Please have a read of this...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this topic, but recently we've run into a rather unusual bug with the 'Screen->CreateNPC();' ZScript command.

It's been reported, but it's intermittent, and so damned hard to pick up.

DarkDragon has added a more extensive error report to do with broken NPC pointers to Allegro.log, but so far the bug still hasn't been fully reported.

So what we need is people to play through a quest where the problem has been known to occur before, and then when it does, go into Allegro.log, and post any error messages found up here.

To that end, I've compiled a 'Boss Rush' version of The Fort Knights, which can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8bm9jdmddxc

So if anyone could help, that would be great.
It'll need to be done in one of the last 3 or so betas though, otherwise there'll be no point, because of the allegro error message not being updated.

So in short, would anyone mind playing through the quest in the file above to see if they get any bosses crashing and not loading their movement patters, and if this occurs, post any error messages that are written in the allegro.log file in your ZC directory. Thanks.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

I could have a look at it and see what error messages the allegro log gives me. As soon as I download the newest beta. I've been quite happy with 718, and haven't downloaded a new one for quite a while.

#3 Fabmatu

Fabmatu

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

#4 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Fabmatu @ Feb 22 2008, 06:28 AM) View Post

Substanceless post. Doesn't contribute to the topic.

Please have a look at the rules link via my (or any other staff's) signature. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

#5 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

Edit: Exate posted just before me. Good eyes Exate.

I would do it, but I don't understand what we're looking for. icon_shrug.gif

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(rocksfan13 @ Feb 22 2008, 03:35 PM) View Post

I would do it, but I don't understand what we're looking for. icon_shrug.gif

The "NPC" script bug that messes up custom bosses, for example in Joe's two weeks contest quest.
Just download the latest alpha, play the example quest Joe provided and then open the "allegro.log", copy paste what you find here.
Or so I understood. It also can be a good idea to put it into a text file, host it, and link to it.
Correct me Joe, if I misinterpreted anything. I will do what I just said if I don't forget it, like I forgot it a few hours ago...

#7 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

I tried in v731 and couldn't get it to fail/crash ZC. I think I got to the 4th boss at that point (a few different times). Does the bug cause ZC to crash and close up?

I had once where from the first boss to the second it warped me in the water and wouldn't let me on the floor. I just ESC and CONT to get past it though. Is that the kind of bug(s) you are looking for? If so, I'll check the Allegro.log next time immediately.

Also, my Allegro is a .txt file. Same thing?
Just checking.

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(jerome @ Feb 22 2008, 04:58 PM) View Post

I tried in v731 and couldn't get it to fail/crash ZC. I think I got to the 4th boss at that point (a few different times). Does the bug cause ZC to crash and close up?

I had once where from the first boss to the second it warped me in the water and wouldn't let me on the floor. I just ESC and CONT to get past it though. Is that the kind of bug(s) you are looking for? If so, I'll check the Allegro.log next time immediately.

Also, my Allegro is a .txt file. Same thing?
Just checking.

Yes, the TXT file what you need. Also, ordinary design bugs doesn't count now. Crashing does count, and I think it's also notable when the boss graphics are OK, but the hitbox and projectile shooting of the boss is in a corner.

Also, I played through without seeing any crash or bugs. Then I looked into Allegro (Wow, I feel myself developer by saying that.) and saw a horrid amount of text, but no any suspicious. Just "opened this and that" lines, then a gigantic amount of numbers, then, the "opened this and that" thing again, then some three line packs, all consisting the same (decrypting, opening and a third one).

I play more and see if anything changes.

Also, is the third boss supposed to be invisible? I couldn't beat it without cheats with it's random teleporting... I don't remember it was hard when I was playing the actual quest.

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

Oh sorry, what you're looking for is:
When the screen loads with the boss, the boss's invisible enemy is hidden in the top left hand corner instead of on-top of it's graphic, and it's attacks come from that space too.

The third boss is invisible unless you wear the gold tunic, and if you're stuck in the water by the second one if you put on the blue tunic, you'll be able to swim.
You'll also take constant damage from the first boss if you don't put on the red tunic.
Not that that's related to the bug though.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

Would testing it on Beta 730(linux) also help? Has it occured before or during 731?

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

730 would be great.

I think it's up of 718, but I'm not entirely sure because I couldn't find the exact change in the log.

Edited by Joe123, 22 February 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#12 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Feb 22 2008, 05:20 PM) View Post

Oh sorry, what you're looking for is:
When the screen loads with the boss, the boss's invisible enemy is hidden in the top left hand corner instead of on-top of it's graphic, and it's attacks come from that space too.

The third boss is invisible unless you wear the gold tunic, and if you're stuck in the water by the second one if you put on the blue tunic, you'll be able to swim.
You'll also take constant damage from the first boss if you don't put on the red tunic.
Not that that's related to the bug though.

Ah, so it's the infamous "boss' heart is in the corner" thing that ruined your custom bosses at that time. Well, at least now I could play them now normally. I realized those "tunics" things now, because I played it all over and over, so I could realize things.

But since the bug didn't occur even after I was just going and going over these bosses (now the last boss' room automatically teleports me to the first one, unlike first time), I need to think that the bug is fixed... in the latest alpha.

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

Yes, well, the game is just the four bosses in a row.

And I'd like to think the bug's fixed, but all that's been done is more extensive error reports...

#14 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

Scorry i played the bosses don't know how many times and never came arcoss any bug
(excpet the one where the bosses best place to hit was the upper left) (build 735)

#15 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Feb 22 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Scorry i played the bosses don't know how many times and never came arcoss any bug
(excpet the one where the bosses best place to hit was the upper left) (build 735)

Err... especially that is the bug we are looking for... as soon as such happens, you need to copy/paste the allegro.log file's text here, or rather host it as a text file and link it here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users