The Islands of Zelda

Photo

Construction Cones have been put away! ... Release?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

Hey, guys! :) I need your advice.

I've finished the brand new area in my Underworld that I described in the previous update. I've playtested it myself and caught a number of bugs, as well as made some battles harder. And yes, I've modified a few other things in the quest file as well, to include:
- Hiding more secrets in the Underworld itself
- Moving the gold ring so it isn't so easy to get
- Removing a heart container (in a side dungeon, not a main dungeon) so I could hide 4 more heart pieces
- Adding a (Top Secret!) hidden area accessible from the Desert Ravine (though I might let a screenshot from it slip for SoTW, if you're interested... :whistle: )

So, now that that's finished, I'm at that point of deciding what to do next, because I know there are some anxious players out there. Which would you prefer I do:
1. Playtest it again to make sure it's perfect before releasing it.
2. Release it now and let the players report any bugs (considering this quest has already been playtested a bunch of times, except for the new area{s}).

(See the above poll and vote. If you have any comments, post them below.)
Hmm, that's odd. I guess polls aren't allowed in quest project updates. :heh: Oh well. Please post your replies/advice below. Any advice would be appreciated. :puppyeyes: :D

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

I'd say release the quest and let us find any more bugs to report.

I REALLY want to play this now XD

Edit: Actually... I thought about it and lemme go with everyone else here, do one more beta test, who knows what you could find.

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 01 June 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:04 AM

Another wave of playtesting and polish never hurt. If you're gonna release one of the last 2.10 quests, might as well make sure it's as perfect as possible on release, right?

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

I'd say beta test some more, but it sounds like you're doing all the beta testing yourself. How about asking people to beta test for you? That's always a good idea because other people will do things you wouldn't do, since they're not you.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

Another wave of playtesting and polish never hurt. If you're gonna release one of the last 2.10 quests, might as well make sure it's as perfect as possible on release, right?

I have to concur with this: Don't release something that isn't finished, or properly tested.

You're under no pressure to rush it through the gate.

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

I say retest it. As much as I want to play this, I want to play it as bugless as possible.

#7 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Test. You can never test it too much. Also since some people only can use higher builds (like uhh myself), you might want to have some people test it in the latest build to see if it's playable without anything gamestopping. Looking forward to playing this one once it's out. Good luck the rest of the way and nice work.

#8 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Test it again :nerd:

• Avaro likes this

#9 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys! :)

Test. You can never test it too much. Also since some people only can use higher builds (like uhh myself), you might want to have some people test it in the latest build to see if it's playable without anything gamestopping. Looking forward to playing this one once it's out. Good luck the rest of the way and nice work.

Did this already!  Yeah, I made sure that at least one of my beta testers tried this in 2.50.  Still, ... :ahha: Maybe I should playtest this in 2.50 this time around!  I guess I might as well since I have to play it from the beginning anyways.  For the most part, I've been the sole tester in 2.10, except that one tester tested it in version 2.10.2 which is similar (but had inconsistencies with when the overworld map is view-able, oddly enough).  I guess it's high time I tried it in something else!

Thanks everyone! :D  I'm going to release a second Beta for my beta testers and start my 2.50 play-through.  Not sure how long it will take; hopefully not more than a couple of weeks, but we'll see.

• Eddy likes this

#10 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Alright, I'm looking forward to the release!

#11 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

Unpopular opinion time! Drop it now. I want to fucking play this.

#12 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

If you lack betatesters, release the final complete beta to the public. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people can't wait to play this, and they can help squeezing the bugs. Wait for some people finishing the quest, then you can upload the quest to the database after dealing with the new bugs.

I played the entire thing before, so it shouldn't be any biggie problem at least (except for the last additions).

Edited by Air Luigi, 06 June 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

Bug test the new changes. Just go over them one more time. Patience results in a better product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users