The Bible rocks!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

I had nothing to do in free period at school today, so I went to the library.
The book fair had closed, and when I looked at the shelves it all seemed like the same old same old, boring books I'd read before, or couldn't be bothered to read.

When I found nothing to do in the library I was just about to leave, but then I remembered one aisle of books I hadn't looked at. At first it seemed "I can never read these books. They're just for middle-aged women". Most were. Pride and Pejudice, The Rag Nymph, Catcher in the Rye etc ect...

But one book was larger than the others, and the protective cover had fallen off. I picked up the cover off the floor, and read, "The Old Testament.".

"The Tora," I thought.

I opened it and began to read. OMG WOW! I thought.

I cannot wait to start reading it again when I get back to school tomorow. It is so cool.

I had NO IDEA that the Garden of Eden was in Ethiopia! What do you guys think of the Bible?

Come on, just tell me icon_biggrin.gif.

Edited by Limzo, 28 September 2006 - 09:55 AM.

#2 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Pretty long, but pretty cool. You have yet to read all of the cool stuff, like moses' "let my people go" and it's plauges, and stuff like that that I can't remember. But it's ok, but the wording in the bible is not the kind that attracts me that much, so you won't really see me reading it on my free time.

Btw, why don't you pick up the full bible, with the new testament, too? If you can find it...

#3 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, the only book that people should read. If only the science books were burned to the ground and replaced with Bibles the prisons would be emtpy. icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT:

I spelled "empty" as "emtpy".

Edited by Daniel, 28 September 2006 - 05:12 PM.

#4 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Sep 28 2006, 10:55 AM)
At first it seemed "I can never read these books. They're just for middle-aged women". Most were. Pride and Pejudice, The Rag Nymph, Catcher in the Rye etc ect...

View Post

You've never read The Catcher in the Rye, have you?

#5 halenite

halenite

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 28 2006, 10:02 AM)
Yeah, the only book that people should read. If only the science books were burned to the ground and replaced with Bibles the prisons would be emtpy. icon_biggrin.gif

View Post

indeed. icon_smile.gif

and my mom's a science teacher XD

#6 NekoArc

NekoArc

trans catgirl extrodinaire

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:07 AM

read the book of Daniel, it get's pretty interesting with what happens to him and his friends

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

Why, would they all be employed in bible-making print shops or something? icon_blink.gif

Eh, the bible is cool and all, but I prefer to get my morals from real life. If you just observe things and think for yourself, there's a lot that can be deduced on your own. Unless you're purposely evil and cruel, a lot of peoples' behavior can be traced to how their own life treats them, and how they behave in terms of those conditions. If you're trained from birth via your environmental interactions that stealing helps keep you alive, then that's what you'll do.

Personally, I'm just glad that I'm past the point in my life where I get to look at situations like the Burning of S'daam, (Sodom.) the sacrifice of Yitzchak's son, (Isaac.) combined with Yaakov (Jacob)'s kindness towards Rachel and Leah, etc. When put together, it paints a very confusing picture. I just pick and choose what I think people would like to see, and try to mimic that behavior. Wouldn't make much sense to sacrifice something in God's name nowadays. People would call you a freak. o.o But holding the door for someone never gets old.

Otherwise, my own personal bibles consist of books like When The Wind Blows, The Nine Lives of Chloe King, etc.

Now, guys, we all know from past experience where religious topics have gone, so at the first sign of flaming or trolling, (And we're really cracking down recently.) this topic is getting shipped off to nowhere'sville, and people warned. Be cautious of what you say and how you treat others. Be open minded, and NEVER insist on what anyone else should do, religious-wise.

#8 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

Preferably, I liked the first four books of the New Testiment, about how Jesus lived and died and resurrected. After that, I liked Revelations, the coming of Armageddon on the plains of Megiddo and the four assassins chosen after the rapture to kill Antichrist by making him suffer a major injury to the head. I personally liked the King's books and the Exodus book in Old Testament as well.

I like reading some more history events from it from time to time. And I'm glad I follow it as my religion. icon_smile.gif

#9 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

The Old Testament they have at school is the King James Version, which is pretty easy to read. The wording all makes sense. The full bible I have at my house is the Good News Version, which is hard to read.

