EZGBZ 2.5 tileset

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#91 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Well, I had all the files ready last night (including no less than 9 screenshots, all converted from PNG to GIF format as per the submission instructions) but I didn't have the time to submit it to the database then. I was bummed when I found out that TS already did the site update before I could submit this. icon_frown.gif It's okay, though.

Anyway, it's done! I just finished submitting this to the database. Thanks to everyone who helped! If you helped me with specific things, I did my best to remember you and put you in the credits. Either way, I included in the credits: "Various Members of PureZC - Inspiration and support in helping me with this project" (or something along those lines).

King Harkinian, here's the result of your request (included with the submission screenshots, BTW):
IPB Image Overworld Subscreen, "Link's Awakening"-style, A+B select

IPB Image Dungeon Subscreen, "Link's Awakening"-style, B select only
At first, I had trouble fitting all the equipment items on the right side for the dungeon subscreen (compare the spacing between items with the overworld subscreen). But, I finally decided this design fit best.
Link's Awakening didn't have as many things on the Passive Subscreen but included them (e.g. number of keys) on the Active Subscreen. However, since ZC does have those things on the passive subscreen, I didn't bother including them on the active.
Let me know what you think.

Anyway, since the site update was yesterday, if you don't want to wait for the next one, use this link to get the submitted version of EZGBZ 2.5. Wait no longer! icon_smile.gif Enjoy.

#92 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

This is just great. The perfect GBC Zelda tileset. I will be converting my quest to this tileset. Thank you so much. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

#93 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

I decided to take a look at the latest download in this thread. I honestly hadn't noticed there was a beta release and apologize for that, since I would have mentioned the thing I'm going to mention.

There are many positive things you have done with updating Akkabus' work, Lightwulf. You managed to fix combo errors that existed in the old set, added support for a lot of 2.50 things, added tons of new graphics, and such. I applaud you for all of the hard work and I'd probably use this set if I have another Gameboy project in the future. icon_smile.gif

But there is one thing I have to ask: why did you keep the example screens? More specifically, why did you keep the combos and tiles of the example screens. In 2.50, a common thing I do is make use of Right Click->Scroll to Combo. But 100% of the combos on the example screens (which are honestly not that great) are useless. They are solely there for the example screens and cannot (and should not) be used in an actual quest (defeating the purpose of it being an example screen). But since they look exactly like usable combos, this can be very annoying to people that don't realize this at first.

Please. Please get rid of them and make some example screens that use the actual combos and tiles. That's one of the big problems I have with the original set and I was really sad to see that you kept it. icon_frown.gif

#94 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ Jul 15 2012, 03:36 PM) View Post

I decided to take a look at the latest download in this thread. I honestly hadn't noticed there was a beta release and apologize for that, since I would have mentioned the thing I'm going to mention.

There are many positive things you have done with updating Akkabus' work, Lightwulf. You managed to fix combo errors that existed in the old set, added support for a lot of 2.50 things, added tons of new graphics, and such. I applaud you for all of the hard work and I'd probably use this set if I have another Gameboy project in the future. icon_smile.gif

But there is one thing I have to ask: why did you keep the example screens? More specifically, why did you keep the combos and tiles of the example screens. In 2.50, a common thing I do is make use of Right Click->Scroll to Combo. But 100% of the combos on the example screens (which are honestly not that great) are useless. They are solely there for the example screens and cannot (and should not) be used in an actual quest (defeating the purpose of it being an example screen). But since they look exactly like usable combos, this can be very annoying to people that don't realize this at first.

Please. Please get rid of them and make some example screens that use the actual combos and tiles. That's one of the big problems I have with the original set and I was really sad to see that you kept it. icon_frown.gif

I dont see your problem to me the set and ALSO the example screens seem perfectly fine.

#95 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks, guys! icon_smile.gif

@Nick: Yeah, too bad you didn't notify me sooner. I'd completely ignored the map screens and focused on everything else. I'd figured I'd keep Akkabus' screens the same since it's his tileset, but then again, that doesn't mean I can't change things that don't make sense. I see your point.

@aaa2: No, he's saying that the combos used on the example screens aren't the ones you'd use in a quest. None of them have animations or even combo types. Heck, when I did mess with those combos a little bit, it was just to make some solid; Akkabus didn't even bother to set unwalkability on the appropriate combos.

I'll have to consider this for a further update. It might take a lot of work to find the matching combos for every combo on every screen. Then again, it seems some screens are just copy-and-paste versions of others but with a different pallette. So, who knows how long it will take?

#96 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

Oh well i still cant see the problem. Afterall noone will reuse the screens that were put.

#97 Three Pendants

Three Pendants

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

May I say sirs, (Akkabus and Lightwulf and others who assisted) that this tileset is amazing! I am... how do you say... artistically challenged and even in an 8-bit style I was intimidated when I tried to make my own sprites for my quest but with the Gameboy graphics it is done in such a fluid, subtle, yet powerful style that allows anyone of any artistic abilities to use! I think this tileset was just what I needed to really get energized for this quest. Thanks a lot fellows!

#98 Three Pendants

Three Pendants

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I've been using this for testing purposes and I noticed that the Hammer sprites are misaligned. When you swing to the left or right the wrong order of graphics are shown. I managed to fix it, by replacing the sprites to where they should be, but just thought I should let you know this in case you ever wanted to upgrade it.

