Is Link Climbing a feature or a Script?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:14 AM

Octorock420' idea is great, can't deny that.

#17 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

I quite like it yeah, althought it wouldn't be hard to script it to do that anyway, and then you can also still use the flippers.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

If what I've heard in this thread about Lost Isle is correct, the method used in Lost Isle could be used as far back as version 1.90. The only feature available in recent versions of ZC that would be of further use would be the "no diving" quest rule/screen flag.

For the record, "no diving" is both a quest rule and a screen flag. The screen flag reads "toggle diving." So you COULD use screen flags alone, but then you'd have to check it on a screen-by-screen basis.

Anyway, it's a really good idea, but I can't give up the flippers just for that. icon_shrug.gif I guess I'll wait for someone to write a script, or something.

#19 octorock420

octorock420

• Members

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Twilight! And Radien there are creative ways around scripts depending on what you wanna do. You probably know that already, but as for me I'm not using a single script mainly for the fact that I don't understand how to implement them, nor do I want to learn. After creating in RM2K3 I'm completely sick of scripts..

#20 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:03 AM

I posted a script in this thread for climbing! come on!
It's also at AGN's script showcase aswell now!

http://www.armageddo...195#post1147195

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Oct 18 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post

I posted a script in this thread for climbing! come on!
It's also at AGN's script showcase aswell now!

http://www.armageddo...195#post1147195

Oh for crying out... how is that the ONLY post in this thread I seem to have missed? Well anyway, thanks; I'll give it a try sometime once a beta is released that's stable enough for me to upgrade again. icon_razz.gif

Edit:

Okay, I read it now. If it works, that's great, but it sounds like an enormous amount of extra work just to assign climbing combos. It would be more useful if it were linked to slow walk combos. Of course, that'd mess up ice combos if you're using the old-fashioned method of making them slow walk combos, so there'd need to be a way to disable it. Just an idea...

Edited by Radien, 18 October 2007 - 03:37 AM.

#22 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

This topic brought me on the perfect idea for the flippers, since I don't want the player to swim anyway.

#23 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

I could easily change it so that for every slow walk combo on the screen you climb, if you want Raiden? It'd take me about 15 minutes.

It'd only occur on screens with the FFC set, so ice wouldn't be a problem, unless you wanted ice and a ladder on the same screen.

#24 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

Overall, I still prefer to not let people climb, it can be annoying in some ways too.

#25 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

I don't like using the stairs as water tiles, first, link is just moving even when hes not, if you know what i mean. (get on a ladder, and stay still.)
Also, you can't swim in the game, if you do the ladder, bam, no swimming.

Well, all my quests need swimming so this is just mpov

#26 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Link has a "Treading water" animation, but you can set the tiles up so that he doesn't move at all when still.

#27 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:29 AM

You know Raiden, you've just given me quite an interesting idea.

If we can control Link's walking speed via a script (if so, how would I go about this?) then I could easily modify this so that while Link is on a relatively dormant, unimportant combo, say Left Statue or whatever, (we really need blank combos for scripting...) the effects of the script I posted earlier are applied, and Link's walking speed is reduced. Bingo, climbing. And the only set-up required on the screen would be to put your ladder tiles down, which are left statue or whatever nowadays, and stick the ffc script on the screen. It does everything else for you.

That is the kind of script I like. And it's what I've been writing recently also icon_smile.gif
I have shallow water that plays the splish sound, and tall grass that plays a sfx also. And I'm about 50% into writing a script for footprints in snow. I had one already, but I'm revising it and it's coming along very nicely.

#28 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

Done: http://www.armageddo...235#post1150235

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users