Is Link Climbing a feature or a Script?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

I noticed in DFW's Lost Isle Link climbing. Is that a script or a feature in ZQuest. (Already scripted)?

I need to know becasue I could use that feature for my side-scrolling dungeons.

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

All that was was making the water combos not even water combos, and giving Link invisible flippers (With no indication of such a thing in the subscreen; not even a place for them.) and making those stair tiles water combos that you could swim on, and then disabling the ability to dive.

#3 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

I always wondered that too...and wow...0_o. That sounds hard.

#4 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

Not really. It'd require a custom subscreen to hide the tile for the flippers pos. in the equip box. Then just make the tile blank and give the player the flippers in the init data..

Set the stairs as water.. disable diving either as a quest rule or a screen flag. (I forget which.)

Pretty simple, actually. Ingenious, even.

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

EDIT: Xav replied first, but this still stands.

I always wondered that too...and wow...0_o. That sounds hard.

Actually it really isn't. Again, all you need to do is the following:
  • Set the quest rule "Diving Disabled" to on so you can't dive.
  • Make new combos (Or modify existing ones.) that look like stairs or cliffs with climbing studs on them, and set them to unwalkable water combos.
  • Set your actual water SHORE combos to regular unwalkable combos.
  • Keep the internal water tiles as water combos. You just can't access them because the combos leading up to them (The shore tiles.) aren't water combos.
  • Give Link the invisible flippers from the get-go, usually via the Init Data menu. Don't put 'em in the subscreen. You don't have to.

#6 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

No wonder why flippers are not obtainable in Lost Isle.

#7 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Ok, I didn't know there was a rule to disable diving. Pretty cool, I love tricks like that.

#8 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, it looks nice in motion. icon_razz.gif But is there any way possible that someone could script this though. I would love to have a script of Link Climbing. I use the flippers in my game so I can't do that cool trick, however, it would be nice for a script to be made of this. Either way, I was just wondering if it COULD be possible for it to work just like this.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

A lot of cool things cn be done by manipulating water combos... I've even seen people use dive warps to have "Press A" only dialogue, as the dive warp exited without the normal "Press Down to Continue."

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

I don't think diving was disabled in LI, just the underwater animation was the same as the regular swimming.

I'm pretty sure you can dodge projectiles by pressing A while on the ladder.

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Oct 15 2007, 04:11 AM) View Post

Yeah, it looks nice in motion. icon_razz.gif But is there any way possible that someone could script this though. I would love to have a script of Link Climbing. I use the flippers in my game so I can't do that cool trick, however, it would be nice for a script to be made of this. Either way, I was just wondering if it COULD be possible for it to work just like this.

Oh Shoelace, I have a script for you icon_razz.gif

Well, ok, I didn't write it myself, CDawg wrote it for me, but yeah, climbing script:

CODE
ffc script climbing_dummy_item_first{
    void run(int top_left_x, int top_left_y, int bottom_right_x, int bottom_right_y, int max_y, int dummy_item_id){

while(true){

// Is the player within the rectangle specified in the data?
            // ----------------------
            if(    (Link->X >= top_left_x) && (Link->X <= bottom_right_x) &&
                   (Link->X >= top_left_y) && (Link->Y <= bottom_right_y) && (Link->Y >= max_y)){

if(!Link->Item[dummy_item_id]){ Link->Item[dummy_item_id] = true;}
                Link->InputA = false;
                Link->InputB = false;
        Link->InputL = false;

}else{

if(Link->Item[dummy_item_id]){ Link->Item[dummy_item_id] = false;}

}

Waitframe();
        } // end of while loop

} // end of void run
}

What this script does is: Designate an area on the screen. When Link walks within this area, he is given an dummy item with a link tile modifier that will change all of this walking tiles to up-facing. It also disables using the A and B buttons (and L for my purposes, because I have rolling). In the FFC you attach this to, you'd want to put the arguments:
1)the x coordinate of the top left corner of the ladder
2)the y coordinate
3)the x coordinate of the bottom left corner of the ladder
4)the y coordinate
5)the y coordinate of the top left corner + 8
6)the number of a dummy item that you've made that is just a link tile modifier, and nothing else.

I'm going to revise this actually, because it's not working perfectly at the moment, and I'll have the set up a bit more simple but that's basically it. The only problem is if you want more than one ladder on the same screen, you'll have to create another dummy item, but that shouldn't be too much hassle if you've already made one. And you have to set your Link sprites up properly obviously, but when it works it really works well. And you can still have flippers.

EDIT: Here is a less convuleted version of the script:
CODE

ffc script climbing{
    void run(int btrtx, int btrty, int dummy){
        while(true){
            if( (Link->X >= this->X) && (Link->Y >= this->Y) && (Link->X < btrtx) && (Link->Y < btrty) ){
                if(!Link->Item[dummy]){ Link->Item[dummy] = true;}
                Link->InputA = false;
                Link->InputB = false;
                Link->InputL = false;
            }else{
                if(Link->Item[dummy]){ Link->Item[dummy] = false;}
            }
        Waitframe();
        }
    }
}

You set the coordinates of the FFC to the top left hand corner of the ladder, the first argument is the x coordinate of the bottom right hand corner, the second argument is the y coordinate and the third argument is the number of the custom item that you've made with the Link Tile Modifiers.

Edited by Joe123, 15 October 2007 - 05:56 PM.

#12 octorock420

octorock420

• Members

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

Yes as in my quest this is possible (thank you LI) except I make it so when you "dive" it plays a custom animation of Link kinda letting go of the climbing surface and looking down over his shoulder to see how far up he is. Fun ZC tricks!

#13 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Hmm... upon looking at the subscreen. The "flippers" could've been the green tunic or the regular quiver. Then the upgrade on those would've just covered them up.

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

They could've just put those down as tile blocks and made the flippers invisble though

Edited by Joe123, 16 October 2007 - 01:48 PM.

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:35 AM

Yeah, but the method I mentioned is easier icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users