Oh yes, also when enemies are defeated for a split second they leave behind an arrow as part of their death sprite. I don't think that's as intended.

#99 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Glad the tileset's working for 'ya! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, recently I've been noticing the arrow thing too. I think I just placed a tile where there's supposed to be nothing. Shouldn't be too hard to fix (either of them); I'll get on it tomorrow.

Just so everyone knows, I will be uploading an update soon. If there are any other bugs you may have noticed, please let me know soon.

#100 Three Pendants

Three Pendants

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Nov 1 2012, 04:58 AM) View Post

Glad the tileset's working for 'ya! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, recently I've been noticing the arrow thing too. I think I just placed a tile where there's supposed to be nothing. Shouldn't be too hard to fix (either of them); I'll get on it tomorrow.

Just so everyone knows, I will be uploading an update soon. If there are any other bugs you may have noticed, please let me know soon.

Maybe I'm just not savvy enough (very likely) but there seems to be very few water options and those that are there seems to have jagged edges which create a jarring effect where one would decide water should curve. Of course it's a good possibility I'm just missing some tiles that would make that look better.

Glad to hear an update is forthcoming, I really enjoy this tileset immensely!

#101 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Three Pendants @ Nov 2 2012, 12:35 AM) View Post

Maybe I'm just not savvy enough (very likely) but there seems to be very few water options and those that are there seems to have jagged edges which create a jarring effect where one would decide water should curve. Of course it's a good possibility I'm just missing some tiles that would make that look better.

Glad to hear an update is forthcoming, I really enjoy this tileset immensely!

That's a problem limitation of the GB set. Nintendo (or Capcom?) only made this many water tiles because the Gameboy was very limited and space came at a real premium back in those days. For the overworld, use the "raised transition" combos (Page 1-2?) to border the water with. In dungeons, there is not much choice but to slap the combos down and put floor borders around where the water meets the floor.

#102 Three Pendants

Three Pendants

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Glad to hear it's not just me. I've done about 20 screens worth of world building using the set, but maybe I should also look at how LA/OOA/OOS handles barriers and transitions. I have it down for the first area, but past that I think I'll need to follow by example.

Edited by Three Pendants, 01 November 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#103 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(Three Pendants @ Oct 30 2012, 12:04 PM) View Post
I've been using this for testing purposes and I noticed that the Hammer sprites are misaligned. When you swing to the left or right the wrong order of graphics are shown. I managed to fix it, by replacing the sprites to where they should be, but just thought I should let you know this in case you ever wanted to upgrade it.

Oh yes, also when enemies are defeated for a split second they leave behind an arrow as part of their death sprite. I don't think that's as intended.
Okay, I fixed the issue with the arrow sprite by moving it to another blank area.
It doesn't make sense, though, because the enemy death sprite animation is set at 2 frames, not 3; I don't understand why it would flash the following tile at the very end... unless it's hard-coded to do that??? Wish I knew...

Anyway, I didn't see a problem with the hammer when I tested it out, other than that the diagonal sprite wasn't high enough. I went ahead and raised the diagonal hammer tile as high as it could go (only 3 more pixels).
Is that all you were referring to? (It sounded like your problem was worse than that.) If not, please tell me what version of ZC you are using. You could also post a screenshot or two here, maybe one of how you currently have the hammer sprites on the tile page.

#104 Three Pendants

Three Pendants

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Ah, glad to see you got the death sprite figured out.

Strange that you had no issue with the hammer. I'll grab a screenshot of how I have things set up.

I am using ZC 2.5 RC4.

IPB Image

The blue and more extended hammer is what is altered to work correctly.

The 2 hammers above it are both misaligned and the order of sprites, from this view anyhow appears incorrect.

#105 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hmm, well I redownloaded EZGBZ 2.5 from the database (even though I already have a copy) and opened it in ZQ 2.5 RC4. This is what I found:
IPB Image

This leads me to conclude that you may have accidentally moved the tiles around, probably when copying them to make other versions of the hammer. Either that, or something you did caused a bug to occur which moved the tiles, though I don't think that's likely since 2.5 is much more stable in that regards than previous versions.

Thanks for reporting this anyway. I didn't realize before that something was wrong with the middle sprite of the left- & right-facing hammer sprites: the hammer barely appears above Link's head (well, above & to the side). I'll have to play with it some more to make sure I have the correct alignment before I submit the update. Edit: I just fixed it; I moved the entire sprite to the top right edge of the tile, and now it looks right. It will be included in the update.[/Edit]

BTW, I just noticed that your last 3 rows of hammer sprites are set up just like your top one; you might want to fix those to match the two preceding rows.

@Everyone: If you have any alternate (GB) graphics for item sprites, there is plenty of room on the item sprite pages to add them. The Classic 2.5 tileset has lots of alternate item graphics, but EZGBZ doesn't; I would like to add them so that the questmaker has options to choose from. Just let me know and send me sprites so I can add them.
(For example, Three Pendants has made alternate hammer sprites; I would just need his permission to add them and a tile page export so I could properly import the graphics into the quest file.)

Edited by Lightwulf, 02 November 2012 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users