I do have a copy of the new testament, but it's an even harder to read one.

I like the cool stuff in the bible too Trip I fall. My favourite bible stories are: The Prince of Egypt, Joseph, The Birth of Jesus, and The Easter Story.

I think those bits are the best. icon_biggrin.gif

#10 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

Wow, now that I've seen this post, I don't feel so isolated, anymore. I'm a Christian, but I try to keep myself from being viewed as a religious freak. Rather, I try to get others to view me as basically another guy on the Internet. I have to say, there are some interesting stories in the Bible. My personal favorite would have to be in Joshua and Judges, where the Israelites fight the Canaanites to win back their land. First time I read Revelation, my heart just started pounding twice as fast as normal.

#11 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 28 2006, 10:02 AM)

View Post

Ever wonder how people got to the point where science is taught as it is today, totally against the Bible? I wish science wasn't against the Bible. It's the only reliable book I know!

#12 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 28 2006, 07:02 AM)

View Post

... I'm a Christian, and that statement STILL offends me -_- Because it's statements like that, that make non-Christians think 'THE ENEMY! They want to brainwash and make us dumb! They want to fight!' Stop inspiring this!

I wish people would stop trying to make religion and science fight against each other. It's beyond stupid. It's idiocy cubed. Religion and science are TWO CONCEPTS/SETS OF CONCEPTS. They do not contradict each other in any way. Specific points may have problems, but it's a two-sided argument.

I'm hoping that this statement won't fall on deaf ears. Because... it's something people need to understand! Think about it.

There is nothing wrong with science. Nor the learning of it. Just in the same way there is nothing wrong with religion, nor the learning of it. Anyone who tries to deprive people of either of these is doing evil in my eyes.

As far as the Bible, well, there's many ways to say things about it. In my beliefs, it's the word of God, however we don't know if it's complete and unchanged; People HAVE edited the Bible in the past, removing large sections. Whether they were removing good material or not I don't know.

At it's core, there is nothing bad about it; However, people attempt to misuse this word for their own personal gain, or the harm of others. That's where the problem lies. But this kind of problem lies in everything. Even in scientific achievements, such as atomic power (turned into the nuke, for example).

The Bible has a lot of moral significance, especially in the New Testament, what Jesus taught; Although I don't agree that science books being replaced with Bibles would 'empty out the prisons', I do believe that if about everyone followed what Jesus told people to do, the world would be well over fifty times as good a place.

And it's uncanny just how much of that stuff could be valid even 2,000 years from when the New Testament was written (meaning here and now), if you look into it enough...

Edited by Stungun, 28 September 2006 - 04:26 PM.

#13 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

All you need is to do is get people to think twice and the world would be 50x a better place. That's already an impossible task. I believe that Science and the Bible were hand-in-hand at one point, but then Darwin came and screwed things up.

I don't like to be on the offensive when it comes to my religion, because then people will think that Christianity is nothing but a bunch of church-goers who only praise God for an hour a week. Besides, I hate to annoy people.

I also don't believe that Bibles replacing Science books will do anything significant, due to my first paragraph. Look at Catholicism for example. I'm not the stereotyping kind of guy (and I used to be Catholic, as well), and just about everyone I met in a Catholic church looked like they wish that they could be somewhere other than there.

What REALLY gets me annoyed is the Athiests vs. Christians War in US. The Athiests are trying so hard to get rid of every ounce of Christianity that the Founding Fathers tried to base the country's existence on.

Lastly, WHAT HAPPENED TO MORALITY HERE, PEOPLE?! I don't see any decisions in the Government based on morality anymore. It's all about if it's legal or constitutional, or whatever. If you're not going to have Christianity in America, AT LEAST keep the moral ideas.

Edited by Animus01, 28 September 2006 - 05:01 PM.

#14 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm christian, but for the most part I get pretty bored reading the bible. I will read it sometimes but not enough to sit down for an hour or two and read through stories.

It just makes me fall asleep sadly, I wish it interested me.

#15 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

The Bible follows a good story, but that's all it is for me. I suppose I find it interesting how a large religion is based on it. As you can tell by my dull tone of text, I don't have too strong an opinion, but, "whatever floats your boat..."--if it's the Bible, go ahead. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users