Photo

New to 2.5...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sarge117

sarge117

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

I've recently gotten my hands on ZC version 2.5 and I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with. I nearly created a full quest with version 2.10 over a year ago, but when I found version 2.5 I was a bit overwhelmed by all the new changes and additions.

My first question concerns Link's starting position at the beginning of the game. I remember being able to place the green square to do this in 2.10, and that would be where Link was when you started a new game. However, now it seems as if it is ignoring the green square completely and always puts Link in the upper left corner of the upper left screen. Am I missing something stupid here?

My second question concerns warps and this new multiple warping system. I remember long ago in 2.10, when you created a warp to have Link go into a cave for a special item or for a shop, you could place a blue square for his exit point. However, the blue square now seems to be completely absent from all subsequent versions of ZQuest. So how is it now that you specify Link's exit point(s) for caves, item rooms, etc?

Sorry if these seem like stupid and basic questions, but there seems to be very little in the way of beginner's tutorials and guides for version 2.5 out there.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Actually, there are supposed to be blue squares. But, there is a bug that makes it where they disappeared. They will work again in the next build though, which actually answers both of your problems.

Also, welcome to Pure ZC!

#3 sarge117

sarge117

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:10 AM

Ah, thanks Russ. Gotchya.

Any guesses on when the new build would be ready? Or is it more like one of those "it'll come out when it comes out" kind of things?

#4 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

You got it. They come out when come out. Sometimes its twice a week. sometimes its twice a month. You just never know.

#5 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Zelda and Pokémon Master •

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

Shouldn't be too much longer, though. They've had build 798 out for a few weeks now. Plus, the new build has a BUNCH of fixed stuff in it. I'm thinking it should be released any day now... icon_wink.gif

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(AgentLym @ Jun 3 2008, 06:50 AM) View Post

Shouldn't be too much longer, though. They've had build 798 out for a few weeks now. Plus, the new build has a BUNCH of fixed stuff in it. I'm thinking it should be released any day now... icon_wink.gif

People said that about 2.5 in December of 2006. icon_razz.gif With 2.5, never assume anything about release dates.

#7 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 3 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post

People said that about 2.5 in December of 2006. icon_razz.gif With 2.5, never assume anything about release dates.

Yeah, 2.5 was promised for Christmas 2006 and there's still no sign of it. icon_biggrin.gif icon_thumbsdown.gif
It's best if you prepare yourself so that ZC 2.5 will never be released to avoid disappointment.

#8 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Zelda and Pokémon Master •

• Members

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

Finally! Told you guys it'd be out soon! 809 came out just today! Finally I can make Warp Returns! icon_heh.gif

Just lettin you guys know! icon_razz.gif

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

YAY! *Goes to download*

#10 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

You guys do know you could've just opened your quests in an earlier build to do your warp returns, right?

'tis nice to have a new build though =P

#11 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what are these "warp returns" you are talking about? O_o

And sorry to sound so negative but a new build release does not mean we are any closer to the release of ZC 2.5. It seems that some bugs were fixed, but once again new and worse bugs have born... icon_wacky.gif

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

Oh, the blue warp return square that you place to designate where Link warps to the screen.

They miraculously dissapeared last build, but we have them back now.

There's one bug worse in this beta than there was in the last one, and _L_'s fixed it already.
Who said I'm waiting on 2.5 anyway?
The builds are currently stable enough for me to work in at least.
If I run into any bugs now, I report them and they usually get fixed within a month or so.
If 2.5 is released after my quest, I'll be very surprised.
So by the time I'm getting to releasing my project, there'll be a universal, stable platform for it to be played on.
The only problem I see with the betas is that there are too many different versions to really distribute a quest and expect people to play it; especially when there are still some people living in the dark ages on 2.10.

And yes, sometimes fixing bugs produces more bugs. Then you have to fix those ones icon_shrug.gif
Going and testing the program and helping to find bugs (or even learning C++ and getting on the development team yourself) would be more helpful than moaning about how 2.5's never going to be released.

#13 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

Indeed. Hell life is full of bugs, but we live with those. I can't speak, (Literally can't speak.) but I'm alive, and posting quite readily. You just have to suck it up and work around the bugs.

No. NO. Don't argue.

Work

Around

The bugs.

You lose far too much for waiting for things to be perfect. Jump on the fine chance that you have now, and build something amazing with it. If you find a game-stopping bug, then build something else that doesn't depend on the features with that bug.

#14 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:24 AM

Well Joe and ST, I hope that someday when you're building a new huge quest with these new builds, our brilliant developer Mr. _L_ goes and changes something big. Like, for example freeform combos or anything like that and says "oh btw freeform combos created in the earlier builds don't work anymore, you hjave to create them all from scratch again. Sorry but you were warned! K thanx bye!" then let's see how YOU would react...

But sure, go ahead an build your quests with the builds and release your quests for the builds, see if anyone plays your quests when they get tired of downloading thousands of different ZC betas and builds.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Jun 9 2008, 07:24 AM) View Post

Well Joe and ST, I hope that someday when you're building a new huge quest with these new builds, our brilliant developer Mr. _L_ goes and changes something big. Like, for example freeform combos or anything like that and says "oh btw freeform combos created in the earlier builds don't work anymore, you hjave to create them all from scratch again. Sorry but you were warned! K thanx bye!" then let's see how YOU would react...

But sure, go ahead an build your quests with the builds and release your quests for the builds, see if anyone plays your quests when they get tired of downloading thousands of different ZC betas and builds.

Been there, done that, pressed onward.

Unfortunately, I don't build quests for anyone but myself. What little I happen to make, I end up releasing because I'm too lazy to keep it to myself, and end up releasing my vomit-like substancial result of whatever creativity I had to the public.

If something breaks, I fix it. If it no longer works as expected, I find a way around it. If it can't work, then there's always General *****ing, and the "L" key on your keyboard works just fine sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users