New DoR NPCs

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:06 AM

I thought I would get into the spirit of things, and make some NPC sprites for the DoR tileset. They are loosely based off The Wind Waker and The Minsh Cap characters.

In order of appearance: Old man, Link's grandmother, Chubby kid, Boy in casual Link outfit, Aryll, Snotty faced kid.
IPB Image

Edited by jimmyb, 07 March 2009 - 04:29 AM.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

Heyyy, not bad. icon_smile.gif This is great in that they're all 16x16, which is good for people who don't want to upgrade to big sprites.

However, you only have unanimated south-facing sprites at this point... so in effect they're more like "Guys" than NPCs.

#3 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Look nice! icon_smile.gif Do you plan on animating them, and adding other views?

#4 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Yes, I do plan on eventually animating them for all four directions. But I am lazy, so I will do them when I do them. Don't be afraid to have a go at it yourself! icon_razz.gif

And for those wondering, yes, they are in CSet 6. This is because it offers more colours for the skin tones, which make them look more like the Link sprites and MC characters. I do realise that the CSet changes with the rings, but it's not like people dont change the clothes they are wearing. icon_razz.gif

Edited by jimmyb, 06 March 2009 - 04:56 AM.

#5 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:35 AM

Progress:
IPB Image
I updated the look of Aryll, she looks more like her WW counterpart now, and made Tingle and Beedle sprites. I also added north facing sprites for some of them. I'm not quite happy with how Tingle turned out, but that was the best I could get it. I'm not spending another three hours on him. icon_razz.gif

I'll keep making steady progress on them, and hopefully will cover most of your character requirements for your ZQuesting needs.

Edited by jimmyb, 07 March 2009 - 04:28 AM.

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:17 AM

I don't think there was anyone named Ariel in Wind Waker... and if you're referring to Link's sister, her name was Aryll icon_wink.gif

Anyways, there are pretty nice, actually. If you make tons of these, and not just characters already made, I might just use em, instead of Linkus's and his templates icon_smile.gif
Good work!

#7 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Mar 7 2009, 07:17 PM) View Post

I don't think there was anyone named Ariel in Wind Waker... and if you're referring to Link's sister, her name was Aryll icon_wink.gif

Haha, I thought her name was something like that. I was too lazy to go and check in the Wind Waker manual. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the support!

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(jimmyb @ Mar 5 2009, 09:09 PM) View Post
And for those wondering, yes, they are in CSet 6. This is because it offers more colours for the skin tones, which make them look more like the Link sprites and MC characters. I do realise that the CSet changes with the rings, but it's not like people dont change the clothes they are wearing. icon_razz.gif

Yeah, this has been an issue for awhile. Originally I thought that two skin tones was enough for all NPCs, and that Link was the only character who really got enough benefit from more skin tones for it to be worth the extra colors. (My character Serenia is also to blame... her hair shares colors with her skin, so she has a very tight brown gradient with very lots of similar browns. DoR tileset's Cset 6 is a little different, but it's based on Serenia's.)

However, recently graphics quality has been increasing on average as everybody learns to make better and better use of 8-bit mode and scripting. Consequently, Oracle sprites and early SNES RPG sprites no longer look good next to the most commonly used high-end ZC graphics out there. ZC could benefit from a tileset that was designed for a combination of 4-bit and 8-bit mode from the ground up, but so far all the tilesets out there have their roots grounded in the pre-8-bit days. Constructing a palette format isn't an easy task - it's very hard to determine how much of the ZC palette should rely on 8-bit mode to cover the most used colors, and which colors should instead be duplicated across CSets.

Anyway, not that this will affect the already-released version of the tileset, but I've been considering switching out either CSet 0 or 1 for a new CSet dedicated to sprites. I might use something similar to Linkus' new palette, but I'll have to review it carefully first before I decide.

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:40 AM

Wow.
These are great, I'll definately be using them.
The oracle sprites did indeed get old a long time ago.

Could you make a Goron too?

#10 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

Yeah, I'll do a Goron, I might start one now infact.

I aim to eventually complete sprites for most of the basic characters found in the Zelda series.

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Wow, don't forget the Zora. icon_wink.gif These still turning out nicely! Though I think you should have a version of Aryll without the flower dress, so it doesn't seem like a random WW cameo. icon_xd.gif

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

They look really good. How about making some Kokiris?

#13 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:29 AM

More Progress:
IPB Image
Just added a Goron, and north facing tiles for more sprites, as well as Left and Right sprites for the Old man. I'm now starting to work on Left and Right tiles, and hopefully will have completed more in a few days.

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Wow those look great. I really like the Goron =)

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

Wow. The Goron, Aryll, and that brown-haired kid under Link are really good looking. Nice work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users