Dungeon Wall Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

EDIT: I just realized this was in the wrong forum. I am so sorry I didn't read the forum thing that said "This is NOT for ZQuest help."

Okay, I'm using the default tileset and I have noticed a few problems with wall-thru and bombable walls. Simply put, when I pass through them, Link appears on top of it instead of underneath it. I talked to a friend and set those areas as overhead and they work fine. Except when there are jumping enemies; the end up going through the top of the room. Is there any way I can fix this issue so I don't have Link walking on top of the doorways when he goes from room to room but at the same time not have jumping enemies and a jumping Link end up being "underneath" the wall tiles? It only seems to be a problem with the northern wall section. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RedmageAdam, 23 January 2014 - 01:48 AM.

#2 alek

alek

posting on internet

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Try putting copies of the door combos set to overhead in the same position on Layer 5 or 6

Edited by crazyal02, 22 January 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#3 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Actually, all you need to do is change the combo (the one that should appear on top) type to "Overhead". It's that easy. :D

#4 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Actually, all you need to do is change the combo (the one that should appear on top) type to "Overhead". It's that easy. :D

That's the problem for the northern wall though. Jumping enemies and Link when he jumps will appear under it.

CrazyAl: I'll try your idea.

#5 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Oh, accidentally didn't see that. Then crazyal02's idea is probably better.

#6 FnrrfYgmSchnish

FnrrfYgmSchnish

Junior

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

You have the "Freeform Dungeons" quest rule turned on, right? Probably, since it seems to go on by default when starting a new quest most of the time.

Well, if you're using NES dungeon dmaps with standard NES dungeon door positioning (four possible doors, always in the middle, always on the edge of the screen), there's a really easy way to fix this: turn that quest rule off.  Then remove any Overhead combo types from your wall/door combos (they seem to be completely unnecessary for NES-style dungeon doors if you don't have "Freeform Dungeons" turned on.)  Now your north walls will only appear above things that are passing under them, which should just be Link since I'm pretty sure enemies never try to walk into the default dungeon doors.  Jumping enemies should appear above the wall/door to the north also, if I'm remembering right.  Not sure about Link jumping, though.

If you can't turn off Freeform Dungeons without breaking anything, then using layers (as suggested above) rather than Overhead combos might be the best way to go about this.  I'm not sure, I've mostly stuck to the standard "square room with four possible doors" shape, so I haven't really fiddled around with more unusual dungeon room shapes/door layouts much.

#7 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, I'll probably have to try layering since I have a few freeform dungeons in my quest. Would I be able to have it unchecked and have interior dungeons function as normal, or would they get screwed up?

#8 FnrrfYgmSchnish

FnrrfYgmSchnish

Junior

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hmm... I'm not sure.  I haven't played around with Interior maps enough to know off the top of my head what all the differences are between them and NES Dungeon maps, so I'm not sure if Freeform Dungeons being off would mess with them at all.

I know one of my boss rooms' one-way shutters magically turned into open doors once because I accidentally had the dmap for that room set to Interior instead of NES Dungeon, so I'd suspect that shutters at least aren't compatible with them... if none of the default NES door stuff works on Interior maps to begin with, then they probably wouldn't be affected much by the quest rule turning off.  Again, though, I'm really not sure.  Probably the best way to find out is to make a backup copy of your quest (just in case) and then test them out with the rule off to see if anything goes screwy.

#9 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

Sorry for a very delayed response to this thread. FnrrfYgmSchnish's suggestion ended up working out just fine for me. It didn't screw up my level 5 where I use both Interior and NES Dungeon style rooms. Thanks for everything man! Thread closed now that my issue is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users