Nintendo Hand-held announced: Nintendo 3DS

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:18 AM

Nintendo has finally announced a true successor to the DS called: The 3DS. Apparently, The hardware uses 3D technology without the need of using glasses. It says it will be launched on March 2011 and will preview the hardware this year in E3. I am pretty excited about this icon_smile.gif

Sources:http://ds.ign.com/ar.../1079233p1.html

Sources:http://gonintendo.co...y.php?id=118173

Sources:http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=390930

Edited by Christian, 23 March 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#2 catfriedrice

catfriedrice

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:49 AM

IGN users must not be as excited as I am right now. Course, my old DS Phat needs replacing soon.

#3 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

Assuming they mean "3D" as it is pictured in the Sci-Fi movies, I call shenanigans. And with that out of the way, there isn't much left to this press release. The backwards compatibility was a no-brainer, and didn't really need confirmation.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Wonder how expensive that one will be. Though I gotta admit that it's about time: The DS has been out for almost six years, just in several different forms. icon_heh.gif

#5 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

What does it mean "3D hardware"? I'm too sceptical to be excited. I think this is just IGN taking a leaf out of Nintendo Power's book.

EDIT:Never mind, just checked the website of my local Nintendo magazine. I'm still not excited 'til I get more info.

Edited by Banjo7J, 23 March 2010 - 10:53 AM.

#6 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

Well, more information is set to be revealed at E3 2010 so we will have to wait until then. I guess Nintendo wanted to hype things up for E3 and i guess they did .

#7 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Eh... it's been "rumored" (that is hinted at by Iwata) that the new DS will have the same graphic capabilities as the Wii. I wouldn't mind Wind Waker on a DS.

#8 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

^It would be nice to see a Nintendo system with graphics as good as the others for once. I mean, I'm gameplay>graphics and everything, but Nintendo doesn't need to keep sandbagging. icon_shrug.gif

#9 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see good graphics on a handheld too. But I don't really get the whole "Gameplay > Graphics/Graphics > Gampelay" argument. I just don't get why someone would buy a PS3 rather than the Wii just for the graphics. The graphics don't mean squat, I'm sure most of us here would play LittleBigPlanet if it had N64 & PS1 era graphics.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. It's about time Nintendo did great graphics. Backwards compatibility is also very nice. Can't wait to see it at E3.

#11 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

About time they announced the successor to the DS! I can't wait to hear more info on this thing... Should be interesting, at least.

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

After hearing this, I was thinking: A Nintendo DS with Gamecube graphics. icon_razz.gif

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Banjo7J @ Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM)  
Yeah, I'd like to see good graphics on a handheld too. But I don't really get the whole "Gameplay > Graphics/Graphics > Gampelay" argument. I just don't get why someone would buy a PS3 rather than the Wii just for the graphics. The graphics don't mean squat, I'm sure most of us here would play LittleBigPlanet if it had N64 & PS1 era graphics.
Why does people keep saying this? Graphics is everything. Graphics is immersion, and immersion is good. Graphics is good. Good graphics is awesome.

See, there's NO such thing as "gameplay over graphics". Graphics is a PART of gameplay. I'm not saying people should buy a PS3 instead of the Wii because of the graphical advantage, but if you look at the games it has, it actually has a lot bigger number of good games than the Wii does. There's a reason to buy a PS3 instead. I myself have all three consoles, so I don't really care. I play the games I feel like, but the Wii usually gathers dust. XD

Anyways, Dawnlight, the Wii has basically the same graphical powers as the Game Cube, so if Iwata wasn't playing with us, that's what we're getting.

#14 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Personally, I want a handheld console with one large screen rather than two tiny ones, like this will surely have if it's the successor to the DS. I don't even care whether it's a touch screen.

I would care less about the Wii having bad graphics if its motion sensor wasn't complete garbage as well.

Nintendo will continue to alienate fans of their franchises as long as they continue to keep their software proprietary to their ****ty consoles. Just because their new business model is all about casual gaming doesn't mean they have to drag everyone else along with them. They don't know who their fans are anymore, let alone listen to them.

I will continue to laugh at any "hardcore" Nintendo fanboys who think the Wii is the greatest thing ever to grace mankind.

#15 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

I'm pissed about this. Do all of Nintendo's systems have to have some sort of gimmick? Just give us a high quality console with a normal controller.

In my opinion, good graphics depend on what the game is intended to be. They don't have to be realistic. Take a game like Muramasa: The Demon Blade. If that game had graphics like uncharted, then it wouldn't be what it is. The creators still pushed the graphics and made them some of the best in that category. The thing that pisses me off with the Wii is that most games don't even try to go to their full potential.

Nintendo's target audience is 3-12 and 70-80, and that also pisses me off.

Edited by ZebraStallion, 23 March 2010 - 07:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users