Would this be weird?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

I need some opinions. Do you guys think that it put be weird if you got the red tunic before the blue tunic? The way my dungeons are set up is like this:

1. Forest Temple - Standard Green Tunic
2. Fire Temple - Need Red Tunic to survive heat.
3. Water Temple - Need Blue tunic to swim.
(There may be a dungeon between each if I decide to add more.)

What could happen is that the fire and water temples switch order. The quest is early enough in planning, but it really bothers me that I would have to do this and redo some planning just for tunic colors.

Edit: Not sure if this sure go in the design forum or not.

Edited by Link75, 25 November 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

This wouldn't be weird. Just switch the red ring CSet with the blue ring CSet and there you go. You probably want to switch the game icon CSets accordingly, so that when you get the red ring, the game icon turns red, too, instead of blue. It is a nice concept to include clothes as neccessary items.

I was thinking about something such, but just because I like the colour "Blue" better than "red". However, I won't do it, after all.

#3 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

It's just I'm used to red being "better for the player." Red octorocks (enemies in general) are weaker than blue octos, red candle better than blue candle, even rupees. I thought it might be somewhat awkward.

I got the idea for required suits from listening to Twilight Princess music all morning while planning out everything.

#4 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

Wouldn't be weird, I mean, OoT did it and that's a good game. If you need any ideas on how you could work it all out just ask me, I had this all planned a while ago.

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

Make them into different items. You might even be able to equip them with scripting. Hmmmmm.

This is actually an interesting idea.
It would be simple to do, but it'd restrict the colours in your Cset because I don't think you can replace CSet6 with the ESP Cset via scripting.

Waaait. Yes you can icon_biggrin.gif
I am SO scripting this!

OK, script works like this:
Red tunic is a custom item with a script. When you equip it, Link is given a ring, which changes his palette to the ESP Cset, which may or may not give Link a defence upgrade, depending on whether you want it to or not. And you have an FFC script running in the fire area, which checks whether you have the item equipped, then, if you don't, it damages Link a set amount every second or so.
Blue tunic is the same, except it also give Link the flippers when you equip it.

Whacha think?

Edited by Joe123, 25 November 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#6 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

What might be easier for the Fire Tunic, is to make the floor damage combos, and just give Link the ring and the boots?

Edited by gray0x, 25 November 2007 - 12:19 PM.

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

True, that wouldn't be too hard to do.
I don't think it'd be any easier than doing it the way I said though, and then you can't use damage combos in that dungeon.

#8 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Nov 25 2007, 10:03 AM) View Post

Make them into different items. You might even be able to equip them with scripting. Hmmmmm.

This is actually an interesting idea.
It would be simple to do, but it'd restrict the colours in your Cset because I don't think you can replace CSet6 with the ESP Cset via scripting.

Waaait. Yes you can icon_biggrin.gif
I am SO scripting this!

OK, script works like this:
Red tunic is a custom item with a script. When you equip it, Link is given a ring, which changes his palette to the ESP Cset, which may or may not give Link a defence upgrade, depending on whether you want it to or not. And you have an FFC script running in the fire area, which checks whether you have the item equipped, then, if you don't, it damages Link a set amount every second or so.
Blue tunic is the same, except it also give Link the flippers when you equip it.

Whacha think?

You're really tempting me to upgrade to 2.11 or whatever. I was just going to make a simple four dungeon quest with this feature, but if you can do this...

The fourth (final) dungeon is going a shadow/light dungeon which required the gold ring/light or dark tunic. This item also let you see invisible enemies (amulet.) The only thing is that it boosts Link's defense so high. That shouldn't be a problem with scripting I assume.

QUOTE(gray0x @ Nov 25 2007, 10:19 AM) View Post

What might be easier for the Fire Tunic, is to make the floor damage combos, and just give Link the ring and the boots?

I was going to do this, but FFCs may be better if I decide on 2.11. The reason is, I want to have walkable lava.

