The Game of "Mafia"

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:32 AM

Okay, so I'm repurposing the first post here to hold the sign-up sheet. We need an odd number of players in order to play. icon_smile.gif To sign up, please PM me or post in this thread (or, better yet, both). If we get too many players, you'll get first shot and game #2. I'll keep running games as long as people are interested!

The tentative rules of the game are in one of my posts further down in the thread. Once we start, I'll repeat the rules in the first post of the thread, including what character roles will be used. So, here's the sign-up sheet:

Game #1:
  1. Russ
  2. Blaman
  3. Sheik
  4. Daemon
  5. Zenith
  6. Alestance
  7. Cosmofield
  8. franpa
For the first game we're going with 8 players. We may play with even more people in later games. icon_smile.gif Each game is self-standing so you can join in on later games or leave after the first game; whatever you prefer. If you are one of the "winners" in a game, I'll give you priority in the next game if you want to keep playing.

[ORIGINAL FIRST POST:]

Lately I've been looking into a game called "Bang!", which is a spaghetti Western card game where you have to figure out who your enemies are by their actions. While looking around, I read something noting that the game was based on Mafia, a group game which I have played, and it renewed my interest in Mafia.

You could say that Mafia is a party game. It's not a board game or a card game; you can play it simply by drawing lots to secretly determine who are "mafia" and who are "innocents." Mafia members make up about 1/3rd of the group. Once the game has started, each round everybody puts their heads down, and the mafia members choose one player to "assassinate." After everybody looks up again, it's up to them to figure out which people are members of the "mafia" and eliminate them with a mob vote.

What's interesting about Mafia is that you spend most of it debating about who is "in" on the conspiracy. icon_smile.gif The game was created by a psychology professor, and it's designed to mess with your heads.

One nice thing about Mafia is that it CAN be played online, either in a chat room or on a forum. In fact, private messages are extremely useful for running the game (it works best with a moderator). I think it would be fun if we got a game started here on PureZC, for that matter.

Edited by Radien, 17 October 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:39 AM

Oh, yeah I know that one. I don't know the exact reules anymore but I remember playing this with my cousins back in the day. We called it "murderer", though.
There are alternatives where you don't only have murderers and innocents but also doctors, who can make a previously assasinated innocent "live" again. The docors are also anonymous and the murders will of course try to find out who the doc's are, because they make their job harder.

#3 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

I played the game once online and once in real life. There certainly are many variations to the game, generally just from different jobs.

A game here on PureZC would be pretty fun, maybe someone should start one?

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Oct 5 2010, 03:39 AM) View Post
Oh, yeah I know that one. I don't know the exact reules anymore but I remember playing this with my cousins back in the day. We called it "murderer", though.
There are alternatives where you don't only have murderers and innocents but also doctors, who can make a previously assasinated innocent "live" again. The docors are also anonymous and the murders will of course try to find out who the doc's are, because they make their job harder.

I've been working on the rules for a version to play at a Halloween party, so yes, I'm familiar with some of the variants. Bringing a player back to life seems awfully powerful, though. I prefer the "Bodyguard" role, which can protect a live player each round, rather than resurrect a dead one.

"Mafia" is the original name, but some other popular names are "Murderer," "Assassin," and "Werewolf." They all work fine, but I prefer the original name of "Mafia."

QUOTE(Daemon @ Oct 5 2010, 05:02 AM) View Post
I played the game once online and once in real life. There certainly are many variations to the game, generally just from different jobs.

Yes, I have a long list of possible "jobs" (I call them "characters" or "roles") that can be used in the game. icon_smile.gif Some are quite crazy. I think it'd be best to start with the simpler roles and keep adding more as we go along.

It takes longer on forums, and everybody has to visit regularly for it to work, but it sounds like it works pretty well.

QUOTE(Daemon @ Oct 5 2010, 05:02 AM) View Post
A game here on PureZC would be pretty fun, maybe someone should start one?

Well, I'd love to start one. I just want to see who is interested first. icon_smile.gif Would you and Sheik like to play if I ran a game?

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Oh wow, Mafia. I love this game. My friends and I play it all the time, using a bunch of complications like Godfather, Trapper, Detective, etc. I'd love to get a game going on Pure. Just a warning, I can be sneaky. I was the narrator once, and made myself a mafia. The surprising thing was, everybody guessed me first round. Yeah, not sure how, but it was fun. icon_razz.gif

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hm... This sounds interesting. I remember playing this a few times before. If we were to hold a game here, I think I'd like to give it a shot. icon_smile.gif

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 5 2010, 07:44 AM) View Post
Oh wow, Mafia. I love this game. My friends and I play it all the time, using a bunch of complications like Godfather, Trapper, Detective, etc. I'd love to get a game going on Pure. Just a warning, I can be sneaky. I was the narrator once, and made myself a mafia. The surprising thing was, everybody guessed me first round. Yeah, not sure how, but it was fun. icon_razz.gif

It'd be more impressive if it had worked! icon_wink.gif

Anyway, if I play Narrator, I'll stay out of the game (at least until someone else wants to take over, on a later game). It's simpler that way.

QUOTE(Blaman @ Oct 5 2010, 07:59 AM) View Post
Hm... This sounds interesting. I remember playing this a few times before. If we were to hold a game here, I think I'd like to give it a shot. icon_smile.gif

Sounds good so far.

Hmmm.... what do you all think would be a good number of players? Eight? Ten?... Remember, the more players, the longer you stay dead between games.

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, I would play, Radien. icon_smile.gif

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

10's a pretty good number, I'd say shoot for that.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hmmm. I could plan for 8-10 players, perhaps, depending on interest? It should be able to handle 12 but I'd rather keep the player count low for the first game.

#11 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

I'd play if you started up a game, I loved it when I played before. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Daemon, 05 October 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#12 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

I think I could be up for something like this. icon_smile.gif

I remember a Mafia game someone ran in OTBP a couple years ago. I think it was 6 Town vs. 3 Mafia. Town won in two days.

#13 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'd love to get in on this too. I played Mafia with some people from Vent a couple of times.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

Well, it looks like we've got six already, if you all are able to stick with it. Thanks for your interest. icon_smile.gif Let me start an informal sign-up sheet:

[EDIT:]
I moved the sign-up list to the first post in the thread, just for easy reference. Check there.
[/EDIT]

This doesn't matter right now, since everybody's in so far, but it'll matter if we go over the max number of players. I'd like to limit it to 7 for the first game. Just one more spot left!...

Also, once we've got everybody I'll post a list of possible roles to play with. I suggest we use only the simpler roles to start off with. We can add more later to spice up subsequent games. Additionally, this will help everybody to learn how the roles work, with just 2-3 new roles per game.

Once we start a game I'll open up a thread for it in Message Board Games.

P.S. - Do you want me to determine randomly which players get which character roles, or shall I choose how to assign them myself?... icon_snide.gif

EDIT: I decided to go for 7 players instead of 8. The guide I am using recommends 7 players as ideal, and the starting number of players should always be odd. We can increase the game size if everything goes well.

Edited by Radien, 17 October 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#15 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 6 2010, 09:51 AM) View Post

P.S. - Do you want me to determine randomly which players get which character roles, or shall I choose how to assign them myself?... icon_snide.gif

I'd say you should assign them yourself. That'd be more interesting for everybody somehow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users