Photo

What is it with you people? No disrespect intended.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 WoooBlaaa

WoooBlaaa

Initiate

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

I'm sorry, but, I have a life. I have not completed the original game with no sword or no rings or no items whatsoever. So please, to all quest designers out there, Please keep this in mind. Every quest I have tried but one is rediculously difficult. I'm sorry to rant and rave but seriously, again I have a life, I am not an expert that can predict the future, nor do I magically know where everything in your quest is without some sort of clue or hint. Exploration is fine but if I have to play for 2 hours before I find the wooden sword it's rediculous. And please, if you are going to stop me from getting the magic shield, please please please don't put me in a room with 4 statues shooting at me, while contending with wizzrobes and darknuts, equipped with only a wooden sword and boomerang.

I've been designing my first quest, and have playtested it through. I've tried my best to make sure it's fun, a little challenging, but above all else fair. I'm not a profesional game designer, and I don't even know ZQuest in and out, again I have a life. But it stands to reason that as a designer you need to keep in mind fairness, not torture. If you're going to design a rediculously difficult quest, give me some sort of warning so I know what to expect. I know the original game pretty good, I'm not the greatest Zelda player in the world but seriously, I'm good enough to know that if I can't get past your level 2 without dying 20 times then something is wrong, and it's not with me. I'm sorry but a wooden sword and boomerang with 5 hearts and no magic shield cannot stand up to 4 statues, wizzrobes, darknuts, levers, and a gleeok. Rant over, I apologize. Back to something else. Like not playing you're rediculousy difficult, un-entertaining pointless to try anymore quest. Program deleted, thank you.

#2 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

My quest isn't going to be so extremely hard and annoying like most. I've been thinking the smae thing. Nowadays people worry about it being "too easy." I mean, look at Minish Cap for an example! It's a great game even though it's pretty easy! I don't think I have ever beaten a custom quest without using a cheat code.

edit: But I don't agree that people have play hard quests have no life. Not at all true. hey just like to be challenged.

Edited by ZebraStallion, 02 June 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#3 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

Dude, take it easy. The custom quests here vary widely in terms of difficulty, and in reading the comments you can usually get a pretty clear idea what you're in for. A lot of quests give you the sword almost immediately and have a difficulty curve similar to that of the original. Sure if you start with Armageddon Forever, Demo EX or some of DFW's more advanced efforts you're going to struggle, but, there are plenty of highly playable quests in the DB for players of all skill levels.

And some people really like tough quests. It doesn't mean they have "no life." Your rant is as condescending as it is nonsensical. If you'd like some recommendations for easier quests many here would be happy to oblige, but, you may want to go about it a little more diplomatically. Considering you intended no disrespect I'd say you did a pretty good job of disprespecting a fairly large portion of the ZC community.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(WoooBlaaa @ Jun 2 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post

If you're going to design a rediculously difficult quest, give me some sort of warning so I know what to expect. I know the original game pretty good, I'm not the greatest Zelda player in the world but seriously, I'm good enough to know that if I can't get past your level 2 without dying 20 times then something is wrong, and it's not with me. I'm sorry but a wooden sword and boomerang with 5 hearts and no magic shield cannot stand up to 4 statues, wizzrobes, darknuts, levers, and a gleeok. Rant over, I apologize. Back to something else. Like not playing you're rediculousy difficult, un-entertaining pointless to try anymore quest. Program deleted, thank you.

May I suggest a few quests for you then?

Easy quest
Eckland
Molka
End of time
...umm that's all I can think of that are easy. XD

Best to stay away from any of my quests(demos) too, as they are ridiculously hard.

#5 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hey, if you don't like Hard Quests, stay away from 'em. I agree with you that too many quests are way too hard. Just find some easy ones.

There are a good amount of good, easy-as-Nintendo quests.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

Like Gleeok said, End of Time and Molka are both fun, fairly easy quests you can play. There are several easy ones too. If you want a really creative one try Hero of Dreams. It's a little hard, but if you explore, you'll never find yourself in an impossible situation like the ones you described, or at least not until level 8. icon_smile.gif

#7 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

I actually found Molka kinda hard, especially at the end. Level Almost 10 in Molka is one of the hardest dungeons I've ever finished. The level 9s are hard too.

Some quests I really liked that didn't seem overly difficult:

Link's Birthday
Return to the Dark World
Turnabout
Link in Cestria (at least in terms of the combat - it has hard puzzles)
Fragments of Power
Castle Haunt I

Reclamation has an easy mode, as does Link's Decision. There are also a number of good 1st quest remakes if you like the first quest and want to play it with some new graphics and features. I don't know what quests you tried, but, judging by your post, it seems like you went straight for some of the toughest ones.

