#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

Open The Legend of Zelda: 2.5 + Koten

CcuK2Uw.png

Information:
This is a full, unpassworded, forkable, remake of the first 1986 Legend of Zelda game, both quests, in 2.5's Classic, and Koten. Should be 100% NES authentic, save for some new tiles, and animations from the 2.5 set. Please use this only with ZC 2.50.2. Using an older version may cause issues.

Description:
After a few months, this project is finally complete. This project re-creates the first Legend of Zelda in the 2.5 version of the Classic tileset, as well as in the Koten set. This includes the first, and second quests. This quest is also unpassworded, so anyone is free to open it up, look around, and see how things where done in the first Legend of Zelda. You are also free to package this, and use it with you own ZC forks, now that ZC is open source. My goal is that this becomes a learning tool, and a pack-in for ZC.

A bit about the development:
I started a thread wondering if there was something like this that already existed. When there wasn't, I decided to take it upon myself to re-create the first game using 2.5's Classic tile set layout. I completely redrew the OW from scratch. The dungeons in the first quest where also re-created screen by screen. For the second quest, I imported the dungeon maps into the quest file, and replaced the tiles in the newer versions. This turned out to be faster, cause I didn't have to set screens up outside of their graphics. This was a learning experience for me, even.

There were some additions, and changes that I've made to Koten, and even Classic to make this as faithful to the NES version(s) as possible, which I thought was kind of funny. Most of these are aesthetic changes.The new version of Classic uses animated water. When you drain the lake with the whistle, the drained water still animates, as it only changes the palette, this looked weird, so Classic got some stationary water for those screens. Koten had to have some similar water additions cause the drained lake screen secrets don't work outside of Classic properly.

Here's some other random notes, and changes made for Koten.

• Removed extra pixels from left/ right doors which made them look off next to the walls.
  • Corrected the dungeon template on the left side of the screen. This is still technically off, but it is better than it was. I don't feel like applying the template to every screen by hand, since the "apply Template to all" just doesn't work for whatever reason. This should be fully corrected in the second quest, and I might, MIGHT make an update later if I feel motivated to the first quest. It's just not that big of a deal.
  • Made the water solid.
  • Added palettes for Link's blue, red, and gold ring. (custom)
  • Added sprite c-sets for Aquamentus, Digdogger, Gleeok, and Ganon. (copied from elsewhere in the set)
  • Added "Dry Lake" Water tiles.
  • Changed Lv2 Moblins from that weird orange, to a blue c-set.
  • Added names to all d-maps, for learning purposes.

If there any bugs (which there shouldn't be) please let me know so I can fix them ASAP.

Here is the Quest Project Forum for this project, for posterity's sake. There are also some screens, and maps in there under the comments.

Story:
(Copied from the manual)

In the distant past, when the world was still in chaos…

In a small kingdom in the Hyrule region, golden triangles with mystical powers – known as Triforces – were passed down from generation to generation.

One day, however, the Great Demon King Ganon, who sought to rule the world with darkness and fear, invaded this kingdom with his evil army and stole the Triforce of “Power”.

Fearing his evil reign, Zelda, the princess of this small kingdom, in an attempt to protect the remaining Triforce of “Wisdom”, split it into eight fragments and hid them throughout the land.

At the same time, she ordered Impa, her most trustworthy nursemaid, to search for someone brave enough to defeat Ganon and helped her secretly escape.

Upon learning of this, Ganon grew furious, imprisoned the princess, and sent pursuers after Impa.

Impa desperately fled through forests and over mountains, but, eventually out of energy, she found herself surrounded by Ganon’s minions.

She was in a desperate situation!

Just then, a lone boy appeared, skillfully confused the minions, and rescued Impa.

His name was Link. He came across this situation during a journey.

Impa told him the entire story.

Link, burning with a sense of justice, resolved to rescue the princess, but to stand up against Ganon and his Triforce of “Power” he absolutely must gather the fragments of the Triforce of “Wisdom” and complete it.

Otherwise, he won’t even be able to infiltrate Death Mountain, where Ganon lives.

Will Link be able to defeat Ganon and save the princess?

It all rests on YOUR skill.

Tips and Cheats:
This is a faithful, NES authentic remake of the first game. It is also unpassworded, so you can open it in ZC. If you get stuck, look around. Or, subscribe to Nintendo Power, or call 1 (800) 255-3700 (service, and airtime fees may apply. Please see your phone carrier for details).

Credits:
Nintendo: Making The Legend of Zelda.
Warlord, and Phantom_Menace: Making ZC, and ripping/ creating the first tileset, and quest.
DragonDePlatino: Creator of Koten.
Anthus: Remaking the game with 2.5, and Koten.
And you for existing so that someone can use this.

Download it here. "Open The Legend of Zelda: 2.5 Classic + Koten" v. 1.2 (Uses ZC 2.50.2)

Updates:

Updated 4.11.16 (1.2)

• Found, and added authentic NES music in the form of an .nsf file that must be placed in the same folder as ZC.
  • Added a very brief readme to explain how .nsf files work.

Updated 4.6.16 (1.1)

• Fixed ending strings.
  • Fixed ladder in Koten 1st.
  • Fixed OW mini-map in Koten 2nd.
  • Added corner traps to the Bow room, and the room before Gohma in both 1st Quests.

Version 1.0 was released on 4.5.16.

