How's my GB Town look?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Zelda and Pokémon Master •

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

Well, I'm fairly new at using the EZGBZ tileset (as if it took a lot of time to learn icon_razz.gif ). And, here is my town map.

TOWN MAP

As you may or may not have noticed, I really tried to keep with the Oracle style. (notice the ledge near the middle-top of the town icon_razz.gif ... And YES you CAN jump off that ledge! That's the cool thing about the GB style. Most ledges are unjumpable, so not too much work on my part! icon_heh.gif )

It looks pretty ok to me, but I don't know how it would look to others. Keep in mind, you CAN talk to all those people, animals, and signs. You can't walk behind trees, but you can walk behind statues.

Well, any tips you guys might have for me? (Don't be too harsh on me! icon_razz.gif )

Thanks!

#2 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

Not much going on, but then again, it's a town. icon_smile.gif

Looks swell. icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000

Junior

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

It's good but kind of empty.

#4 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

That destroyed house on the left-hand side is missing its roof. Apart from that, it's nice but too empty.

#5 masterofpigs

masterofpigs

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

This town is very empty.
You have made the interior of the houses in another layer? Or did the same in the interior of the overworld map?

Edited by masterofpigs, 16 June 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#6 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, I did notice it was kinda empty... I don't like sticking a bunch of flowers, though. It looks tacky.

And, the run-down house is missing its roof cause the screen cuts off right there. icon_razz.gif

You have made the interior of the houses in another layer? Or did the same in the interior of the overworld map?

What do you mean? The town is in an Interior Dmap, and I had extra space, so I made another Interior Dmap for the houses. I just used the same map. icon_razz.gif

Alright, I'll see what I can do. I'll tell ya'll how it goes!

Edited by AgentLym, 15 June 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#7 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

Nice work. Try adding some grass variety and maybe some more village-like objects, whether it be fences, a weather vane, etc.

Noticed at the bottom, too, the bottom center that is, that there's a mountain error.

#8 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

Its nice but very bland and open, not to much detail.
Great start though, just add more detail and such.

#9 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

It's the extreme boxiness layout of the trees and almost the mountains that make it seem bare. I also noticed that all of your trees are in nice neat rows. Break that neatness and put them into round-random shaped clusters, and spread them out for a more natural look. You should also do that for the yellow ground areas (dirt), which on your map seems restricted only to border trees and to be used as paths.

#10 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

i like what you did with the mountain/water edges. and i like the cat house. ^_^

#11 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:56 AM

It looks AWESOME, but you seriously need to put a lot more houses on the map. Not all the houses don't have to be enter-able, but several should be, and the Guys inside should of course just give you some flavor dialouge, and perhaps even a few "hints" about later parts of the game. And don't give me the "it's too much work to put all those houses and Tile Warps in the town" excuse. If you're serious about making a Quest, you won't mind the extra work.

I think that having to make all the interior rooms may be one reason people generally don't design big towns in Quests. Or at least I don't. icon_heh.gif

Edit: I took another look. Never mind what I said. Just add ONE house, in the lower-right corner of the map.

Edited by Schwa, 16 June 2008 - 04:58 AM.

#12 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:09 AM

Town is very empty, but I absolutely love your interiors! Looks good, keep it up.

#13 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

well...! some peoples talking about emptynes
it's true but for me is better that way, no to many obstacles!
beautiful design though

#14 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

I've got it. How you can keep it the same, but in the end have it all filled up.

First off, cut off the column of screens that include the statue and weathervanes. You don't need 12 screens for town; 9 should do well enough. relocate whatever you really need from those screens onto others.

Next, keep it as is. This is a "rapidly growing" town; a simple script that counts Triforce pieces (or whatever, since a simple item script can simply add to a global variable when obtained) can change the village into a town into a city while Link goes on his adventure. The script simply changes the warp when a certain amount of Triforce pieces or as such are obtained. Now, scripts can change combos, so setting up a row of special combos that use all four Warps (A, B, C, and D) shouldn't be that hard. Next set up the three or four stages of the town, and finally set the Tile Warps that use A on the edges of the screens before going into town, and that should do it.

#15 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

Alrighty! Here is my new town:

IMPROVED TOWN

How's it look now? I know I didn't 'randomize' the trees very much... sorry 'bout that. But the trees are right on the boundaries of the screens. They are mainly there to give the town a.... game boy-ish feeling. I think it looks very good while you are actually playing the game. You (or at least, I) don't notice the trees are in a line or stuff like that.

Does it look any better? icon_heh.gif

And, sorry Linkus, but... I don't know if I'll be able to implement the 'growing town' idea. This town will only be part of the game for maybe the first 3 levels, but then you'll travel to another part of Hyrule. (at least, that's what I have planned icon_razz.gif )

But, the town's not too big, right? Just think of the top left as a little neighborhood, but the whole area is part of the town, mostly just because it's cut off from the rest of the land mass by the Sea and the forest and stuff like that.

What do you guys think?

========EDIT========

Sorry for the lack of quality on my last uploaded pic. This one is better.

Edited by AgentLym, 16 June 2008 - 02:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users