#8 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

90% of my quests you will hate find hard since you are that bad inexperienced of a player. So I suggest that to preserve your sanity save time, not to try them at all.

And if you couldnt' figure it out, this entire post is a joke. icon_razz.gif

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Jun 3 2008, 09:44 AM) View Post

90% of my quests you will hate find hard since you are that bad inexperienced of a player. So I suggest that to preserve your sanity save time, not to try them at all.

And if you couldnt' figure it out, this entire post is a joke. icon_razz.gif

Not entirely. Your quests do tend to be insanely hard at points.

#10 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 3 2008, 09:59 AM) View Post

Like Gleeok said, End of Time and Molka are both fun, fairly easy quests you can play. There are several easy ones too. If you want a really creative one try Hero of Dreams. It's a little hard, but if you explore, you'll never find yourself in an impossible situation like the ones you described, or at least not until level 8. icon_smile.gif

??
??
Did you called "molka" an easy quest???!!?!?!??
did schaw heard what you just, said???
I better stay out of the way on this ...!

#11 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Eh, I actually agree that Molka is, well... I wouldn't say easy, but it is a bit relaxed in difficulty compared to other Quests. It does get grueling around Level Almost 10, and even Level 6 is pretty tough, but Levels 1 and 2 start the player out at a nice pace. IMO the puzzle solving (i.e. overworld statues, grave puzzles, etc.) is the main attraction here, though that part's kinda lenient too until later.

No need to delete ZC off your hard drive just because of that though... I disagree with your statement about us needing to get lives. We have lives. For some of us, ZC is our life. For some of us, ZC is just a pasttime and we have other passions instead that are our life. With me it's anything computer related, ZC included. Just because ZC is someone's life doesn't mean they don't have one.

Though I do respect you for sharing your opinions... So many people are scared to do that nowadays. As if we're all communists or something. @_@

Give Molka a try? You might like it. ^_^

#12 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Before just jumping to conclusions that all questmakers are out to get you, know this. Most are making the quests for themselves and THEN everyone else if they'd like to play it. At least that's how I thought of mine. Some are designed to just kill kill kill you over and over again, but most people will at least mention that it's a difficult quest of some sort.

To use others' quests for examples:
Which sounds more difficult Triforce Peril, Castle Haunt, or Hidden Duality: Extreme Edition?
Or more importantly, what is it that you are looking for: challenging your fighting skills, your puzzle skills, or just to play something? If you can't decide, read the reviews as mentioned earlier. If too many people are harping/praising the difficulty being too great, maybe it's not for you. But it doesn't mean others that do enjoy it don't have a life. Maybe it's you that doesn't have any skills or the hand-and-eye coordination of an infant?

As also mentioned earlier, maybe just try asking for recommendations instead of insulting everyone. If you'd like a fun easy quest just ask people.

My recommendation for a fun easy quest is Triforce Peril. http://www.purezc.co...e=quests&id=219 It is insanely easy, but it is rather entertaining. It makes the original LoZ look very difficult, but it's still good. There's another one by Iparallele http://www.purezc.co...e=quests&id=220 that's about 4 levels long and has nothing so far to do with the triforce. Pretty nice little story too to get you hooked for the sequel.

See, now was that so hard?

Edited by jerome, 03 June 2008 - 01:04 PM.

#13 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

It feels like players these days have no skill and patience anymore. It is impossible to satisfy all gamers. I try to make my games average difficulty so that it would be just perfect for as many people as possible, but still I get lots of comments from hardcore players saying the quest is too easy and then these players with poor skills or patience whine that "your quest is impossible!!". Sigh. That's just the way it is, no offence but it sounds like that the thread starter couldn't even beat a childishly easy game like Wind Waker....

#14 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

it burns Peteo, it burns! LOL

<_<
>_>
*huggles*

#15 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

No quest is for everyone. No program is for everyone. Ranting will get you nowhere you strive to be. I know you want help, no matter how many times you mention that you have a life, which can still mean a lot of things depending on your personal definition of "having a life". We generally get it, though. If you didn't want help, you would have already deleted ZC and never made this topic to begin with. Here are some better alternatives to ranting:

1. You can ask for suggestions, as people have voluntarily done in this topic, because we do have a lot of nice people here. Use those suggestions to help find a quest that you may possibly enjoy.

2. Don't listen to people but go fish for something anyway.

3. Give up and seek another hobby.

4. Have so much of this life that you say you have, to the point that you don't have any time for recreation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users