It'll be the first combo in a set of what appears to be random dungeon wall tiles.

Now switch to Dungeon Carving. When you draw Combo 1280 to the screen, it will create a patch of floor and change the tiles around it to walls. If you continue drawing it will create connecting floor tiles with the appropriate walls around them. This is Dungeon Carving.

Now, go next door to screen 05 to practice Relational. Now scroll to Combo 1792. It will be the first of a series of random looking dungeon floor borders. When you draw with this tile, it will create ever expanding sets of floor borders, shaped to fit the squares you draw in. You will see as you draw with it.

Dungeon Carving is useful for creating intricate dungeon rooms, and the relational is good for bordering those rooms. However, relational can also be used for water in the overworld, or other similar border areas.

The only downside to Dungeon Carving and Relational is the set up time. It does take alot of work to figure out the semi random placement of the tiles to fit your own tiles. But once you figure it out, its a major time saver.

#5 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

I tried to download the demo but it comes up with an error 404 page.

Edited by Banjo7J, 05 December 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#6 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

Try again. Apparently Angelfire crapped out on me even though I've never had any problems before... icon_frown.gif

#7 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

Uh, could you possibly share it somewhere else? I don't really want to register on something I won't use a lot.

#8 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

If you find me in chat I will be glad to send it to you.

#9 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

I don't go on chat. *dodges bullets shot at me* I can't be bothered setting the whole thing up. Sure, it'd give me something to do when I bored but meh.

#10 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

Send me a PM with your email address. I might be able to email it to you.

#11 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

I would but Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Mail are acting up ATM. It says it's needs to update (Well, Messenger does anyway, but Mail will probably be fixed when Messenger is.) before you can use it but after the wait of it updating, the update fails.

#12 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

Do you use any messaging programs? aim, yahoo, msn? If so, send me a pm with your screenname and I'll see what I can do.

#13 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

No. Well, I use MSN but that's Windows Live Messenger which as previously said, is not working.

#14 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

I've finally gotten how to work both. The default tileset has water/pit examples for relational that you can explore, but I don't know about dungeon carving. Have fun figuring it out icon_razz.gif

#15 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, I seen the relational water tiles when I was messing around but I'm kinda comfused at one point. If you just click on the screen and don't drag the mouse, it comes up with a small island. Shouldn't it come up with a small puddle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users