an idea I've been thinking of

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Well, as you are aware, I've been making an NES styled tileset, and I'm also making a game with it, too.

I'm trying to make an interesting, yet non-cliched as possible, RPG where things aren't always going to be right in front of you, story isn't clear at all until the end, and several endings. Most of all, I'm trying to combine elements from both the Legend of Zelda, and other action RPGs, with Final Fantasy, and other turn based RPGs into a soup of really interesting ways to play.

Story goes that long ago, 4 hidden relics where hidden to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. The King has issued for 4 great adventurers to go and find them, as the King is a greedy warmonger and interested in world domination.

So, you, Young -insert name here- are the greatest warrior in the land, and you've assembled the greatest Rogue, Wizard, and Monk to aid you on your quest.

Basically you start out pretty bad-arse, but you have a small arsenal of weapons. Being theres no level system, only thing you have to worry about is getting more money and better gear.

Theres much more to the story, which I won't get into. Most RPGs have you unknowingly help the bad guy, I broke from that and made you know who you're working for, but later on, you can have a choice of either helping him finish, finish him and take over, or finish him and erect democracy over the monarchy, or something like that. All endings will be realistic, just a lot of things that happen in the story are not(almost as if it was an exaggerated tale told by an old man icon_razz.gif)

The game isn't going to be linear, and there will be a choice to go wherever you want from the get-go, except for the areas outside "Dominated Territory."

Outside that, there will be many perils that require you to have specific equipment to pass, like the raft, or the hookshot, or even the lens of truth. Stuff like that.

You will have about 2 dungeons each that hold items required to pass to an area where a relic is hidden. Each relic can be used only by a certain party member, there is a Legendary Bow, Two Legendary Swords, and a Legendary Spell. Each do massive damage. The weapons have special moves.

I already said one of the legendary swords will be the Master Sword, and the other legendary items, except the other sword, will be Nintendo references. The other one was the only idea that came to mind for a Monk.

Edited by Alestance, 26 June 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#2 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

that sounds like a ps1 game i played, Legend of the Dragoon. I want to do a sequel to it in ZQ when i can.

i hope it turns out well. i like RPGs.

#3 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

Those are some great ideas. Anything different from the traditional save-the-Princess adventure works for me.

So, you play as a party of four characters... Does this mean this game will have selectable characters, each with different abilities? And if so, will you be able to change characters whenever you want, or at the beginning of the game you pick the one you play as the whole way? Either of those are good, obviously, because selectable characters is something that's brand new to the ZC world in the grand scheme of things. My first 2.5 Quest is gonna have selectable characters.

Also, when are you planning on starting this project? I thought you had one of your own already in the works... Some people can work on 2 at a time, but not me. icon_wacky.gif

Anyway, yeah, this sounds awesome. I wish you luck with it, whenever you're ready to start.

Edit: Oops. I misread some of your post. icon_doh.gif

Edited by Schwa, 26 June 2008 - 10:16 PM.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

you won't be able to chose which characters you have, but I probably will make it that characters follow you like in Earth Bound. You'll only have those 4 characters throughout the game, and there will be equipment specific to them, or just general. Certain weapons and armors could be used by everyone.

And, I've made 3 revisions to the post, so you probably didn't misread anything.

Edited by Alestance, 26 June 2008 - 10:19 PM.

#5 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

*checks*

Legendary Weapons, eh? Okay, so the Master Sword goes to the Warrior, the Bow obviously to the Rouge, the Spell goes to the Wizard, so... wait, that can't be right. I thought Monks use martial arts to attack, never any held weapons. Giving him a sword would be conflicting to many RPGs. I say change it.

You could give him the Legendary Bracers, Glove or Knuckles and probably get away with it... In Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, the White Monk class were allowed to use Knuckle-class weapons (they were gloves with spikes on them)... May want to research this more.

#6 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

not being too cliche was something I was going for. Also most clerics use maces, but I couldn't think of a legendary mace, except the Ancient Mace in Runescape, which... is very weak icon_sweat.gif

But regardless I want for a sword, and its a holy sword, which is why it makes sense in my mind.

Schwa: Final Fantasy monks are like Shaolin monks. They practice martial arts their whole lives, and stuff. I'm thinking of a Monk as in a Priest/Cleric, with which they fight with holy light and their God's love aids them. These Monks are great doctors, as well.

Edited by Alestance, 26 June 2008 - 10:35 PM.

#7 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

the light force, the power that drives the soul. your monks could use sheer spiritual energy.

#8 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

But we already got something from Zelda icon_neutral.gif Unless the Light Force is from another game. If there is something similar in another game, we'll try that. Else, I'll keep it a sword and keep it what it is now, or make it Excalibur or something.

#9 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

why not use something original?

... or...

a dragon soul. it awakens the ferocity of one's own soul and allows them to use the most of their spiritual power.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Because I'm poking fun at Nintendo a lot in here icon_rolleyes.gif

Perhaps the Monk can use Vampire Killer.

Edited by Alestance, 26 June 2008 - 11:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users