And happy belated 30th, Zelda series!

• Shane, Erdrick, HammerGuy and 5 others like this

#2 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

I've been looking for another first quest remake that I'd enjoy, so I'll be giving this a shot!
  • Anthus likes this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

UY5HWRk.png?1

Good quest! Fix the ending string though.

I opened the quest file and changed some things around, like allowing 8-way movement and slash, and then played from there. I enjoyed it quite a bit!

• Anthus likes this

#4 Quanta

Quanta

King of Thieves

• Members

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

There is a bug with the heart container on the east side of the map, I can't seem to use the ladder to get to it... (presumably because of the solid water) In fact, you can't use the  ladder on any water.

Edited by Ganondorf, 05 April 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#5 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:18 PM

There is a bug with the heart container on the east side of the map, I can't seem to use the ladder to get to it... (presumably because of the solid water) In fact, you can't use the  ladder on any water.

Yeah I had to fix that by editing the screen data

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

UY5HWRk.png?1

Good quest! Fix the ending string though.

I opened the quest file and changed some things around, like allowing 8-way movement and slash, and then played from there. I enjoyed it quite a bit!

I'm glad you did that, actually, cause that is the entire point. I want people to be able to do that. It blows my mind that there isn't a version of the first quest like this already.

As for the ending string, yeah, the change of font from another one back to NES messed with the spacing, on that one it looks like.

Hmm, yeah, that is totally my fault. I had the allow ladder anywhere rule on, but then turned it off, and forgot to toggle it on each screen. Which quest were you playing? And you should be happy Link can't find any hearts, it will make him easier for you to kill! :P

Yeah I had to fix that by editing the screen data

This will be fixed in the next update, so it actually works from the boot lol. 

Looks like I'm gonna have to replay these in the next few days, heh,

• Matthew likes this

#7 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

why couldn't this go in the database? It's not as if we disallow first quest remakes, and this would actually be useful for people who wants a base to look at and see how things were done.
  • Anthus likes this

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

Not really a fan of Koten at all but this is good work anyway.

• Anthus likes this

#9 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

why couldn't this go in the database? It's not as if we disallow first quest remakes, and this would actually be useful for people who wants a base to look at and see how things were done.

Any quests that attempt to remake 1st.qst, 2nd.qst, etc. must revolutionize the player's experience in a meaningful way. Quests with only trivial graphical or gameplay updates will not be admitted.

I do think at the very least this should be a pinned thread in the hopes that this doesn't fall into obscurity. It's useful and something we should of had a long time ago. :shrug:
  • Anthus and Jenny like this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

Thank you, guys. The database staff had discussed it, and deemed that it was too similar to be accepted, regardless of its mission statement. I was not happy about this, but I've accepted it. I may make an original 3rd quest with it too, so it has something new, and could be added :P I'm only half kidding, but I wouldn't want to disappoint people if I lost motivation, and stopped working on it, so we'll have to see.

I will also be working on a minor update, and hopefully getting it up some time today. I can't believe that ladder thing slipped through, cause I was sure I tested that.. in one of the quests at least. d' oh.

#11 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

I mean shane, I realise why that rule is a thing, but this is not really a quest for playing, it's more of an educational thing as well as a tileset showcase, I guess.
  • Anthus likes this

#12 HammerGuy

HammerGuy

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Couldn't the underutilized tutorials section be retrofitted into a misc. resources page and fit it in there?

• Anthus and Mani Kanina like this

#13 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

I do really like the concept behind it. It should definitely be pinned so people can see it and learn from it.

Edited by FlameCursed, 06 April 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#14 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Noticed a few small errors, such as level 1's Bow room and the room just before Gohma in level 6 missing corner traps. Otherwise, pretty accurate with the 1st quest. I'll play the 2nd one later.

• Anthus likes this

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

I tested the ladder in all 4 quests just now, and it seems that the Koten 1st quest is the only quest with that issue, for some reason. I'm also really, really wanting to change the music from the horrendous MIDI files. ZoriaRPG offered me a rather large collection of wav files, but they are huuuuuuuuge (Each quest would be like 20MB). I want some nsf files, or something.

I might also make a post in the Tutorials Forum, or something. I think that might not be a bad place for it. I also would like to submit it over on AGN, but I am unable to find a file hosting service that generates a download link that ends in ".zip" as per their submission guidelines. I've tried both DropBox, and Google Drive, and I don't want to sign up for any new services unless I'm sure it will work. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just saw RMA's post. Oh, that's a good catch. I probably missed a few traps in some rooms, since they don't show up in the editor. It will be fixed. :) I also looked at the end string in Koten. For some reason, ZC ignores the font selected for the end string, and displays it in the default font. All other Koten strings use the LA font, except that line. In the editor, it was typed in LA font, which goofed the spacing. It's fixed now though. 

EDIT 2: The Quests have been updated (Woo). Fixes include:

• Fixed ending strings.
  • Fixed ladder in Koten 1st.
  • Fixed OW mini-map in Koten 2nd.
  • Added corner traps to the Bow room, and the room before Gohma.

I also switched to Dropbox for the host. Let me know if it still downloads okay. File names and header are unchanged, so there shouldn't be any reason to restart. Thanks again guys for showing interest, and support :)

• KingPridenia and Matthew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Quest Release, Tutorial, Example

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users