Edited by Link75, 25 November 2007 - 12:25 PM.

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

Ooooh yeah icon_biggrin.gif
And a Gold Tunic that gives you the amulet! And you can reduce the damage reduction in the item editor. Great idea icon_biggrin.gif

Wait though, How do you check if an item is equipped via scripting. Oh dear. Big hole here >_<

I'm asking over at AGN, I'll see what they say.

EDIT: ugh, you can't do it. Sorry to get your hopes up, I'll keep this idea in the back of my mind until after the feature freeze. If you want to remind me then, I'll be happy to do it.

EDIT2: wait, this is still possible, if you press A to put on the tunic >_<
I'm stupid, of course you'd want to do that anyway, then you can use other items while it's on. Anyway, yeah, I'm going to do this, maybe this evening.
We'd probably want to have a green tunic though, yes?
Would that be preferable?

Edited by Joe123, 25 November 2007 - 02:33 PM.

#10 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:51 AM

Green tunic as equitable item... hmm. The problem about that is, it doesn't have any special ability. Well, it should be fine just for looks.

I'm glad you can do this. icon_thumbsup.gif

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:11 AM

Oh no, you wouldn't need a green tunic. I've written this script, but at the moment it'll be very very slow because it reset's Link's Inventory every frame. I'll try it out to see if it works first (because I haven't yet =P), then I'll get it to use switches so it's only checking for integer increments every frame rather than Link's Inventory.

#12 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

What happens to the green tunic when you get a new one then? It's gone forever? Better to just keep them all. Or was that not what you meant?

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:07 AM

Ah no, although you could keep a slot in your subscreen for it if you wanted.
When you get the blue tunic, it's an active subscreen item. You select it and press B, then Link puts on that tunic, and can swim. You select it and press B again, and Link takes it off, goes back to the green tunic, and can no longer swim.
When you get the red tunic, you use it, Link puts on the tunic, it removes the effect of the blue tunic if you were wearing it and now Link can survive in hot areas. When you use it again, Link goes back to the green tunic.
When you get the gold tunic, you use it, Link puts it on, removes the effect of both of the other tunics if Link were to be wearing them, and now Link can see invisible enemies. When you use it again, Link goes back to the green tunic.

It's working quite well at the moment for the most part. I've written the script, and I'm just testing for the blue tunic. When you put it on, Link is given the flippers and the blue ring fine, so now we have the toggle swimming, but his colours don't seem to change. I think this might be a ZC bug, and after a little more testing I'll report it if it is, hopefully it'll get fixed and I can move on and fix up the scripts nicely.

#14 Aaron1046

Aaron1046

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:23 AM

sounds like a lot of work.. Well good luck! this sounds soo cool icon_biggrin.gif
Some one should give you a meddle for all your fine work!

#15 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

The scripting itself is actually relatively simple.
And I think you mean a 'medal', meddle is when you fiddle with something. Thanks, but noone else around here gets medals and plenty of them do a hell of a lot more than me =P

The scripts work fine now, apart from a bug which means when you give Link a ring via a script, it doesn't change his palette. I've reported this at AGN and hopefully it'll get fixed sometime soon.

They're really nice to use though icon_biggrin.gif
Being able to toggle the swimming looks really cool, the damage whilst in a heated room script works great, then you can equip the tunic and turn it off, and you can also make the enemies visible and invisible with the gold tunic aswell, which is also quite fancy icon_smile.gif

I'm really pleased with these scripts, thanks for the great idea Link75.

They're going to require a little more fiddling (medaling icon_wink.gif) with to fix up so that they don't slow down the system, but it's going pretty good. I'll make them public once I've finished and the bug's fixed.

EDIT: OK, switches are done. They now work peferctly apart from the palette changes (which are obviously a big problem I know), however I can't really do much about that. Just got to hope that it is a problem with the system, rather than what's supposed to happen.

Edited by Joe123, 27 November 2007 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users